Let me preface this by saying that the staff itself is great. They are really eager to please in a midwest way, so it actually seems sincere.
This is my first report, and this trip was single-handedly my reason for joining the site. I don't care to get into certain specifics as the whole debacle is ongoing. Let me just say that my party spent a significant amount of money at this hotel (let's just say >$5000), and the management ruined it completely. Enough that I told my label's travel department to avoid placing bands in this hotel (I work at one of the big four labels), because if the same thing happened to one our bands, their travel supervisor would be fired (which indeed happened at the JW Marriot in London a few years ago).
What was so bad? On the biggest night of the Plaza's year, when the hotel actively encourages partying in the rooms, we had to end the party early. And you'd think that in a certain room, it would be expected that partying would happen, right? Well the incompetent management didn't do simple tasks like correlating that rooms that ordered catering might be loud, and therefore should be placed together. But no, instead there were noise complaints... At 8:30... When there are fireworks going off and the hotel was in chaos.
They made us shut down the party at 9:30 (because how does anyone having an adult party control noise anyways). We never once received an apology, and actually the hotel management blamed it on us, saying that not every guest was there to party (BS, there's catering menus and a booklet of procedure on how the crowd control works).
This hotel is probably fine if you want a generic hotel with an interior that was bland in 1996 (plasma TVs don't make a room modern, and neither does tacky wallpaper), and if you want to have an anonymous visit to the city. The public areas are actually decent (although they should fire the furniture designers). However, if you want to have a gathering here, I wouldn't trust them as far as I can throw them. I'll stay in LA for next Thanksgiving.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to the InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza, where you will find impeccable service and all the luxuries you have come to expect from an InterContinental Hotel. Our luxuriously appointed guest rooms and superb meeting facilities are all just steps away from the Country Club Plaza entertainment district. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, IHG, Hotels.com, Priceline, Travelocity and Jetsetter so you can book your InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Intercontinental Kansas City At The Plaza Hotel Kansas City
- Kansas City Intercontinental
- Fairmont Hotel Kansas City