“Great Location- Great Hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza

InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza
Ranked #6 of 112 Hotels in Kansas City
Rock Falls, Illinois
“Great Location- Great Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

Hotel is located right across from the Plaza. Tons of shops and dining options.

The bar in the hotel has a decent selection of food for a reasonable price and the wait staff is very friendly.

The lobby offers free coffee and tea in the morning and lemonade in the afternoon/evening. Nice touch!

We booked a standard Kind and were upgraded. The room had 2 balconies, 2 bathrooms, a sitting area and was clean and comfortable. The room faced the main road but i thought the noise level was low and not bothersome.

I would reccomend this hotel to anyone wanting to stay near the Plaza or traveling on business!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars
HostKansasCity, General Manager at InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza, responded to this review, November 2, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your 5-star experience on Trip Advisor!

We appreciate your kind words and will look forward to serving you again.

Very happy to learn you received a free upgrade.

We're also pleased you enjoyed the complimentary drinks in the lobby. The lemonade has been a big hit during the summer and fall, but my guess is that Hot Chocolate will soon be the featured item!

Don Breckenridge

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (386)
  • Finnish first
ca
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012 via mobile

My wife and spent three nights in this hotel recently. We were on the lounge level. The service and the amenities of this Intercontinental were far superior to the lounges in two other hotels of this brand we stayed in recently; Madrid and London. Starting with breakfast, then to a light lunch, then cocktails and snacks before we went out to dinner and lastly after dinner cordials and sweets. Both concierge; one in the morning and one in the evening, were outstanding. We were there over a weekend; Craig and Neil were their names as I recall.

The hotel is ideally located in a fine shopping area and shops are within walking distance. We come to Kansas City quite often and normally stay at a hotel across the street from the Intercontinental but could not get in there this time. So the good news is that we found a great alternative for the future.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
HostKansasCity, General Manager at InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the 5-star review!

We are so appreciative that you gave us a try and also, thrilled to learn you enjoyed all aspects of your stay! We are excited to now be your hotel of choice and will look foreward to serving you again in the near future.

Whenever I may be of personal service to you during a stay with us, please feel comfortable in contacting me at dbreckenridge@kansascityic.com.

Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

I was recently at this hotel for a convention and stayed for 4 days, 3 nights.
PROS: - Great location and very comfortable bed, pretty hotel.
CONS: My room was on the second floor right above the lounge. Needless to say I didnt get to sleep very early any of the nights. The music and people outside of the lounge kept me up well past 12:00 every night and the hotel wouldnt move my room. Not only was I exposed to some filthy businessmen talk until 12:00am, but the cigar smoke wefted into my room as well. Another con: I found a corn remover in my sheets! GROSS thing is, I dont have corns and it wasnt mine!

Room Tip: Ask to be put as far away from the lounge as possible. Rooms overlooking the plaza are the best.
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
Dear Guest,

Please accept my apologies for the fact you were kept awake by the music in the Oak Bar and by the guests were were sitting outside on the terrace. We stop the music on Wednesday's and Thursday's at 11:00pm.

Although I do not know the dates of your stay, I am confident we were sold out as if we were not, our staff would have been more than happy to move you to a quieter room.

I would appreciate the opportunity to learn more about the corn remover you found in your bed. It would be very helpful to know your room number and dates of stay so that we may follow up with our housekeeping staff to learn what happened. Please feel free to contact me at dbreckenridge@kansascityic.com.

Once again, please do accept my apologies and I hope to hear from you so I can get more details and make amends to you.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012 via mobile

This hotel has all the opulence you would expect of a hotel of this rating. You are greeted with a valet who rushes to your car in his top hat, ready to do whatever he can to start your stay with a welcoming smile. In a red marble lobby with a lovely crystal chandelier and you find a wonderful lounge with high ceilings and a fireplace you can curl up next to while listening to music.

When we got to our room we were welcomed by the same luxury. That night we were able to walk to the plaza.

