“Perfect Hotel”

The Raphael Hotel, Autograph Collection
Ranked #1 of 111 Hotels in Kansas City
Reviewed April 29, 2011

We stayed for my wife's birthday- jennifer made our reservations and was a dream to work with she was friendly,professional and made everything easy and painless. Rick greeted us at the door and made us feel like we were coming home. Sam even went to the pepsi machine and got us two pepsi's from the vending machine since my wife and i do not drink coke - that was beyond what we expected. The beds are the best i have ever slept in at any hotel. The jacuzzi tub was so relaxing, everything made for a great way to celebrate my wife turning 50. thank you so much to the entire staff- anyone who goes to this hotel is in for a treat.

Room Tip: the jacuzzi suites !
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed April 18, 2011

This hotel goes the extra mile and does the little things that hotels used to do. I stayed for 2 nights and would have enjoyed staying a few more.

The staff was very courteous and always said hello and offered to help with anything.

Great Location - it was located a block from the middle of the plaza.

I only had breakfast at the restaurant in the hotel, but both times we enjoyed it.

Clean, updated, spacious rooms with everything you could need. The hotel and rooms had a cool mix of modern and old fashion style. Free internet was one of the many nice surprises.

The exercise room had everything you could need for a good workout.

I was sold on this place when I came back to my room after working all day, and coming back to a freshly made cookie and a hot chocolate for the Keurig in the room. Again it's just the little things that made me like this hotel even more.

I plan to stay here every time I'm in KC

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
theraphael, General Manager at The Raphael Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded April 19, 2011

I am so happy you enjyed your stay at the Raphael!

Reviewed April 17, 2011

We stayed for a Girl's Night in a suite with a view, and could not have been more amazed. Wonderful and friendly staff, very attentive, and willing to help with all of our requests. Room service was great in the morning. Definitely coming back for the next trip!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with friends

So glad you enjoyed your Girls Night at the Raphael!

Reviewed April 3, 2011

My husband used to stay here all the time when he traveled for business. We decided spur of the moment to go and stay over a Saturday night for our son's sporting event held in K.C. We got a suite overlooking the plaza, and it was fabulous! The main living room area was HUGE! with a six person full sized table, a desk, a pull out couch and two chairs, big sized tv. The bedroom was regular sized, with very comfy bed and linens. Great views of the plaza. Older style bathroom but fine.

Everyone was extremely friendly, from check in to bell staff to bar staff, we really felt welcome. We asked for a diet coke to go from their bar, the bartender told us about the live music later that night, said he hoped to see us later and waived off the price of the soda. Smart marketing, and yes, we did go back later (actually twice, before and after dinner and spent a quite a few bucks...we like good wine!) We also called the concierge for a pizza delivery recommendation for our teenager, and he was spot on (Waldo's, it's really good.)

It did not give this hotel a perfect rating because of a couple of really small things, most of which could be fixed. First, I love the free parking (and free wi fi!) Nice touch and then you don't feel nickel and dimed. But the parking is confusing. The first time we pulled up, hit the speaker and said we were checking in, and they raised the gate. The next time, after we had our key, we tried to slip the key into the slot , but the arm didn't raise. We saw a keypad so we then keyed in our room number. Still nothing happened. We pushed the speaker button to talk to someone, but no one answered. The arm then went up, though. Not a big deal but I think at check in they should ask if you have a car and then explain the procedure.

Next, we love our diet coke! There was a mini bar in our room but they did not offer us a key to it at check in, so I don't know if there was soda in there or not. We would have bought one or two or four $4 cokes, I'm sure, if we had a key and if it were stocked.

The pull out bed my son slept on in the living room was very uncomfortable...thin mattress and lumpy. I know pull outs aren't the best, but he has slept on much better at other hotels.

The other thing you really can't fix is noisy plumbing. We heard our neighbors flushing during the night and early morning... not a big deal but it was noisy.

The hotel is undergoing renovations including scaffolding on the front entrance and one redone elevator and one in dire need of updating. These things did not pose a problem at all, and I thought this is actually a good sign of upkeep.

Had lots of fun on our mini vacation and will be back.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
Thank MelvinaSt.Louis
theraphael, General Manager at The Raphael Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded April 12, 2011

We very much appreciate your feedback. I will be sure to share your comments with the staff.

Reviewed March 31, 2011

Stayed one night. Some construction going on in the entrance and lobby. Great restaurant/room service. Terrific shopping and restaurants within walking distance. Wonderful room with separate dining and living area. I will defininitely go back.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank jpatter1

Thank you for staying at the Raphael!

Reviewed March 21, 2011

I stayed in a suite at the Raphael with my husband. The hotel had a great ambiance with friendly staff always willing to provide help. Our suite overlooked the plaza and included 2 rooms. The bed was very comfortable with great bedding. The restaraunt was quiet and romantic with candles and white table cloths. Almost everything about the hotel was perfect. The only negatives would be room service (food arrived cold) and the elevators (really small and slow).
The hotel was lovely and we are already planning our next trip back!
We love staying at the plaza because of the shops and restaraunts. A trip is not complete without a trip to Jack Stack's BBQ for dinner. Swing by the Cheesecake Factory for a slice of cheesecake to go on your walk back to the hotel.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CG-Minneapolis
theraphael, General Manager at The Raphael Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded March 30, 2011

Thank you for your kind words. I am so glad you enjoyed your stay at the Raphael.

Reviewed March 12, 2011

This hotel was fantastic. It is historical which I love but more than that, it has a friendly, happy staff , complimentary valet parking and a wonderful location just across the street from the Plaza. The elevators were being renovated when I visited and this did make it challenging to get to your room but I know that if I enhoyed it this much with this issue, I will be even more happy when all is in working order during my next visit.

The decor of the Raphael is understated and elegant it is not over the top or modern in any way. The majority of the guests appeared to be 35+ and it probably would not be a good choice for children.

I thouroughly enjoyed the small bar and music at Chaz's downstairs and the breakfast food there is amazing!

Overall, a lovely relaxing stay!

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank lillah19
theraphael, General Manager at The Raphael Hotel, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded March 20, 2011

Thank you for your positive comments, I will share your review with the staff. Thank you for staying at the Raphael!