“Great Location”

Kansas City Marriott Downtown
Ranked #17 of 111 Hotels in Kansas City
Reviewed September 20, 2008

Nice hotel in the Power & Light district, located right next to the KC Convention Center.

Stayed in the Muehlebach Tower of the Marriott, which evidently Marriott built within the last 10 years, joining the historical Muehlebach Hotel with the Marriott. There is now a skybridge that connects the new tower with the Marriott.

The rooms are nice, comfortable, and worthwhile. The Gym, located on the 22nd floor of the Marriott is very nice, with tons of modern equipment (50+ tredmills, stairmaters, elliptical machines, etc.). The pool leaves a little to be desired, but alas this is mostly a business hotel.

Of note, the original Muehlebach Hotel is gorgeous, although I believe ununsed. Part of the purchase of the hotel by Marriott, was restoring the Muehlebach, and the original lobby looks like its from the 1940's. Simply beautiful. Unfortunately, its not used at all, and seems to be merely a decorative piece. Its a shame, its the nicest part of this hotel.

Stayed: September 2008
Write a ReviewReviews (1,208)

Reviewed September 18, 2008

We stayed here for a week for a conference and I was very impressed. I arrived on the train very late and the hotel staff helped me all along the way. Get your walking shoes on though this is a big place. The food for the conference was wonderful. They put on such a spread and again the staff were so helpful. I just found them to be the best I've met and seen in a long time. I can't say there is a lot I would change. My room was clean and very pleasant.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed August 11, 2008

The Marriot was a one of the hotels participating in the conference I was attending, so I chose them based on their proximity to the convention center-- just across the park and down the street.

The hotel was very clean, well appointed, and comfy. Bed was great--very cushy, with great big fluffy duvet. Staff was friendly and helpful. Views from the upper floors were great. Service at the restaurant was really slow--they actually goofed my room service order one night, lost it somehow--and I didn't get my dinner until 9:30pm-- but they felt so bad about it that they comped my meal, and also offered me a free breakfast in the morning. Nice. More than made up for the goof.

The top-floor excercise room was well-outfitted with gear, plus it had an exceptional view of the city!

Kansas City was fun- I enjoyed my time there. I walked all around downtown area at all hours of the day and evening (had no car, so I hoofed it everywhere) and though I once got propositioned by a hobo, I felt fairly safe there most of the time. The city is investing in renovations downtown, and young urban hipsters are moving in to condos.

The Marriot was very nice-- also easy to find my way back at night due to the amazing wild "light show" on the building.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank GhiaGirl
Reviewed August 7, 2008

Normally I enjoy staying at Marriott hotels, as they are very consistent and provide a quality stay. This hotel, however, was an exception. The hotel (both towers) appear dated with worn elevators and old-style Marriott carpets and wallpaper. The upper floors in the Annex Tower were, however, being updated but were being worked on at 10pm so you could hear the noise. The old-style CRT in my room buzzed and I reported the issue twice to Maintenance but it was never fixed. The young front desk staff in the Annex Tower seemed bored and provided little interest in guest service or knowledge of the area. The clerk at check-out was unable to print out a duplicate receipt and was rather curt to me. I will not stay at this Marriott again.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed June 30, 2008

My husband and I went to Kansas City for the Ribfest, which was occurring for the first time in KC. Usually we go to the Ribfest in St. Louis, but were out of town for that so we decided to try KC.

We picked the Marriott because some friends of ours were performing on the music stage on Saturday evening and we wanted to stay in the same hotel where they were staying. Typically we look for more downscale, that is to say, more affordable lodging, but when I contacted the Marriott and explained that we were friends of one of the bands, they very nicely gave us the band rate, which was considerably less than the internet price. I thought that was extremely generous of them to do, since they didn't really have to do it. So bravo, Marriott! You officially have my vote of confidence.

The hotel was lovely, and the rooms were very nice, although not ostentatious. We were a long way from the elevator, but on the bright side, that meant that not a lot of people would be stumbling past the room at all hours either :-) There was not microwave or fridge, but then considering the price at which we got the room, I'm not complaining about that. I'm sure there were rooms that had both these options, and I'm sure the occupants paid a lot more than we did for their room.

Since we were downtown, we also had to pay to park in the hotel garage, but we were allowed to self-park and we did have in/out privileges for one price per day, so that was nice. However, I believe that valet parking was not any extra, except for whatever tip you gave to the valet of course. We did not use it simply because my husband does not like strangers driving his vehicle or having to wait for someone else to bring it to him when he's ready to go.

The bar in the hotel lobby was a good place to hang out with our friends and there was plenty of room for everyone. We even got permission to use the grand piano in the lobby and we sat around and listened to our friend perform until the wee hours on Friday night/Saturday morning. Again, it was very gracious of the hotel to allow this.

I would definitely suggest this hotel to anyone looking for a grand place to stay in downtown Kansas City. They had a great business center at one end of the main floor which was accessible with your room key card. I used the workout room which was staffed and stocked with towels to use. TVs were viewable from all machines. I did not hit the pool but it looked nice.

Normal prices are a bit high for my taste, but if you don't mind paying the prices, then this hotel will give you your money's worth, no question in my mind.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with friends
1  Thank tek_wryter
Reviewed June 23, 2008

I stayed one night at this beautiful, huge hotel, and I was extremely impressed with the cleanliness and comfort of the room and the precise service of the staff. All staff I encoutered--valets, bellhops, room service, and housekeepers--were outstandingly fast and careful, even though the hotel is vast and very busy. Good service means a lot to me. The room service food was delicious, and the bath products were awesome, too. I really appreciate the reliability of Marriott, and this one was no exception. I definitely recommend this hotel if you need to stay in KC. Excellent bed, outstanding service, extremely clean--what could be better?!?!

• Stayed: June 2008
1  Thank whateverintexas
Reviewed May 14, 2008

Wonderful hotel. Centrally located to many downtown activities. Hotel rooms have been recently updated. My room had new furnishings. I have stayed here over the course of the last three years and rooms have been updated.

Staff is excellent. Enjoyed both of the restaurants--Lily's and Pam Pam. Ate at both several times.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled on business