“Not a good experience” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #76 of 112 Hotels in Kansas City
Wichita, Kansas
“Not a good experience”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

Booked 2 rooms blind on Priceline. It doesn't meet the star level that I was promised. Was charged an up-charge on site for double beds. Front desk service was friendly as they told us at check in if we wanted things like, shampoo or a hair dryer we had to ask for them. No ice maker on site. Got to the room, basic room. Older furnishings. Smoke detector was hanging from the ceiling. Bathroom was dirty with hair from previous customers in the floor and tub. Front desk is "closed" from 11p to 7a, but there is a person on site. After hours place was out of control. Drunk customers, loud, yelling, door slamming, music, etc. Not having someone present at the front desk is like telling people "You're unsupervised, go ahead, get out of control." And they did. No one in my party had a good nights rest because of the noise. They also vandalized the A/C controls and exit signs in the hallway, with broken plastic everywhere. I stepped outside in the middle of the night, since I couldn't sleep, to smoke and was locked out. Card didn't work to open the door. Used phone to call the night auditor to let me in. He was rude and just opened the door and walked off. Not saying a word. The "grab and go" breakfast was a joke. Granola bars and bad coffee. The AM maintenance person walking around, cleaning up, etc. was blaring music from his in side out head phones and didn't greet us as we walked by him 3 times. Rude. I would NEVER stay in this or any other ESA property again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Recie
vguerke, Manager at Extended Stay America - Kansas City - Country Club Plaza, responded to this review, April 13, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to fill out a survey regarding your recent stay with us. I apologize that we failed to meet your expectation during your stay with us. We take great pride in providing a home away from home experience for our guests and we disappointed you in that regard. I will use your survey as a tool to work with my team members to improve our guest experiences in the future. Again, thank you for providing us with your valued opinions. If you would like to discuss your stay with us further, then please contact me at plz@extendedstay.com We hope to have the opportunity to serve you in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

I spent 3 nights here for work. The rooms were updated and clean. These are my top 2 qualifications for a good hotel. Flat screen tv, comfy bed, clean floors, newer carpet, clean bathroom. What more can you ask for? I also liked the kitchenette. It didn't take up much space and very useful, good layout. Two thumbs up from me!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars
vguerke, Manager at Extended Stay America - Kansas City - Country Club Plaza, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Thank you for your great review of our property. It's great to hear that we met your expectations. We recently went through a refresh and are thrilled that you enjoyed our new amenities. Thank you again for sharing your experience with us. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future!
Joplin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

This place is a dump. The exterior looks nice, but the inside is a wreck. Upon arrival we verified our nonsmoking request. The desk clerk was friendly, confirmed our nonsmoking request, and gave us our key. Walking into the room was like walking into a bar that has been smoked in for years. My husband went back to the desk and explained that we have asthma and need a nonsmoking room. The desk clerk said our room was nonsmoking, but it was next door to a smoking room and perhaps the smell was crossing through. She graciously moved us to another floor. While my husband was gone, I discovered a bounty of insect carcuses on the bathroom floor. Perhaps they were asthmatic too! We moved to a new room without any stale smoke smells or dead bugs, but plenty of mildew in the shower and a fair share so pubic hair on the bathroom floor. At that point we pulled out the Clorox disinfectant wipes and gave the room a once over. We laughed it off and enjoyed our evening in KC's fabulous Plaza. The positives of this hotel include location, unit controlled AC/heat, and full kitchen (long term stays for hospital guests). The drawbacks include smoking odors, lack of cleanliness, wear and tear, and paper-thin walls. I'm not high maintenance. This place is just a dump.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars
vguerke, Manager at Extended Stay America - Kansas City - Country Club Plaza, responded to this review, March 23, 2013
I received a copy of your review, and wanted to take a moment to personally respond. The condition of the guest room you described is not acceptable, and I sincerely apologize for your experience. In response to your feedback, I am holding a full staff meeting to share your experience and provide additional training to ensure that this does not happen again. I am grateful for the feedback you provided so we are able to continually improve our hotel. If you have any additional feedback, please reach out to me at plz@extendedstay.com. We would love to have another chance to provide you with a better experience at our hotel the next time you're in town.
Nashville, Tennessee
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

Not Family Friendly, Many Using this Hotel as Apartment! Fights in Hallways on two separate occassions. Police called once and overall many people using this Hotel as more than an extended stay but as a "home" or "apartment", their words. Staff was mildly friendly but not accommodating at all. Breakfast terrible and cleaning service not good. Had to move rooms as shower leaked into room below and i fell as floor was covered in water. All the attendant did regarding my fall was hand me extra towels and ask to clean up the mess and turn off the water.

Internet very slow and overall room very outdated & dirty. Not a family-friendly, safe atmosphere.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Kansas City - Country Club Plaza, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
I received a copy of your review, and wanted to take a moment to personally respond. The situations you described are not acceptable, and I sincerely apologize for your experience. To make sure this doesn't happen again, I am working with my team members and providing additional training to improve the level of service we provide our guests.

I am grateful for the feedback you provided so we are able to continually improve our hotel. We would love to have another chance to provide you with a better experience at our hotel the next time you're in town.
Kansas City, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

Stayed here during round 2 of Kansas City's snowstorm for 2 nights. The hotel just recently changed hands, it was a Homestead. Price was high but it was a last minute reservation so that's understandable. The rooms have a stovetop, microwave, ample counter space and a flat screen tv. Bed was comfortable. Breakfast was coffee, fruit and oatmeal, not anything special but adequate. The location is convenient to the plaza. Front desk staff was nice and the maintenance guy even shoveled my car out of the snow!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Kansas City - Country Club Plaza, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Thank you for your great review of our property. I'm so pleased to hear that our staff went above the call of duty to help you dig out your vehicle. We certainly appreciate all of the kind things you said. Thank you again for sharing your experience with us. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future!
Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

I used to work in KC and whenever I visit town, this has been my go-to place. For it's location next to the Country Club Plaza, you cannot beat the price for the quality. Never had a bad experience. Clean rooms, excellent location, as good as any room at other nearby hotels that charge twice as much.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank rungeoff
vguerke, Manager at Extended Stay America - Kansas City - Country Club Plaza, responded to this review, January 13, 2013
Thank you for your great review of our property. I'm so pleased to hear that we are your number one choice when you travel to Kansas City and that you are always pleased with the price, quality and service. Thank you for choosing Extended Stay Hotels. We hope to see you again soon!
KC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

My family and I had a power outage and was able to obtain as last minute reservation at Homestead. It fit into all our needs, close to our jobs, schools and just was just overall enjoyable. It was no hassle. We enjoyed the kitchenette and the cable TV on the flat screens. I would definitely give our stay experience a whooping 8 out 10!

Room Tip: The rooms on the first floor are perfect for small children!