“Fire the management” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #7 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
Los Angeles, California
“Fire the management”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2010

Let me preface this by saying that the staff itself is great. They are really eager to please in a midwest way, so it actually seems sincere.

This is my first report, and this trip was single-handedly my reason for joining the site. I don't care to get into certain specifics as the whole debacle is ongoing. Let me just say that my party spent a significant amount of money at this hotel (let's just say >$5000), and the management ruined it completely. Enough that I told my label's travel department to avoid placing bands in this hotel (I work at one of the big four labels), because if the same thing happened to one our bands, their travel supervisor would be fired (which indeed happened at the JW Marriot in London a few years ago).

What was so bad? On the biggest night of the Plaza's year, when the hotel actively encourages partying in the rooms, we had to end the party early. And you'd think that in a certain room, it would be expected that partying would happen, right? Well the incompetent management didn't do simple tasks like correlating that rooms that ordered catering might be loud, and therefore should be placed together. But no, instead there were noise complaints... At 8:30... When there are fireworks going off and the hotel was in chaos.

They made us shut down the party at 9:30 (because how does anyone having an adult party control noise anyways). We never once received an apology, and actually the hotel management blamed it on us, saying that not every guest was there to party (BS, there's catering menus and a booklet of procedure on how the crowd control works).

This hotel is probably fine if you want a generic hotel with an interior that was bland in 1996 (plasma TVs don't make a room modern, and neither does tacky wallpaper), and if you want to have an anonymous visit to the city. The public areas are actually decent (although they should fire the furniture designers). However, if you want to have a gathering here, I wouldn't trust them as far as I can throw them. I'll stay in LA for next Thanksgiving.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank KVallaud
HostKansasCity, General Manager at InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza, responded to this review, December 8, 2010
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments about your experience here on Thanksgiving night.

We obviously regret you feel the hotel was unreasonable in asking the occupants of the guestroom you were in to lower the level of noise coming from the room. The hotel was receiving multiple complaints from several other guestrooms about the noise levels from the room you were in. This was more than two hours after the Country Club Plaza lighting ceremony and the hotel's fireworks show. The hotel clearly has a responsibilty to investigate when noise complaints are received and again, we were receiving multiple complaints. When when exited the elevators on your floor, the noise level from the room you were in was extremely loud. As we approached the room, the noise level was clearly excessive and disruptive. We explained to the guests about the noise complaints and asked that the noise level be lowered. With-in a few minutes, we again received mulitple compliants from several other guestrooms. We returned to the room you were in and the noise level was at least as loud as it was during our first visit to the room.

Again, we regret you do not agree with how we handled this situation, but I do hope you understand how loud it was and how many guests were disrupted and were complaining.

Don Breckenridge

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (437)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
Jersey City, NJ
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2010

We attended a wedding in the hotel in Mid-November and stayed at the Hotel. Nice spacious and stylish room with a balcony, marble bath, dressign area, spacious closet, warm comfortable bed, firm mattress, clean room, no complaints whatsoever.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
HostKansasCity, General Manager at InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza, responded to this review, December 1, 2010
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing the InterContinental Kansas City during your November trip to attend a wedding. We are glad you enjoyed your guestroom and found it to be comfortable and clean.

We will look forward to serving you on your next trip to the area.

Happy Holidays!

Framingham, MA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2010

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights over Thanksgiving. We chose this property for its proximity to my sister's home and for access to the plaza and the lighting ceremony. The hotel has been recently updated and it shows. It has a classic but not stuffy appeal. We were upgraded to a two room suite which was very much appreciated. The rooms were spacious and well equipped. The staff could not have been more accommodating. We made a few special requests and they complied gladly. On Thanksgiving Day it was very busy due to the lighting ceremony. The staff was well organized to handle the crowds. We would love to return to this property at a future date.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

In the hospitality business, the goal of the team is always to exceed every guest's expectation so we were very pleased to learn you enjoyed every aspect of your stay with us. There is never a bad time to be on the Country Club Plaza, but during the holidays it is truly magical, with the spirit of the season and the Plaza lights.

Thank you for staying with us and thank you for sharing your feedback. We will look forward to serving you again. Happy Holidays!

Little Rock, Arkansas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2010

It was a very clean and comfortable hotel. Staff was always friendly and helpful. The room was nice with a good view. The bed was comfortable. The bathroom was pretty small but had everything you needed and was nice. There was a parking garage for the hotel and I was a little alarmed that you were not required to have a room key to enter the hotel from the garage. There was a card reader on the door but I guess it was not operational because you could just open the door at any time. When in the area I would definitely stay here again.
It was a conference so I ate many meals at the hotel and the food was pretty good.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
HostKansasCity, General Manager at InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza, responded to this review, November 23, 2010
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting your review of your recent stay at the InterContinental Kansas City. We are obviously delighted to learn you enjoyed all aspects of your stay.

As for garage access into the hotel, please know that entry does require a guestroom key after 10:00pm daily. Access is not restricted until 10:00pm as many guests who come to the hotel to attend meetings or visit our food and beverage outlets are not overnight guests.

Again, thank you for the review and please know we appreciate and value your business. Please feel free to contact me directly whenever I may be of assistance during your future stays.

