“Nice hotel, needs some TLC” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza

InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza
Ranked #7 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
Orlando, Florida
“Nice hotel, needs some TLC”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2012

We had a room on the 11th floor (concierge level) and since we normally stay at HI Express or LaQuinta, of course the size of the room blew us away! One whole wall was floor-to-ceiling windows with a great view of the Plaza. It surprised me that this bathroom in this huge room (with 2 closets) was so tiny! Mouldings were chipped/a little moldy and had been painted over many times. Decor was a little dated, and lighting could have been brighter.

We went to the "happy hour" in the concierge lounge, great view, light snacks and make your own drinks. Good to meet friends before dinner. We were in a party in the rooftop lounge, and the food was top notch! Would have been a nice touch to have a couple waitresses taking drink orders in the room, but it was ok.

The price for this room was about what an all-inclusive resort costs, and nothing was included (except the happy hour and a small cold item only continental breakfast). So, based on value, I would not choose to stay here. Based on proximity to the plaza and the view, it is nice.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
HostKansasCity, General Manager at InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
Dear Guest,

We're pleased you enjoyed your large guestroom and expansive view of the Plaza.

Our bathroom size is very similar to all other hotels I have worked at and visited, but I'm sorry it was smaller than you expected.

We're also disappointed you didn't find value in our 11th floor Concierge's Lounge. We consistently hear from guests that they really enjoy the complimentary cocktails & Hors D'oeuvres in the evening, and the complimentary continental breakfast in the morning. The breakfast features fresh baked goods, fresh fruits, fresh juices, lox and bagels, granola, yogurts and a wide variety of other beverages.

Please know we appreciate your feedback and value your business. We hope to have the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Don Breckenridge

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (436)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
Overland Park, KS
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2012

I live in Kansas City and stayed at the Intercontinental for a wedding, where the reception was in the rooftop ballroom. I needed to get ready for the wedding, checked in at 4:30 (supposed to be checked in any time after 3 pm) and they didn't have a room ready! Told me they'd call me when one was available. I got a call at 5:45 saying my keys were at the front desk...a little late for the 6pm wedding I was attending. My boyfriend had his credit card on file for the room, yet they needed mine to actually swipe to check in. In hesitation, I gave them mine (afraid we would get charged twice). After checking out the next morning, we went to the front desk to assure only one card would be charged. His card was on file to be charged, and they charged his $196. I then checked my account to double check, and I have a charge from them for $296! Also, after driving back from the wedding to the hotel, there was no parking in the parking garage...I parked my own car, and carried my own bags from the driveway into the hotel...where the valet proceeded to tell me that where I parked was for valet only - even though all FOUR levels of the garage were full, and proceeded to charge me $7 for valet when they didn't even park my car or carry my luggage. Terrible experience for the price we paid.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Please allow me to apologize for your unpleasant experience. Obviously, we failed to provide you with the level of service you have a right to expect.

I would appreciate it if you would contact me at dbreckenridge@kansascityic.com so I may get more details from you and make amends.

Minneapolis
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2012

I had stayed at this hotel multiple times on business, and decided to stay there again with my wife on a driving trip to Texas. Location was great, the band and vocalist in the bar were talented and friendly, and the staff was professional and engaging.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
HostKansasCity, General Manager at InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza, responded to this review, December 6, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thanks for stopping over on your drive to Texas! We appreciate you staying with us again!

We're glad you were able to enjoy the live music in the Oak Bar. Thanks also for your comments about our staff being professional and engaging. We'll be sure to share your feedback with them.

We all look forward to serving you again soon!

Kansas City, Missouri
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2012

We are local and decided to do a staycation. I have been in the Intercontinental several times and loved the entrance, the valet, everything that I had seen at "first glance". Also loved the location and knew that this would be a great room to view the Plaza lights.

We knew that we wanted a Plaza view. We did receive a balcony Plaza view on the west wing. The room was nice but a little dated, especially in the bathroom. It really could use some updating. There is a lot of room and a nice sitting area. The view was great. The bathroom didn't have a fan and was small and not as clean as it should have been...especially at Intercontinental. We chose to park ourselves in the garage as parking was free, which was nice. There were 2 weddings going on so parking was pretty scarce. It was nice to park on the level that our room was on, however. After about an hour in our room we kept hearing this very loud banging over and over again so we called down to the front desk and they said they didn't know what it would be and that they would send a bell boy up. We never heard from front desk so proceeded to go to dinner. When we returned from our evening we continued to hear this all night long and the next morning. We figured out what the noise was....the drain in the parking garage was warped and every time a car drove over it then it would bang. Pretty annoying when you're trying to enjoy your evening...and your sleep. I hope that they correct this as we could not have possibly been the only room to deal with this.

