“This hotel does a great job.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza

InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza
Ranked #7 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
Baltimore, Maryland
“This hotel does a great job.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2012

There are a few things that I seek out for every review. This hotel met most of my needs, and surprisingly had a value add for me. See, when I travel, I can never get a cup of coffee like I have at home every morning - just some coffee with vanilla creamer. I don't want a Vanilla Latte that tastes like crap from some coffee shop. I want to put in my own creamer and drink 2 cups. I was totally jazzed that they set up a coffee bar every morning. With flavored creamers for me to dump in there until my heart's content. I was especially jazzed when I got up early to go to the airport and could grab a great cup of coffee to drink along the way. It's the little details that make travelers happy!!! Good Job I. Other than that, here's my standard things if you're traveling with a family - It's very clean, housekeeping - where were they? The room was always cleaned, but I never saw them hanging around the hallways, or calling the room to ask if they could clean it. They just seemed to be totally non intrusive and did a great job. Bed, super confortable. Our room had a pull our sofa, which my daughter and I took turns sleeping on. The room size was awesome. For families, here's the biggie, but I didn't count it against them - no Disney channel unless you want to pay. This hurts when you travel with kids. We got one movie that was 17.00 and watched it 3 times. I thought the price was high. I hate hotels that make you pay for episodes of kids shows - especially public tv. But, I don't count it against them becuase I don't know enought about what the cable company allows or charges them for. Rooms and hallways are quiet. The doors don't SLAM when people shut them, which helps with sleeping. We were on the first floor - street noise was alot to adjust to so if it's a problem for you, request higher up. The most important thing for me - this hotel had to be filled to capacity. They had so much going on. However, they did not miss a beat on service. We walked down to the hotel restaurant (which you should avoid) for dinner and on the way back, the concierge asked how our dinner was. I was impressed that he even noticed we were going there. Overall, this is a great place to stay, close to the plaza - which is where you should eat your meals.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
HostKansasCity, General Manager at InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza, responded to this review, September 24, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your 5-star review!

We appreciate your decision to stay with us and are very happy you enjoyed all aspects of your stay. The complimentary coffee in the lobby every morning is a big hit with our guests, as is the complimentary citrus water and lemondade each afternoon.

Again, thanks for sharing your experience with others and thank you for staying with us. We all look forward to the opportunity to serve you again the next time you are in Kansas City!

Don Breckenridge

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (437)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2012

While an older hotel, the location of this Kansas City, MO hotel is excellent. We held a conference here, so I had a chance to really see the quality of service. The hotel staff is friendly and warm, and whether I needed concierge, housekeeping or room service, everything was handled professionally and with great concern to the quality of service. What's more, I became an Ambassador club member a few years back and wowsa, how this has made my stays at Intercontinental Hotels even better. Free wifi, executive floor, executive lounge with lovely fresh breakfast and terrific views, manager's welcome gift of fresh fruit, plates of cookies, chocolates and bottles of chilled water, and what I absolutely adore most - late check-out at 4pm. I am getting SO spoiled with this kind of treatment!

The room I stayed in was on the 10th floor with a view overlooking the pool and Plaza area. Lo and behold, there's a balcony that you can actually step out on, although it is small and oddly shaped so I highly recommend anyone traveling with children will want to be extra careful and be sure the balcony sliding doors are locked and/or blocked. I had a king bed, very well appointed with comfortable pillows and fresh, crisp sheets and comforter. There was an in-room coffee/tea service as well as mini-bar, daily newspaper if you want it (request no delivery if you don't, otherwise you'll get 'em) and a nice-sized bathroom with good shower power.

The age of the hotel shows, especially a bit in the conference areas, but in no way was it unpleasant and the conference services, up to and including coffee and banquet services was good and fresh, service was generally very responsive and timely, and the conference rooms, while oddly spread out between several floors, were themselves easy to work in with plenty of technical assistance available. At times we did find the wifi lagging, particularly as there were a lot of us on the network due to this being an organization of .gov webmasters. So of course we had all our devices and what-not going, but at one point it became unusable, and that needs to be avoided.

I really enjoyed my stay here, and from what I saw, effort is being made to upgrade the pool area and freshen the hotel up a bit for more contemporary tastes. This leaves me very positive that there's a good future for the hotel, which I found to be an excellent spot in downtown KC, MO - easy access to great restaurants. Be sure to try Jack Stack for BBQ. And the hotel's own food for those nights you just need to stay in was quite good indeed.

Room Tip: There are rooms in the tower area and then another connected building, which is only a few floors. I...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
HostKansasCity, General Manager at InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza, responded to this review, September 17, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the 5-star review!

Your comments will be shared with our entire team. We're very pleased you were so happy during your stay with us and that you felt spoiled with the perks you received due to your Ambassador status!

We'll look forward to spoiling you again during your next trip to Kansas City! Please know how much we appreciate your loyalty!

Edinburgh, sometimes
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2012

I was here for two days to speak at a conference and someone else was paying - so take that into account when reading my views. The hotel was charming in many ways and certainly provided good support for the conference that took place there - better than many other hotels in my experience. The bar has a really interesting range of beers and good food from nibbles through snacks through full meals, at reasonable prices. There's also a restaurant which seemed to me to be of less value. Breakfast was disappointing - slow service, everything a la carte and overpriced. I expect two out of those three in many hotels but not all three at once.

