InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza
The Fontaine(Kansas City)
  • Restaurant
  • Room Service
1,665 results
All reviewsconcierge floorcraig walterreubenfront deskchristmas lightsclub levelhappy hourthe entire staffself parkingoakloungeplazaalamedavaletbalconiesbellmanconference
FilterAll languages
Reviewed June 14, 2012

Two noisy nights at the InterContinental in KC. This room is right beside the service elavator and you could ear loud and clear the pulleys and the car going up and down. It would start at 6h00 am. The front desk could not offer another room, 200$ per night for a Mechanical concert!!!!!.
BD

Room Tip: Refuse room 712 very noisy right beside the service elevator
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank ben d
HostKansasCity, General Manager at InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2012

Dear Guest,

Please accept my apologies for the elevator noise disturbing your sleep. We obviously understand the value of a good night's rest and we regret you did not get to enjoy one while you were our guest.

Although I do not know the date you were here, I'm assuming we were sold out as we have been many times over the last few months, and our staff is trained to offer a room change anytime a guest would benefit from one.

Again, my apologies.

Reviewed June 9, 2012

Stayed at a group rate for business so I wasn't put off by anything that prevented me from calling this a 5 star hotel. Service was excellent, staff friendly, polite and helpful.
Location is good in that the upscale downtown area is close by. Taxis plentiful to go elsewhere.
A/C wasn't too loud. Just enough to block any street traffic. I was on an upper floor.

Only negatives: paint is peeling on railing on balcony. Bathroom scale didn't work.
Lighting in bathroom was so-so and bed definitely needs to be replaced.

Room Tip: Check the bed before unpacking
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
HostKansasCity, General Manager at InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded June 11, 2012

Dear Guest,

We're very happy to hear you consider us a 5-star hotel, and that you felt the service was excellent and found the staff to be friendly, polite and helpful! Thanks for posting your experience on Trip Advisor.

Shame on us for not noticing your bathroom scale was not working. This is a detail we shouldn't miss.

We'll look forward to serving you again during your next trip to Kansas City.

Reviewed June 8, 2012

My mom stayed here for a conference on Labor Day Weekend (Sunday night, Monday night) and we rented a room so that we could hang out by the pool. The rooms are fine, older but with nice bedding, a flat screen and our view was great from the 7th floor of the main building. It definitely has the "old charm" that I associate with Kansas City. The elevators were slow. And the pool area is nice, there's even a kiddie pool that's only a foot or so deep, but the pool was pretty dirty. And by dirty I mean I brought some brightly colored pool toys for the kids that ended up in the deep end of the big pool and when I went to locate them I couldn't see them while standing on the side of the pool. It was so cloudy that I had to swim around the bottom for several minutes to find them all. Pretty gross. The pool chairs and umbrellas are really nice and there were always plenty of towels. But even the pool area was pretty dirty with garbage, beer bottles, finished drinks, plates of food and dirty towels. I spent quite a bit of time pool side with my two boys and so I got a pretty good idea of how much (or little) attention is paid to that area. Our room was right next to the elevators so we heard the hum and banging of them all night long. You probably should make sure that you stay a few doors down from the elevators so that this doesn't happen to you. Parking is expensive, even self parking. For the budget conscious, there is free parking on the street on Ward Pkwy and there's even an entrance for the ballrooms that you can use with convenient elevator access. And the location is great. You are just a block over from the Plaza with tons of shopping and options for places to eat and drink without having to drive. It was fine for the reduced price that we paid but I would have been disappointed if I had paid full price. Nice but not that nice.

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms that are right next to the elevators. The rooms on the backside of the hotel look out on a parking structure. The ones in the main building look out over the plaza...I'd say the higher the story the better the view.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
HostKansasCity, General Manager at InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded June 9, 2012

Dear Guest,

We're pleased you enjoyed your room, the great view and the charm of the hotel!

Your comments about the cleanliness of the pool deck have been shared with the pool staff. We do have a full time staff at the pool seven days each week, with increased staffing on weekends and holidays. As you know, the pool was extremely popular with guests during the Memorial Day weekend and I apologize if we were a little slow cleaning up.

The comment about the pool being cloudy at the bottom was surprising. We also have a dedicated staff to keep the pool clean and balanced chemically. This is checked at least four times daily, and there have not been any issues. Yours is the first comment we've heard,

We hope to have the opportunity to serve you again during your next trip to Kansas City.

Reviewed June 7, 2012

Stayed here for one night during the Gumball 3000 rally. Seemed like a pretty straightforward business hotel with comfortable rooms and good staff. We walked around the area which was very nice with lots of bars and restaurants. Had dinner at the Capitol Grille a couple blocks away which was excellent. Wasn't really here for more than a few hours so can't give that many details.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
HostKansasCity, General Manager at InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded June 8, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing the InterContinental Kansas City. We're pleased you enjoyed your stay with us! Thanks also for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor.

We hope the Gumball Rally was everything you wanted it to be.

Reviewed June 2, 2012

I have stayed in many 3, 4 and 5 star hotels and would actually rate this experience as NEGATIVE FIVE STAR experience. That's -5 star!
Upon check on the hotel staff was clueless about the status of their own pool being open and told us to go to the sheriton if we wanted to swim. While going to our room we noticed the pool was open and had many people swimming in it.

They also mentioned our room had no tub - ok - then it did have a tub. Joking that the lobby host must be on crack we dismissed these events.

The next morning we went to enjoy breakfast with the mealtickets we purchased for extra money only to find their was only one choice from the menu or the buffet. Deciding on the buffet we found no fruit on the fruit tray and no biscuits for the biscuits and gravy. When mentioning this to the manager he barked at us about the problem and no apology.

We later found that we were charged extern for incidentals which we didn't use. When talking go the manager she said she would correct the problem immediately - five days later there has been no a tion to correct the over billing.

This is perhaps the worst hotel in Kansas city. I will NEVER return. The day it goes bankrupt is no doubt near!

• Stayed: May 2012
1  Thank docvinodinero
HostKansasCity, General Manager at InterContinental Kansas City at the Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded June 5, 2012

Dear Guest,

Please accept my apologies for your unpleasant stay.

There should not have been any restrictions on what you may order with your breakfast coupons. The actions you describe by members of our staff, including managers, is extremely unusual to hear and embarrassing.

We would very much appreciate the opportunity to be able to make amends to you. Additionally, it would be very helpful if you could share additional details to allow us to follow-up with our staff. Please feel comfortable in contacting me at dbreckenridge@kansascityic.com.