Iowa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2010

I booked this hotel though Hotwire for $105.00 a night. Best $105.00 I've spent on a hotel in awhile. Upon arriving we did get attacked by the Valet gentleman and told him we just wanted to check in. They wanted our keys anyway and said that they would give them back when we were done. Which they did. Check in was smooth, since I did reserve though Hotwire they wouldn't approve a choice of a room until check in. We checked in early to get a double bed room, which we did. I've never come across this before and it wasn't an issue for us but if you got caught smoking in your room there is a $300 charge. Parking in the garage was free and was nice to have access to the elevators right inside any floor of the garage.

Got a room in the "wing" which faced The Plaza, awesome view. We were on the top floor and right around the corner from the elevators. I didn't have any problem with noise from the hallway. I could only hear the neighbor next to us for only a brief moment when we got there and never heard them again. The room was spacious and comfortable. The sliding door to the balcony was a bit tough to open but it worked. I was surprised that they let people still use the balconies. We had a little table and two chairs to enjoy on it. The weather was unusually warm, in the 80's in October, so it was nice to enjoy it. Beds were nice a comfy, I got a great sleep both nights. The bathtub/shower is the largest I've ever been in for a hotel. Toiletries smelled awful, don't use them.

We did eat breakfast in the Oak Room on Saturday morning and ate the buffet. It was fine. Nothing outstanding, nothing bad. That night we ate dinner there too, also ate Sunday Brunch. Which was awesome. Highly recommend the brunch. We sat outside for every meal and enjoyed the view and pool view. Staff was very friendly and enjoyable. We did enjoy cocktails in the lounge and listened to a nice jazz singer/band who were very enjoyable to listen to, very talented, on Saturday night.

The only downfalls that I witnessed were, one, there is no door between the shower and toilet area to the sink area. The bathroom as a whole had a door on it but if you were getting ready and someone had to use the bathroom you had to leave so they could use it. It would be nice to have a sliding door there. There were a couple of cobwebs in our room on the crown molding that I noticed as I laid in bed across the room. I also found it quite odd that the "internet kiosk" were in little rooms, seemed like back in the day of the telephone that is what these were, were private telephone rooms they turned into private internet using areas though there is nothing private about them when there is a window and the computer screen faces it, and it's mounted high. Anyone walking by could see what you were doing. There were 3 doors, the middle door room held the printer while the other two were computers. I'm assuming that this was the "business center" since I couldn't find that.

These were minor issues in a great hotel. The location was wonderful. The staff was wonderful. Overall a very pleasant experience. I recommend it.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
InterContinentalKC, General Manager at InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza, responded to this review, October 28, 2010
Dear Bleachergal,

Thank you for posting your review relative to your recent stay with us.

We are very pleased to know you enjoyed your room and amenities while staying at the hotel. We do appreciate your business and will look forward to serving you again during your next trip to Kansas City. Please do not hesistate to contact me directly if I may be of assistance when you return.

Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2010

I was only in the hotel for about 11 hours, and about seven of those were sleeping, so this is not a comprehensive review. But a few quick thoughts:

I was on the third floor, in a room numbered between 350 and 370. It was perfectly quiet at night, but not so in the morning. You’re next to a street that gets a lot of traffic, which is ultimately how I woke up. Ask for a room that’s on a quiet side of the hotel.

The room service prices were so low I thought they were a mistake. I got a perfectly good portabello mushroom sandwich, and small fruit salad, for $7 (though this was jacked up to about $12 with the service charge and tip). The breakfast burrito is fantastic, but huge. I typically have a very big appetite in the morning – I ate the whole thing (though skipped the string potatoes on the side) and was stuffed until about 1 p.m.

The water pressure in the shower was definitely lacking. And the bathroom itself looked like it hadn’t been updated since the early ‘90s.

I logged in for wireless Internet access without much trouble – and the $11.95 charge didn’t show up on my bill (or at least wasn’t there when I checked out).

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank lancerodman
Dear Lancerodman,

We appreciate your comments related to your recent stay. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your room service experience. We appreciate that a quiet night sleep is important part of your stay and apologize that you were disrupted by street noise.

Please know we appreciate your business and hope to have the opportunity to serve you again in the near future.

New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2010

Many rooms in this hotel are very noisy, don't stay close to the elevator or the door, because early in the morning, people are moving up and down the steps, you can hear them all. If you need rest, don't stay in this hotel. The staff in this hotel has attitude problem, the hotel is always full, so they can only move you from one noisy room to another, I stayed here 3 nights, I have requested to change room everyday. And they kept putting me into another noisy room. Being a Priority member didn't mean anything. My conclusion is all rooms are noisy! So they can't find me another quite room. I had stayed in the Raefel accross the street once, it's much cheaper and service is much better, I will stay there next time. Also food is terrible here and the service is very slow.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
HostKansasCity, General Manager at InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza, responded to this review, September 30, 2010
Dear TravellerX1,

Please accept my apologies for not being able to move you to a quieter room because we were sold out. We understand that a quiet and peaceful room is an important part of the foundation for an enjoyable stay.

We would welcome the chance to re-earn your trust. Please contact me at dbreckenridge@kansascityic.com and we will be sure to reserve you a room away from the elevators.