The next morning we had a bill under our door with an error so we called down to ask about and when we did the gentleman, Mike, at the desk was very courteous and corrected it right away. We also told him about the noise issue and he immediately offered us brunch for that morning, which we appreciated. We wish that Mike would have been the one that we had talked with the night before so that we possibly could have been moved to another room. Quite honestly, we didn't even know about the brunch, so that was a fault of the girl checking us in. I would think that the hotel would want to let guests know about this.

I feel that the hotel should offer internet for free. Especially as an IHG rewards member, it would be a small token of appreciation.

This property has so much potential. It's disappointing that it didn't live up to it's brand.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
HostKansasCity, General Manager at InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
Dear Princess,

We regret that you our guest restroom wasn't up to your standards.

Please accept my apologies for noise disturbance you experienced and the issue with your bill. We will be sure to address the problem with the garage grates. We're glad you were pleased with the way Mike handled your concern about the billing.

We do appreciate you letting us know about your experience and hope to have the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Denver, CO
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2012 via mobile

This hotel has been around since the early 70's and some areas are beginning to show a little age. I would say for the most part the current operators have done a good job of updating and keeping it relevant. We had a great view from our room even though te bathroom ad especially the closet are on the small side. A nice pro is the ability ro self park your car without a fee. One of my cons is the Internet carge. I have stts at Arriott, Hyatt, Strwood and also Holiday Inn (IHG Hotel Group owns the Intercontintal). None of the other chains charge for this access.All in all I'd recommend this property. The front desk staff are all friendly and efficient. The staff in the Concierge lounge was gret and Craig (I think that was his name) even took a gret picture of us with the Plaza lights in th background. I can't imagine 31 hotels in KC that are better based on Tripadvior.

Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
HostKansasCity, General Manager at InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing the InterContinental Kansas City and for posting your comments on Trip Advisor.

We certainly appreciate your recommendation of our hotel to other travelers! Please know your comments about the the friendliness of our front desk and concierge's staff will be shared with the entire team.

Once again, thank you for staying with us! We'll look forward to being of further service in the near future.

Des Moines, Iowa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2012

The Intercontinental Kansa City at the Plaza is literally a block and a half from the Plaza, and at night, has a spectacular view of the Plaza. The staff are helpful and friendly. Like it has been noted in other reviews, I was surprised about the internet and the difficulty I had with the internet in this facility. I had to call for help 3 times in 48 hours. I will not discuss the cost as several other high end hotels have also charged. I think this is one of the perks that should be offered. The buffets I had while dining here were very good and this is surprising for a hotel buffet. Overall, a nice place to stay.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
HostKansasCity, General Manager at InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing the InterContinental Kansas City during your recent trip! We appreciate and value your business.

We're glad you found our staff to be helpful and friendy, and that you enjoyed the hotel's location and the buffet meals in the Oak Room.

Please do accept my apologies for the access issues you experienced with our internet service. To require assistance three times in a 48 hour period is unacceptable. We will have our IT Manager look into this issue.

Again, thank you for staying with us and we look forward to being of further service to you the next time you are in Kansas City.

New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2012

KC Intercontinental is a perfectly adequate hotel that long ago replaced the Ritz as the manager of this location. The Plaza is a great place to be as KC goes - so this is a good tourist hotel location and an OK business locale. But as other reviewers have mentioned - the Intercontinental's occupation (aka invasion) of a previous Ritz property leaves the hotel guest wanting. Things feel faded. Bathrooms are of the 1980's Ritz-Carlton ilk. Nice but outdated. 1st floor services were nice - restaurant, front desk, doormen. But as I checked out, I found myself interrupting a phone conversation the front desk personnel was having with a friend on the phone. Its little stuff that makes an ok hotel become a great hotel. I think the staff desires to please the customer - they are very nice. I just think this hotel is in need of some capital investment - and I don't know if the business model is sustainable in Kansas City or not. Time will tell. Final comment - every hotel that does not make its WIFI free should be ashamed. Its like charging us to flush a toilet.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank golflefty
HostKansasCity, General Manager at InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on Trip Advisor.

In the last five years, the hotel has invested millions of dollars in upgrades and renovations, including guestrooms, guestroom corridors, the lobby, the Oak Bar, the Oak Room, the Concierge's lounge, and meeting space. This is one of the many reasons the hotel has received AAA's 4-diamond award for 21 consecutive years, and has been selected by the readers of Ingram's Business Magazine as the "Best Hotel in Kansas City" for the last eight years.

We're glad you found our staff to be very nice and that you sensed their desire to serve. Your feedback will be shared with the entire team.

We hope to have the opportunity to serve you again the next time you are in Kansas City.