“Plaza View”

InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza
Ranked #8 of 111 Hotels in Kansas City
Reviewed April 21, 2014

This is an older hotel on the edge of the Plaza known to many as the Alameda or the Ritz. I found the hotel to be very nice with good beds. Good music downstairs and great views from the concierge bar on the 11th floor, where we were taught the history of Kansas City by Craig Wotter. All in all a great team at this hotel.

Room Tip: ask for a room with a plaza view
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
HostKansasCity, General Manager at InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded April 23, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying with us and for posting your 5-star experience on Trip Advisor!

We're glad you enjoyed the comfortable bed, the incredible view of the Plaza and your time in the 11th floor Concierge's Lounge! There is great value in upgrading to the 10th or 11th floor so you make take advantage of the complimentary food and beverage offerings served in the Lounge. We'll be sure to let Craig know you mentioned him by name.

Please stay with us again the next time you are in Kansas City!

Don Breckenridge

Write a ReviewReviews (1,636)

Reviewed April 19, 2014

This was my first time staying at the intercontinental and it exceeded my expectations by far. All of the staff were so nice and really made my experience great by going above and beyond their duties. The view of the room was gorgeous and a wonderful place to see the plaza lights. Plus it was a close walking distance to everything on the plaza so we did not have to worry about driving. I am definitely going to be coming back to the Intercontinental and would recommend this hotel to anyone

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
HostKansasCity, General Manager at InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded April 21, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying with us for the first time. We're very glad it was an amazing stay!

Please stay with us again the next time you are in the Kansas City area!

Reviewed April 18, 2014

I have stayed at the Intercontinental many times and have not once had a complaint. The employees are always so nice and the rooms are always very clean. The hotel is a perfect location on the plaza, you can walk anywhere on The Plaza from the hotel within 10 minutes. I would recommend this hotel if you are looking to stay in a nice hotel with a great location and good service.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your latest experience at the InterContinental Kansas City on Trip Advisor!

We're very happy to learn you enjoyed the service provided by our team, the cleanliness of your room and the hotel's premier location overlooking the Country Club Plaza!

Please know we appreciate your loyalty to the hotel. We look forward to serving you again the next time you are our guest!

Reviewed April 15, 2014

We visit Kansas City on a regular basis and the Intercontinental has been our "go to" hotel for the last 3 years. The location is ideal for us and the rooms are always comfortable, well appointed and relaxing. The staff has always gone above and beyond to make our stay as comfortable as possible and Kent in the hospitality suite on the Concierge floor is one of the hotel's secret weapons. He is great. The entire experience is what staying in a hotel should be like and no other hotel in KC does it as well as the Intercontinental.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
HostKansasCity, General Manager at InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor!

It is an honor to be your "go to" hotel in Kansas City! We are very proud of the service levels provided by our associates, and we're glad you've always felt their desire to go above and beyond to serve you. Kent plays a very important role in delivering the hotel's concierge experience and we will be sure to share your comments with him.

Please know how much we appreciate your loyalty. Whenever I may be of service during any of your stays, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at dbreckenridge@kansascityic.com.

Reviewed April 12, 2014

I have stayed in hotels all over the world, and there is not a more friendly group of competant, classy, efficient employees the world over nor a more beautiful setting than the Intercontinental on the Country Club Plaza. The hotel is a beautiful, older, classic type hotel and the pool area is the best in Kansas City, with live band in the summer, children's pool and bar service.

My favorite part is staying in a Concierge level room where you have access to the VIP lounge on the 11th floor, with complimentary light snacks and drinks. The concierge staff on weekend mornings are Kent and Reuben. They are always are friendly, full of advice and attentiveness. However, Craig in the evenings keeps everyone happy, dinner reservations made, and seems to know all of his guests. Melanie the day time concierge and supervisor from South Africa is soooo efficient and all I need to do is give her a call and she handles anything I need when I decide to come down, book a party, etc. She gets the right person in touch with me, makes sure I have my rooms and then follows up to make sure it is all going smoothly. They all are super and the view over the Plaza is the best.!

However, the entire hotel is like a model hotel with each department operating like it is the example used for training excellent associates in the hospitality industry. From housekeeping, to the front desk, to John, Joe, & Phil my fav bellmen. They each are doing their job and welcome you usually by name when you return.

Two weeks ago, I held a small birthday dinner party for my sister with 80 pp and 11 rooms. Denise, the Catering Director, orchestrated it flawlessly but what impressed me was how perfect her plan was implemented by the entire staff from each department. Whether it was the cleanliness of the room, the friendlessly and efficency of the serving staff , the bartender to the front desk and valet, I know not which person was best but the entire team made my event perfect. I did not hear a complaint from anyone in our group...It made my job as planner so easy and I was able truly enjoy my stay here.

I would be remiss to not mention the door & valet staff as they are the front line in greeting everyone and making me feel like an old timer and member of the family every time I visit. My husband and I used to come down from Topeka at least once a month and even though he passed away last summer, the door man, Brandon, Ed, Dave and others are super. It was sad to drive up the first few times without my husband but they have welcomed and helped me in,, with such kindness and concern that I felt like I was their Aunt.

I know this sounds like I was paid to do a review but trust me it is real and I am a regular guest of this hotel. (Please read my numerous other reviews from around the world and you wll see they are not always like this.)

All of this at the KC Intercont'l is a sign of a splendidly operated organization and a credit to the IC name.

Lou

Room Tip: Concierge level and I won't tell you my favorite room as then it won't be available, but an...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank DorothyOz
HostKansasCity, General Manager at InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded April 14, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your thoughtful remarks regarding your many stays at the InterContinental Kansas City! It is very kind of you to mention by name the members of our team who have positively impacted your experiences.

We all love having you here and consider you part of the InterContinental family! It is always a pleasure to see you and catch up. I know you have many contacts at the hotel, but whenever I may be of service, please do not hesitate to contact me directly!

Once again, thank you for you kind comments and for your loyalty to the hotel!

Reviewed April 12, 2014

This is the 3rd time I have stayed at this hotel this time of year for an annual conference. Each time, Kent in the Concierge Suite has been very accommodating and helpful and provides excellent service. He makes sure your coffee is warm and full and you have everything you need to make your time in the suite enjoyable and comfortable. This is a beautiful hotel with very nice accommodations and views of the Country Club Plaza.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for staying with us for the 3rd time and for sharing your feedback on Trip Advisor!

Kent does do an amazing job, and we're very happy you were able to see firsthand how accommodating and helpful he his. We'll be sure to share your comments with him.

We all look forward your 4th stay!

Reviewed April 10, 2014

The service at this hotel is AMAZING. Special shout out to Ben P the bartender. Thank you for going above and beyond to make otherwise bland work travel really fun! Everyone I came across was genuinely kind. Such a nice visit and the balcony rooms are superb.

• Stayed: April 2014

Dear Guest,

We're glad you found our staff to be genuinely kind and their service amazing! We'll be sure to share your comments with Ben and extend our thanks to him for going above and beyond the call of duty to serve you.

We're also happy you enjoyed your private balcony. So you know, about 95% of our guestrooms have balconies, and they are a great place to watch the activities on the Plaza from a bird's eye view. Our "deluxe" rooms have an over-sized balcony with a small table and two chairs. They are very popular in the spring!

Thank you for sharing your comments on Trip Advisor. We all look forward to the next opportunity to serve you!.