The hotel, however, could quickly turn and lose it's grandeur. In the bathroom the white marble has been badly stained. In the shower the lighting fixture looks like it was installed by a new home owner trying their hand and DIY. These little attention to details makes one wonder what else could be slipping through the cracks.

These could be something that the hotel is aware about and planning on fixing, it could be that things are slipping here. Minor fixes could keep this hotel great, but it could also be signs of a hotel in decline.

• Stayed October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars
HostKansasCity, General Manager at InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thanks for all your feedback and positive comments.

We are very glad to learn you were so impressed with most aspects of your stay.

We are aware that we have 10 guest rooms (out of our 366) that have stained vanity tops. We are in the process of changing these out and will be finished in the next few weeks.

We look forward to serving you again the next time your travels bring you to Kansas City!

Springdale, Arkansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

We have been staying here for 24 years, starting when it was the Alameda Plaza. There have been ownership, and management changes, but it is still, the best location in Kansas City. The rooms and public places have been refreshed as needed, and the staff are very experienced and professional. Our experience in the concierge level lounge was as good as anywhere we've been, the staff there will go to any length to make your experience a good one. We have tried other properties on the plaza, and although good, none measure up to the Intercontinental.

Room Tip: Get a concierge level plaza view, or a deluxe room on the west wing facing the plaza.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
HostKansasCity, General Manager at InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the 5-star review and thank you very much for your loyalty to the hotel for the last 24 years!

We're very happy you like the renovations that have been done in the guestrooms, the corridors and public spaces in general.

We're also very pleased you enjoyed the services provided by our Concierges. They truly are a very professional group who really enjoy pampering our guests.

We all look forward to serving you again during your next trip to Kansas City. If I may ever be of service during any of your stays, please do not hesistate to contact me at dbreckenridge@kansascityic.com.

Jacksonville, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

Stayed here for several nights for a conference. The hotel is a little outdated, but the rooms are large. Many conference attendees complained about the slowness of the elevators, and we took the stairs sometimes because of this. The hotel restaurant is very expensive (about $20 for a full breakfast.) I had coffee, toast and an egg one morning for $11, and when I gave the waitress a $20, she said they didn't have any change. I ended up charging it to my room instead, and it seemed like this really big deal that someone tried to pay in cash.Other little annoyances during my stay included a front desk that was slow at times, the phone in my room not working (neither one!), and my key being deactivated during my stay. The conference rooms were smallish, but I was able to access wifi. The location on the plaza is nice--lots of shops and restaurants nearby and beautiful views. My favorite thing about this hotel was the fitness center. It has three or four treadmills, two stair climbers, and a couple of elliptical machines, plus many weight machines. The fitness center also has free water and fruit, and the treadmills have TVs on them. Going there was the most enjoyable part of my stay--although I would also rate it excellent on sleep quality. Another plus is that taxis are always waiting right outside the hotel so you don't have to wait around or get one called for you.

1 Thank EconMom
HostKansasCity, General Manager at InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza, responded to this review, October 17, 2012
Dear Guest,

We never strive to be "just okay", so please accept my apologies for the concerns you had with several aspects of your stay. It is always our goal to exceed each guest's expectations.

Your feedback will be shared with the appropriate departments so that corrective measures may be taken.

Please know we do appreciate your comments, both the positive ones and the ones pointing out the need for improvements.

Waterbury Center, Vermont
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

We stayed at the Intercontinental Hotel for a week in October. The front desk upgraded us to the 11th floor, which featured a lounge for breakfast and snacks most of the day and well into the evening. The room was fine. The staff was helpful and pleasant. We would definitely stay there again next time we have business in Kansas City.

Room Tip: Most rooms face the Plaza, which is nice, but we took a room facing west and found that it was just...
Dear Guest,

Thanks for staying at the InterContinental Kansas City. We truly appreciate and value your business!

We're pleased you enjoyed your upgrade to the 11th floor, and that you were able to take advantage of the food and beverage offerings in the Concierge's Lounge.

We'll look forward to serving you again the next time your travels bring you to our great city.