Room Tip: I was overlooking the creek, which provided interesting views if you expect to be in your room for a...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
HostKansasCity, General Manager at InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza, responded to this review, September 15, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thanks for letting us know that our staff provided you the needed support during your conference. We're happy to learn you liked our services and enjoyed your experience in the Oak Bar, but were disappointed to hear we were slow in serving you during breakfast in the restaurant. Please accept my apologies.

We hope you will return to the InterContinental Kansas City the next time you are in Kansas City.

Louisiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2012 via mobile

Stayed Labor Day weekend just to relax. First and best highlight is Melanie in the executive level lounge on the 11th floor. She was warm and gracious and a true asset to the hotel. Bad news if you want to enjoy the pool on weekends. The hotel sells pool memberships to locals. So your 4 star hotel on the plaza in KC turns into Jersey Shore. Great thinking Intercontinental. We had the pool to ourselves during the week, however. Hotel location is the best and staff are friendly and well trained.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Rifle762
Dear Guest,

Thanks for spending your holiday weekend with us and for sharing your thoughts on Trip Advisor.

We appreciate your observation that our staff is well trained as obviously, there is a large focus on this. Your kind comments about Melanie will be shared with her. She really is a true hospitality professional!

My apologies for the pool being crowded on Labor Day. It is a very popular day to spend poolside and the hotel was full over the weekend. I'm happy to hear you were able to enjoy the pool more during the week.

We look forward to serving you again!

Galveston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2012

In August 2012, I attended a business conference that was held at the Hotel Intercontinental. This was a great location. The Staff from Valet's to the Front Desk on to Management were very helpful and Curtious. Even the behind the scenes staff would greet you as you walked by.

Mirianda Ye was most helpful in getting arrangements made for the differant conference functions during the week our association was there.

The rooms were very nice and comfortable. I did expierence one issue with Housekeeping not cleaning the room on one day. I had been out of the room all day and did not return until late evening. I called down and fresh towels were delivered right away. The next day the Housekeeping Supervisor came to the room in person and apologized for the mix up.

The food is very good, but a little on the pricy side. Almost $20 for breakfast. But they do have a great lunch deal for under $10.

This is an excellant location with many things to do within a short walk of the Hotel. I would most definately stay here again for business or pleasure.

Room Tip: The rooms on the upper floors (4th fl. and up have the better views of the area around the hotel.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Dannys313
HostKansasCity, General Manager at InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza, responded to this review, September 13, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your 5-star review!

We appreciate all your kind comments. Please know they will be shared with Miranda and the entire team.

We look forward to your next stay with us.

Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2012

My wife and I just returned from Labor Day weekend on the Plaza in Kansas City celebrating our anniversary. I booked the Intercontinental for it's location to all the action, relative price point, and foreseeable amenities. I was completely pleased with all three. I had been advised by a client to ask for a renovated room which I did after making my reservation. Upon check-in I asked for any available upgrades. The woman at the front desk said there was one Plaza view suite left on the 10th floor which she gave to us for the same rate. From then on it was all smiles for us. The room was clean, appealing, and comfortable. Since I have no frame of reference for the "un-renovated rooms" I would suggest asking upon making your reservation the same way I did. The valets were all very friendly and quick about bringing our car around. On Saturday night in the lobby bar there were two guys (one on guitar and one on bass) playing popular songs from the last 3+ decades - they were awesome! The hotel is right on top of the action on the Plaza and we were able to walk everywhere including dinner both nights. We chose to experience the restaurants around the hotel, but the Oak Room looked popular. I'm glad that the next time we go to KC we can book the Intercontinental and not think twice. Cheers!

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
HostKansasCity, General Manager at InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza, responded to this review, September 5, 2012

Happy Anniversary!

We're so happy you spent your special weekend with us! Thanks for choosing the InterContinental Kansas City and thank you for posting your thoughts on Trip Advisor.

Please know we appreciate all your kind comments, and we wll be sure to share them with our team.

Please also know that we do NOT have any "un-renovated rooms". Every guestroom was renovated in 2009. The only exception is our Presidential Suite, which underwent a $250,000 renovation in November 2011.

Again, thanks for staying with us and happy anniversary! We're anxious to be of further service to you during your next trip to Kansas City.

New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2012

Stayed in KC one night for business. It was another abnormally (100+degrees) Check-in was a breeze, the rooms were really nice. I did get a chance to eat dinner in the Oak room which I would recommend and overlooked the pool. The lobby was very nice and was setting up some live entertainment for the night. This is in a great location within walking distance to great shopping and additional dinning. Would come back.

Room Tip: Stayed in room 636. It overlooks the entryway.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
HostKansasCity, General Manager at InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza, responded to this review, September 3, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thanks for staying with us, and for posting your feedback on Trip Advisor!

We're happy to learn you enjoyed all aspects of your stay and that you will stay here again on your next trip to our great city. We will all look forward to the opportunity of serving you again!

Happy Labor Day!