“Unfriendly and tired”

InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza
Ranked #8 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
Reviewed January 5, 2014

We are currently in the hotel and are disappointed. The location is wonderful but that is really all we can compliment. It is our 30th anniversary and so far the only person who has even greeted us (let alone acknowledge our special day - even though the reservations agent asked and we were told there would be a gift) is the valet. The front desk clerk was cold and robotic. None of the other lobby staff smiled or spoke. I've stayed in high-end hotels all over the world and this property definitely falls short of what I would expect. Wish we had stayed at the Raphael instead.

• Stayed: January 2014
HostKansasCity, General Manager at InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2014

Dear Guest,

First of all - Happy Anniversary and I hope your stay with us improved.

I do apologize for the fact none of us have recognized your 30 year celebration. It appears as though the reservations agent, who works at one of IHG's Central Reservations Office, did not make a note of this on your reservation. Please be assured had we known of your special anniversary, we would have enthusiastically recognized it. We do so many times each week.

I would be very interested to learn more details about your interaction with our front desk clerk so that appropriate action may be taken. If you are willing, please contact me at dbreckenridge@kansascityic.com.

There are newer reviews for InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza

Reviewed January 1, 2014

Recently stayed one night for my first visit to the Plaza. My boyfriend requested a room overlooking the plaza view and it was really great...and you can walk out to the little balcony, which in my limited experience of staying in city hotels in the US has never been the case! The bed was very comfortable and room spacious and quiet. I am giving it 4 stars instead of 5 as I did not stay long enough to explore all amenities but what I saw there was very promising. Next time I come back to this area I am definitely staying here again!

Room Tip: Definitely request a room with the Plaza view, especially after Thanksgiving.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
HostKansasCity, General Manager at InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2014

Dear Guest,

We're glad you enjoyed your experience at the hotel and we all look forward to serving you again during your next stay with us. We hope it's sooner rather than later!

Reviewed December 30, 2013

We enjoyed a wonderful stay at the Intercontinental which included attending a wedding reception in the hotel ballroom. The staff was attentive and accommodating and our room was comfortable, clean and cozy. Our view of the Plaza lights was amazing and we were surprised at how quiet our room was, never heard a thing in the hallway and know there was plenty going on! The beds were a dream, the bedding so luxurious, slept like a rock. The food and service at the wedding reception were first class and we had a great time celebrating with our family and friends. Would definitely stay again!

Room Tip: Stayed in room 436...great view and very quiet.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family

Dear Guest,

Thanks for sharing your feedback on Trip Advisor and for the note you left me!

We're obviously very glad you and your family & friends were pleased with the hotel and service provided by our team during this very special weekend.

Again, thanks for sharing your experience!

Reviewed December 29, 2013

We just returned from our 5th or 6th trip to KC for Christmas. We have always stayed at the Intercontinental, concierge level, plaza view. Watching this hotel decline is a little bit like watching a loved one lose their health--it breaks your heart to see it happen. Everything about the hotel is tired and worn. The furniture in the bar and restaurant is broken down. The rooms are looking shabby and even the linens and towels are a bit tattered. The entire hotel needs a good cleaning. I agree with a previous reviewer that the concierge lounge has become out of control. Either there needs to be a minimum age for admittance or there should be a separate lounge for families. It's no fun to trip over unsupervised toddlers, and their toys, when one is trying to fix a morning cup of coffee or evening glass of wine (and seriously folks, the wine in the lounge is beyond awful). Service in the restaurant was really bad at lunch on the day of our arrival and average at breakfast. The shower in our room did not work when we arrived - they did send a repairman same day and it was better after that but not great. All of that being said, the location of this hotel is fabulous for shopping and dining on the Plaza. The view from the lounge and Plaza side is spectacular. We found the concierge level staff to be quite helpful and charming as always. We will probably look into alternatives for our next stay in KC but it really is heartbreaking to see the decline of what was once a spectacular hotel .

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Eurotraveler09

Dear Guest,

I would enjoy the opportunity to discuss your stay directly with you so we can make amends and obtain more details. If you would like to do so, please contact me at dbreckenridge@kansascityic.com. Thank you!

Reviewed December 28, 2013

We stayed on the concierge floor for two nights around Christmas time. The overall experience with the hotel was good, and we enjoyed our Plaza view room. But we had a very disappointing experience with the concierge lounge, for a number of reasons. First, the lounge was poorly decorated: there were too many lights on, and there was no Christmas decoration at all. Just a few votive candles and a couple of wreaths would go a long way. And from our conversations with other guests, we were not the only ones feeling this way. Second, the lounge was severely understaffed. It was quite busy during both cocktail hours and breakfast, and there seemed to be only one person running the whole lounge. They were doing a very admirable job, but they were clearly frazzled, and dishes and glasses occasionally did pile up. Third, as two adults traveling, I would've very much appreciated a much quieter experience. It would really help if there were two lounges, one for adults only, one for family with young children. This is especially a serious problem given that there was alcohol served in the lounge, and with only one person working, the alcohol situation was basically unattended to. I don't think this is acceptable.

