We spent last weekend at the InterContinental in Kansas City. We have stayed at this hotel dozens of times over the last 25 years (even when it was a Ritz Carlton). You cannot beat the hotel for its proximity to the Plaza. Upon our arrival the bell staff was prompt and attentive. We arrived around 3:30 and were told the room we reserved on the conceirge level was not available because some rooms were being rennovated on the floor. I asked why they allowed us to make a reservation if thery were not going to be available. I was told it must be a miscommunication between the reservation website and the hotel. We were offered a comprable 7th floor room and would be granted access to the concerirge level. We declined this offer and what a surprise there were some rooms on the 10th floor that would be available shortly as soon as housekeeping was able to finish cleaning. "It would only take a moment" We headed to the lobby bar, where the very nice bartender fixed us a couple of drinks and called the front desk to monitor our room's availablity. Over 1 hour later we still did not have a room. My husband visited the front desk and was assurred one would be available soon. 20 minutes later our room was ready. The room did have a great a view of the plaza as we had requested in our reservation. The bed was very comfortable. The air conditioning never really cooled the room. The bathroom was very small and needed updating. The paint was chipped and the fixtures were showing their age. Before we headed back out to dinner that night we stopped at the conceirge lounge. It was very busy but the young man who was running the place, Craig?, was excellent and was working hard to make everyone enjoy their visit and provide local information when requested. At 3:00 AM our "neighbors" returned to their room and we were able to hear all of their conversation, door banging and drawer slamming. The hotel was very busy. Cardinal baseball players, several weddings and a trade show. It took us 20 minutes to get an elevator to take us to our room after dinner on Saturday night. For the money we spent I would have preferred The Raphael accross the street, we went over for breakfast and it was a lot quieter and looked recently updated. Too bad this use to be a great place to stay.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Luxury and elegance amidst Kansas City's finest in shopping and dining, the InterContinental Kansas City at the Country Club Plaza is the destination for leisure and business travel. The hotel completed a very extensive renovation in March 2017, giving a contemporary feel to a landmark hotel in Kansas City's premier location for shopping, dining, and entertainment. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, IHG, Orbitz, Booking.com, Hotwire, HotelQuickly, TripOnline SA and getaroom.com so you can book your InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Intercontinental Kansas City At The Plaza Hotel Kansas City
- Kansas City Intercontinental
- Fairmont Hotel Kansas City