My husband used to stay here all the time when he traveled for business. We decided spur of the moment to go and stay over a Saturday night for our son's sporting event held in K.C. We got a suite overlooking the plaza, and it was fabulous! The main living room area was HUGE! with a six person full sized table, a desk, a pull out couch and two chairs, big sized tv. The bedroom was regular sized, with very comfy bed and linens. Great views of the plaza. Older style bathroom but fine.
Everyone was extremely friendly, from check in to bell staff to bar staff, we really felt welcome. We asked for a diet coke to go from their bar, the bartender told us about the live music later that night, said he hoped to see us later and waived off the price of the soda. Smart marketing, and yes, we did go back later (actually twice, before and after dinner and spent a quite a few bucks...we like good wine!) We also called the concierge for a pizza delivery recommendation for our teenager, and he was spot on (Waldo's, it's really good.)
It did not give this hotel a perfect rating because of a couple of really small things, most of which could be fixed. First, I love the free parking (and free wi fi!) Nice touch and then you don't feel nickel and dimed. But the parking is confusing. The first time we pulled up, hit the speaker and said we were checking in, and they raised the gate. The next time, after we had our key, we tried to slip the key into the slot , but the arm didn't raise. We saw a keypad so we then keyed in our room number. Still nothing happened. We pushed the speaker button to talk to someone, but no one answered. The arm then went up, though. Not a big deal but I think at check in they should ask if you have a car and then explain the procedure.
Next, we love our diet coke! There was a mini bar in our room but they did not offer us a key to it at check in, so I don't know if there was soda in there or not. We would have bought one or two or four $4 cokes, I'm sure, if we had a key and if it were stocked.
The pull out bed my son slept on in the living room was very uncomfortable...thin mattress and lumpy. I know pull outs aren't the best, but he has slept on much better at other hotels.
The other thing you really can't fix is noisy plumbing. We heard our neighbors flushing during the night and early morning... not a big deal but it was noisy.
The hotel is undergoing renovations including scaffolding on the front entrance and one redone elevator and one in dire need of updating. These things did not pose a problem at all, and I thought this is actually a good sign of upkeep.
Had lots of fun on our mini vacation and will be back.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Raphael Hotel is an elegant, charming boutique accommodation modeled on the finest small European hotels. Readers of Travel+Leisure voted The Raphael Hotel one of the 2015 T+L 500 World's Best Hotels. With a combination of a significant historic landmark, vintage hospitality, and individualized service, this Kansas City luxury hotel delivers a unique destination experience in the heart of Kansas City, Missouri's famed Country Club Plaza.The hotel's signature restaurant, Chaz on the Plaza, is noted for its intimate, romantic atmosphere and its distinct brand of modern, regional American cuisine. Menus offer a concise, yet diverse variety of appetizers, salads, soups, entrees and desserts. Signature items include fried green tomatoes, shrimp and grits, and a hand-cut, wet-aged prime beef Kansas City strip steak that advances Kansas City's beef reputation. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, Orbitz, Hotwire, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, HotelsforEveryone, Marriott, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and HRS so you can book your The Raphael Hotel, Autograph Collection reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Raphael Hotel, Autograph Collection Hotel Kansas City
- Raphael Hotel Kansas City
- Raphael Kansas City