2  Thank HYFKQ

Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying with us and for sharing your feedback.

We are happy to learn you enjoyed the overall experience, but disappointed to hear about your visit to the Club Lounge. Please know we will use your input to improve our service and the ambiance in this area.

We hope to have the opportunity to serve you again in the near future.

Reviewed December 26, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Intercontinental when we were visiting KC for the Country Club Plaza holiday lights. Our stay ended up being awesome although working through the reservation center and receiving consistent information from the agents was challenging. I wanted to speak to someone at the hotel, rather than the 1-800 reservations center, and this was difficult to accomplish (was disconnected, put on hold for long periods, etc). However, after persevering, I was finally able to get the answers to questions that were important to me in booking a room. Our primary purpose was to reserve a room with great Plaza views. The reservation agents weren't well versed in the difference between the rooms in the tower and those in the west wing. When we arrived and checked in, Josh, the desk clerk, assigned us a room on the 4th floor, even though we had reserved an upgraded king room. When I told him that it was important to us to have a room facing the Plaza on a high floor, he assigned us room 909. This room had great views and the room, although smaller than the rooms in the west wing, was very clean and very nicely appointed. We had reserved a rate that included breakfast buffet for an additional $10pp. When we arrived at the restaurant the next morning, we were told we could order whatever we wanted off the menu. This was a great value and wonderful surprise. The eggs benedict were outstanding and probably the best we've every experienced. I have known this property since it's original days as the Alameda Plaza and later the Ritz Carlton. I think, over time, the quality and luster of the hotel have diminished but I knew this before I booked our room so I wasn't disappointed. We will stay there again if our purpose is great views of the Country Club Plaza lights.

Room Tip: Request a room in the tower if you want the best plaza views.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback!. We're glad you enjoyed your stay with us and plan to visit us again. We'll look forward to serving you at that time.

Reviewed December 25, 2013

Just came home from our annual Christmas trip to KC and we've always stayed at the Intercontinental on the Plaza, Plaza view room on the concierge level is a must. Have enjoyed the suites there but none available this trip. So that was disappointing but ok....checked in and were given 1135. Looking out the balcony windows we had a view of the Raphael hotel due east across the street, Brush Creek east of Wornall Rd and a little bit of the famed Plaza lights. Now if this was a beach property...this would be termed a PARTIAL view at best. If we went out on the balcony, shying away from the bit rickety metal railing and looked around to the north THEN we could see more of the beautiful lights...but this room does NOT afford a Plaza view nor is it worth the extra expense for such view. So that was disappointment #2. The king rooms are nicely appointed, although the bathrooms are small and certainly not room for the two of us to be at the vanity at the same time. Fine coating of dust was on the bathroom light fixtures as well as on most surfaces of the room. And noted dust/dirt accumulated in the corners of the door moldings and on the framed art after I started looking closer.....disappointment #3. Received an accounting of our charges during the night as usual, and for the first time ever, they charged for self parking $15 per night, and charged for our service dog $25 per day....which under the ADA law is illegal. Before departing, I went to the front desk with the billing to ask them about the charges for my service dog. Larry and Nevada were manning the desk....neither said Good Morning, Merry Christmas, nothing but "Checking out? Am guessing Larry was a new employee as he was having some computer problems and questions of Nevada. I was told the hotel charges for all dogs whether they are a service dog or not. When I advised they could take off those charges or I would report them to the ADA, Nevada came over and showed Larry what to do on the computer. He printed out a new final statement for me and said "Here" I further inquired about a future reservation I had made for my daughter, the previous day....neither he nor Nevada could find it. They were emphatic there was no reservation on file and when I showed them on my statement where it had already been charged to me, Nevada said I'd have to talk to a manager and could wait till one came in about noon....it was then about 10:30 am. Round and round we went and they finally found it....Upon departing neither said thank you, appreciate you staying with us, safe travels, come back, nothing.....all in all a very disappointing experience this time at this hotel. Management needs to take note and do some serious quality control work immediately!

Room Tip: still think the concierge level is the best value with breakfast (light but good enough), tea time...
2  Thank Flipper1954

Dear Guest,

It is the policy of the hotel to never charge for service animals. I regret that you were. Please accept my apologies for this and for the other challenges you experienced with us. I would greatly appreciate the opportunity to get more details about your stay so amends may be made to you and corrective steps taken on our end to prevent future occurrences. If you are willing to share more information, please feel comfortable in contacting me at dbreckenridge@kansascityic.com. Thanks!