“OK, but not up to Marriott's usual standards” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Kansas City Marriott Downtown

Kansas City Marriott Downtown
Ranked #22 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
asheville, north carolina
“OK, but not up to Marriott's usual standards”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2010

This is actually two hotels, a newer Marriott, and, across as intersection, the older section. The two are joined by a second floor walkway. But this arrangement means, for example, that to go from one of the upper floor rooms in one section, to one in the other, you first have to go all the way down one building, then up the other. Since the fitness center is on the top floor of the new building, and my room was on the 16th floor of the old one, it was quite a trek. Too, there are two lobbies, two sets of restaurants, etc.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (274)
kansas city
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2010

We stayed at the Marriott Downtown (Meuhlebach Tower) for the weekend. There was a large party in the hotel which we attended, as well. From the moment we checked in, every minute until we checked out was perfect. Parking was even easy. The party was beautifully put together, the staff and executive staff went out of their way to make our stay the best. The bed was so comfy, the crispy clean duvet cover was an elegant addition (my person favorite thing in a hotel.) The shower was fantastic, we had a great flat screen TV, big windows, a cool view, and our 2 meals plus snacks were delicious. Even with a large group of young people staying in the hotel, our room was super quiet. The elevators are really fast and smooth. I loved it all!! I could go on and on...Thank you, Marriott Downtown!!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Olathe, Kansas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2010

The hotel is located in the perfect spot if your planning a night out to the Sprint Center or Power and Light... both are in comfortable walking distance. The hotel employees were very helpful, the parking garage was a breeze ( besides the $13 daily fee ) but i guess that's better than having someone break in your car. the area around the hotel was awesome.. fountains right out front with a nice big sitting area by some great KC sculptures, perfect for pics ! The beds, comforter, and pillows are the best... the shower.. not so great, but the rest of the hotel made up for that. I will be putting this hotel on my " stay again " list in the very near future.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Albuquerque, New Mexico
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2010

I stayed at the Marriott for a national conference. When I first checked in, there was a work cart & ladder in my room although it showed in their system as available. Someone came & took them away within about half an hour. I reported a leaking toilet twice (over the course of 2 days) before it was fixed.

The internet service was an additional cost and was very slow. When I called to complain, I was told it was because people (and they implied I was one of them, although I hadn't been able to do much of anything) were using too much bandwidth watching videos or downloading files.

The room is in dire need of:
- a shower shelf -- there's no place to put shampoo, etc.
- more electrical outlets -- I had to unplug a lamp to plug in my laptop
- a room safe
- full length mirror

The location is downtown, but there's frankly not much to do in downtown KC. There were a couple of restaurants a few blocks away, but everything else required a taxi. If I ever go back, I'd stay near the Plaza shopping area.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2010

Stayed at this hotel on business it was very comfortable and clean lotsof pillows on the bed and the bed was perfect for me

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
Boston, MA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2010

My husband had to travel to KC on business, so my 3 year old daughter and I accompanied him. We stayed at this hotel because it has a business traveler discount arrangement with my husband's company. We arrived late at night and had a very tired and cranky toddler on our hands. We originally did not ask for a crib, but after realizing she would not settle down in the bed, we called the front desk at nearly 1:00 AM and asked for one. They were very acommodating and brought the crib up in no time. We encountered Carol, the general manager, several times during our stay and she was always very friendly and went out of her way to talk to our daughter, and even gave her a Nickelodeon gift bag. The one negative for us was that the locker rooms at the pool were closed for renovation, so we had to leave the pool and return to our room when my daughter had to use the bathroom. Other than that, we really had no complaints. Our room was clean, the housekeeping staff always cleaned it very promptly, front desk staff and bellman were very friendly as well. We ate at Lilly's Restaurant once for lunch and portions were small for the price, but the food was decent. There isn't too much kid-friendly entertainment within walking distance, but cabs are readily available. Overall, a positive experience.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2010

One of the most quiet hotel rooms I've stayed in. I didn't hear one outside noise the entire time I was in the room, and the hotel was busy the week I stayed. The decor could use some updating, not as much in the rooms as in the rest of the hotel. The bar off of the lobby is seriously outdated. Breakfast in the hotel restaurant was tasty. A quick walk to other restaurants and a few shops, but I think the only real reason to stay here is to be close to the convention center. Oh, the staff at the coffee stand off of the lobby were some of the slowest moving coffee people I've ever seen. But the bed was very comfortable and I slept great every night.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business