“Very Nice - Great Location” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Raphael Hotel, Autograph Collection

The Raphael Hotel, Autograph Collection
Ranked #1 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
Richardson, Texas
“Very Nice - Great Location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2010

My wife and I stayed here two nights on our Labor Day Weekend KC BBQ Tour (of my own design). The hotel is a four star, in my opinion, and we enjoyed our stay very much. The staff really goes out of their way to be helpful and the suite we stayed in was extra nice.

Location just of Plaza is great. I highly recommend.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (249)
Tun Wells
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2010

Came to Kansas from lil old England for work and found this hotel was really nice - modern, clean, great TVs, beds, wifi and location into the pristine world of Kansas city centre... never have i seen a cleaner street, a whiter sidewalk (check the lingo) and well pruned hedges...

The flight from JFK to Kansas was pretty hairy, so to be greated by a warm bed, wide screen basketball, coffee machine, nice showers and an array of steakhouses was good prep for the week ahead.

Raphael is opposite another massive hotel (one of the big chains), which also looked nice, but this place had a few more sculpted walls, brass handles and insightful local hints (i.e. dont watch baseball and go to the Irish (there's always one) bar).

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
kansas city
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2010

My husband & I had not been to the Raphael since our honeymoon 19 years ago. To celebrate my birthday and to be at a hotel close to the city's Max bus service so we could enjoy the Irish Festival at Crown Center without driving/parking, we decided to give it a try.
Having stayed at the Intercontinental Hotel across the street and the Crown Center Westin, we believe for a couple, the Raphael is a better choice. The hotel was just rennovated, rooms well appointed, extremely clean & quiet, and its affordable yet high end restaurant can't be beat. Service was much friendlier and accomodating than the Intercontinental & its location can't be beat. Yes, standard rooms are small as are their closets but for us, it added to the intimate nature of our visit. P.S. If you are into fitness, their fitness room is one of the best & was at no charge. Safe outdoor running, too.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank KCtravelr
Des Moines, Iowa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2010

Based on the positive reviews of the Raphael, I booked 2 nights for a surprise weekend get away to celebrate our 15th anniversary. It seemed the Raphael would be perfect. Let me start by saying that the hotel itself is lovely. We arrived on a Friday evening and were greeted by a string quartet playing on the patio out front. The decor was beautiful, the rooms were charming and well-appointed. It seemed I'd made the right choice.

However, having said that, after checking in, we were put in the wrong room. I had booked a 2 room king suite overlooking the plaza and we were put in a standard room. I then had to call the front desk and confirm I had booked a 2 room suite. They said they could move us....we ended up waiting about 10 minutes for someone to come get us and show us to a new room. This was disappointing as it took some of the "wow" factor away once we got to suite. Also, the new room was a 2 room suite but it was on the first floor which was also disappointing. When we asked the guy (William) why we were put in the wrong room he said they had overbooked. This was annoying considering I'd booked our suite about 7 weeks out. After expressing my annoyance, he offered to give me 50.00 off the bill. This seemed fair and I agreed to it. However, upon checking in, I had paid in full with cash. After William left he called back up and said they didn't know how to refund cash. He then offered to buy us a round of drinks at the bar instead. I told him we would never drink 50.00 worth of drinks and that I wanted the money instead. I could tell he was annoyed but he said he'd see what he could do. It took them about 2 hours to figure out how to refund 50.00 back in cash. For a hotel of this caliber I found this to be ridiculous.

The rest of our time spent at the Raphael went by without incident. We ate breakfast at Chaz and thought it very good. Other than that we spent very little time at the hotel.

Had decided that although it was a bumpy start to our stay, we'd probably still go back and stay at the Raphael again.....until 2 days ago when I opened my credit card bill and saw a 50.00 charge on my card from the Raphael. I had given them my card number to cover any incidentals incurred during our stay....which there were none incurred. So I had to waste my time, call the Raphael, leave a voice mail in the billing dept and wait to be called back. She called back and I was told it was a "mistake" and they would be taking the charge off the card. I have to say I found this to be inexcusable.

While the hotel itself is lovely, we found the service to reminiscent of a Motel 8...not the service expected of an upscale boutique hotel that touts its "vintage hospitality and highly-individualized service". We won't be back, nor will we recommend it.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank iowamomof4
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2010

Wonderful hotel! Elegant, classy, refined. First class from the moment I arrived and the bellman took my bags and parked my car. Room was actually a small suite with living room and separate bedroom. A little small but very well decorated. Large flat-screen TV in the living room and a slightly smaller one in the bedroom.

If you want an elegant hotel in the Plaza, look no further! I will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank JRMChicago
Kansas City
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2010

We stayed at the Raphael for our 1 year anniversary. My wife hasn't experienced much of Kansas City yet so we made it a day and night about KC. The staff and Hotel were great. Room was very clean, and it had TVs everywhere including over the whirlpool tub. I really thought it was a good choice, but was disappointed in the fact that everything everything other than the room cost extra. For the price, and for the experience, they really should not charge for things like the snack bar. They should also offer things like complimentary meal in your room, or breakfast , etc. I did enjoy staying there, but I have been to places that treat you better for less.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank DadGum
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2010

Dear Raphael Team & Trip Advisor Viewers,

My experience at the Raphael was absolutely amazing! I encountered outstanding service, excellent food and great entertainment; this hotel is the perfect choice for a weekend get-a-way or business.

It is truly a first-class operation, with an excellent location and within budget means!

It offers a refinement and culture to your travel experience and is a cut-above the customary/traditional hotel brand.

Keep up the good work!