I booked a King Suite, Plaza View for one night for my wife and me as part of a belated birthday trip to Kansas City. Though we live a couple hours away, we are regular weekend visitors to KC for shopping, dining, and overall R&R. We have stayed on the Plaza many times over the past 15 years, and have normally booked one of several national chain properties there. But for this trip, I decided to splurge and make good on the long-held desire to stay at the Raphael. Certainly more expensive, but I'm pleased we did. I must say, though, that there were a few minor glitches. Easily corrected, but still somewhat disappointing nonetheless. Happily, the pros outweighed the cons. The cons first: At check-in, we did not get the Plaza View suite I had reserved online. This became apparent immediately on opening the suite door; we were clearly on the back side of the hotel, not on the Plaza side. Since Plaza View rooms carry a higher rate, I wanted to make sure we got what we were paying for, so an elevator ride back down to the front desk was in order. The switch was made after a rather lengthy delay while the clerk keyboarded and studied her screen. She did offer two breakfast coupons for the trouble, much appreciated but not taken since we had other breakfast plans made. Also, later that evening in the lounge, I was served a glass of straight gin instead of the gin and tonic I asked for. Again, easily fixed. But, two mistakes during moment of truth situations--wrong room, wrong drink. Those are basics, folks. The pros: Most important of all, the room was clean, top to bottom and side to side. The room was very nice, and as Glenn R noted here, a true suite--two separate areas divided by a real wall between the bedroom and the sitting room. Multicolor decor was really well coordinated, not just sprayed monotone. Very nice bath (on the small side and boy were those floor tiles cold!) but very nicely appointed with white subway tile and interesting details. Decent showerhead and water pressure. Two LG flat panel TV's, a bigger one in the sitting room and a slightly smaller one in the bedroom, with lots of good channels and a clear picture. Comfortable king bed, plenty of pillows, very nicely carpeted throughout, Kuerig coffee service (did not use), high quality bath amenities, 24-hour room service (not used), quick and couteous valet parking (free, believe it or not) and snacks/drinks available in the room (for a price, of course, and also not used) really made this a nice stay. On check-out, our only real regret was that we hadn't spent more time actually enjoying the room instead of across Brush Creek shopping, eating, and movie-watching. Oh, well, maybe next time. And I'm pretty sure there will be a next time!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Raphael Hotel is an elegant, charming boutique accommodation modeled on the finest small European hotels. Readers of Travel+Leisure voted The Raphael Hotel one of the 2014 T+L 500 World's Best Hotels. With a combination of a significant historic landmark, vintage hospitality, and individualized service, this Kansas City luxury hotel delivers a unique destination experience in the heart of Kansas City, Missouri's famed Country Club Plaza.The hotel's signature restaurant, Chaz on the Plaza, is noted for its intimate, romantic atmosphere and its distinct brand of modern, regional American cuisine. Menus offer a concise, yet diverse variety of appetizers, salads, soups, entrees and desserts. Signature items include fried green tomatoes, shrimp and grits, and a hand-cut, wet-aged prime beef Kansas City strip steak that advances Kansas City's beef reputation. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Priceline, Hotwire, Odigeo, Agoda and Jetsetter so you can book your The Raphael Hotel, Autograph Collection reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Raphael Hotel, Autograph Collection Hotel Kansas City
- Raphael Hotel Kansas City
- Raphael Kansas City