“Everything I hoped it would be!”

The Raphael Hotel, Autograph Collection
Ranked #1 of 108 Hotels in Kansas City
Lansing
“Everything I hoped it would be!”
Reviewed February 20, 2011

It was so fun! We went there for my boyfriends birthday/valentines day. Everything turned out great. All the ammenties in the romance package made the whole experience worthwhile. And then being so close to all the resturants and shopping on the plaza was great. We walked to Houstons and the dinner was perfect. I cant wait to go back.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LansingButterfly

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (265)
topeka, ks
Reviewed February 15, 2011

My wife and I planned to come up to the Plaza from Topeka, KS for Valentines day and to go to the Capital Grille (which was amazing and you need to go to; read my review) and to stay here. The entire hotel seems to be pretty clean and nice considering its age. We got a presidential suite to be fancy for our date night. The room was everything we expected from the description online; nice big tub, a neat walk-in shower, very comfortable king-sized bed, it was very nice. The little bit of contact with staff we've had, has been very good with nice friendly people. When we came back from our meal at about 8:30, they had two fire pits outside where people were standing around with wine glasses, which seemed pretty fun! I especially like the remote blinds/curtains on the windows :) The only thing I have to complain about is that we ordered a cheese tray for room service from their Chaz restaurant. In the menu it cost $7, but after all of the charges (which the menu states, but I didn't realize it'd be so much) it came to almost $16! Plus, the tray only had seven, yes seven, pieces of cheese! So at about $2 per piece of tiny cheese...I'm not happy about with that, no matter how fancy the cheese is. Just wasn't what we were expecting. But that's probably more against Chaz, and not the hotel, so I still gave 5 out of 5 instead of 4 :) But all in all, it was a nice little getaway!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed February 14, 2011

An A+ hotel with emenities galor (weather report in the evening for the next day weather, mint, and turn down service). Location of hotel is close to shopping, eating, and night time entertainment complex (movie theater close by). Area map available with over 40 shops,etc. Staff greet you regularly and are extremely helpful. Helped arrange transportation (executive car). Room was spectacular - junior suite with jucazzi and walk in shower. Blinds/curtains were electronic. Living room with coffee/tea was nice since it was seperated from living quarters. Would stay in this hotel again and again.

Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
theraphael, General Manager at The Raphael Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, February 15, 2011
Thank you for staying at the Raphael!
Durham, North Carolina
Reviewed February 5, 2011

The Raphael Hotel is a classic city hotel in the European style. Our room overlooking the Country Club Plaza was lovely and large, yet somehow cozy at the same time. The decor was traditional and reminds one of other classic hotels like the Greenbrier in West Virginia and the Waldorf-Astoria in New York. The bath was spacious and well appointed, and all was very clean. The room and bath contained fine amenities like one would expect in a hotel of this type, and an extra-nice touch was the pretty bag containing the daily paper that was hung on the door each morning. We greatly appreciated the free parking in the lot behind the hotel, and we were terrifically surprised by how much we enjoyed the restaurant, Chaz (an unfortunate name for a fine restaurant), for breakfast. How wonderful to find a concise menu containing just the right breakfast items, attentive service, and elegant decor--a most welcome antidote to those awful breakfast buffets found in far too many hotels these days. We will definitely make the Raphael our home-away-from-home when traveling to Kansas City.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
theraphael, General Manager at The Raphael Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, February 13, 2011
Thank you for your positive comments and thank you for staying at the Raphael!
Kansas City
Reviewed January 31, 2011

Our stay was delightful. However, upon checkin, our room wasn't ready (although we were promised early check-in.) The front desk staff happily offered a free room upgrade, which was nice. We apprecrated the personal touches throughout our stay. When I made our online reservation, I mentioned that I was celebrating my husband's birthday as the reason for our stay. From start to finish, we received birthday greetings from staff (upon check-in, complimentary bottle of wine, birthday card, and chocolates to room). I appreciated the follow-up phone calls to our room from staff, checking that room and room service was up to our expectations. The only minor suggestion I have is that it would've been nice to have a glass of ice water included with our room service. Bed was cozy; nice view. All staff we encountered were cheery and cordial. We've already recommended this hotel to friends and family and will definitely stay here again. No wonder it's rated a top hotel worldwide. It's a Kansas City gem!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the feedback!
sydney
Reviewed January 14, 2011

As I had never been to Kansas before I thought I would check out what people were writing about where to stay in Kansas. The Raphael had mainly positive comments hence my stay. What a beautiful hotel. Service amazing location amazing rooms beautiful. I loved my stay in Raphael . It is a small boutique hotel which I loved. Only negative I could say is dont order the sorbet for dessert from the restaurant. As all you receive is 3 small spoonfulls.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
theraphael, General Manager at The Raphael Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, January 22, 2011
Thank you for your comments I will review your impressions of the sorbet with our Executive Chef.

Best Regards,

Carol Chandler
Omaha, NE
Reviewed January 13, 2011

We stayed at the Raphael one night between Christmas and New Years. It was our second time there. Our key did not open our room, requiring another trip to the front desk. The toilet seat was loose.The refrigerator in the sitting room was so loud that I unplugged it in order to watch TV. The volume control on the bedside radio was stuck in one position that was too loud to comfortably listen to.
I would have told them about these issues at checkout but I wasn't asked how our stay was. The treadmills in the fitness center are in good shape, Startracs with the built in TV's, but we just didn't feel the love this time, especially for @$200 per night.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MidniteCruiser
theraphael, General Manager at The Raphael Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, January 28, 2011
I am so sorry you we were disappointed with your stay at the Raphael. Please contact me to directly so I may personally address your concerns.

Best Regards,