“Surprised not in a good way”

Kansas City Marriott Downtown
Ranked #21 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
Sasakwa, United States
“Surprised not in a good way”
Reviewed July 28, 2013

Stayed here for 5 nights for a conference in a room with 3 other people and had to put up a credit card for a charge of $250 A PERSON, $1000 just IN CASE we charged room service. Was not told of this until we arrived. It was refunded if we didnt use anything but could take up to 30 days. The crazy thing is, there are no mini fridges, microwaves, mini bars or even hairdryers in the rooms! No breakfast, really surprised by this chain, i won't stay at a marriott again. The service was average, didn't get our rooms cleaned until about 4pm everyday. My colleagues will not stay here again. The only thing good about this was it was within walking distance to our events.

1 Thank Brandy R
Rusty M, General Manager at Kansas City Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. Your satisfaction is very important to us and we try hard to make sure that all of our guests have a rewarding experience at our hotel. I will address your comments with my team and use your feedback to make improvements where needed. We hope that the next time you're in the area you will consider staying with us again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (279)
West Des Moines, Iowa
Reviewed July 28, 2013

Seriously, do NOT let them stick you in the Muehlebach Tower. It's old. It smells. And it's not easy to get to. You don't have easy access to the beautiful fitness center or the dining facilities. Everything is in the main building. Our room cards didn't work. Our room reeked of Ben Gay and the air conditioning was trying it's best and failing miserably. The furnishings are old and beat up. I don't think I've ever been afraid to leave my clothing in a Marriott before, but nothing came out of the suitcase in this hotel. After hours you cannot enter the building except by main entrance and the area is very sketchy so beware.

I complained to the front desk and it was obvious that she was used to hearing these complaints and just didn't care. All I got was a tired, blank stare and a canned response, "Would you like me to send maintenance up to try to fix ________" Really??? How is maintenance going to remove Ben Gay odor? I am disappointed and disgusted.

I only gave the hotel 2 stars (rather than 1) because the main building is gorgeous. (what we got to experience of it - I didn't see the rooms) The Fitness Center is First rate with beautiful views as you work out. The lobby was just as you want from a Marriott. Classy and beautiful, fresh lemon water, friendly staff....then you walk the nearly half mile to the M Tower and enter into a whole different world. Badly done, Marriott.

Room Tip: Do not stay in the Muehlebach Tower!!!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay as we do appreciate your feedback. I am so sorry that you did not have a good experience with us. We strive for 100% guest satisfaction. We are currently working on a renovation schedule to begin updating the look of our guest rooms in the future. We hope you will give us another chance in the future, experience our new look and let us turn your experience into a positive one!
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed July 23, 2013

I wasn't terribly impressed with this property. It was average. I expect more from a Marriott. The rooms were okay,but, very dated. This hotel desperately needs a renovation. The staff was pleasant. It is doubtful if I would return to this hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Rusty M, General Manager at Kansas City Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
We appreicate your feedback and want to thank you for your recent stay here at the Kansas City Marriott Downtown. We are currently working on a renovation schedule to begin updating the look of our guest rooms in the future. We hope you will give us another chance in the future, experience our new look and let us turn your negative experience into a positive one!
Monrovia, California, United States
Reviewed July 20, 2013

The hotel location is beautiful and the service was very good. However, the rooms were outdated and the furniture in our room was particularly bad. The dresser had scratches all over it and the refrigerator had been ripped out. I felt as if I was staying at bargain basement hotel. This hotel made me question the Marriott brand. Next time I am in town I will not stay here.

Room Tip: Stay at another hotel!
1 Thank Brian Diane T
Rusty M, General Manager at Kansas City Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Just wanted to thank you for your recent stay here at the Kansas City Marriott Downtown. So glad you were able to experience our authentic Marriott hospitality! We are currently working on a renovation schedule to begin updating the look of our guest rooms in the future. We hope you will give us another chance in the future, experience our new look and let us turn your negative experience into a positive one!
Reviewed July 19, 2013

Rooms are in bad need of an update. The lobby looks pretty modern, but its just a front to soften the blow you receive when you walk into your room. Poor service, only a 50% answer rate when calling the front desk. Good location, but there are much nicer hotels just as close. Would not stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013
Thank you for your review. We are currently working on a renovation schedule to begin updating the look of our guest rooms in the future. We hope you will give us another chance in the future, experience our new look and let us turn your negative experience into a positive one.
Dubuque, Iowa
Reviewed July 18, 2013

I attended a convention here and as an exhibitor the staff was extremely helpful. There is not much to do on site and there are only a few restaurants within close proximity. The hotel is broken into two sections, I must have stayed in the older section connected via skywalk with the main hotel. The rooms were older and dark...I also didn't get maid service until late in the day.

Room Tip: Try to stay in the newer part of the hotel.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Thanks for staying with us at the Kansas City Marriott Downtown. I'm happy to hear that our staff was helpful! Thank you for your feedback. We do hope you will consider staying with us again.
Reviewed June 30, 2013 via mobile

This downtown KC Marriott's rooms are furnished and their layouts are identical to many other Marriotts across the U.S.. My company is directly billed and I have no idea how the cost range for the rooms and can only give my impression without a cost-value basis. Hopefully, my description will help you decide if you think your projected cost will equal the value you're seeking! First, the area immediately around the hotel seems as safe and clean as other cities downtown with convention centers 2+/- blocks away. There are two towers at the hotel and to get to the tower across the street from the lobby you must ride yhe lobby elevator to the 2nd floor, walk a few yards and proceed over a skywalk for several yards to the 2nd tower, use your room key to open that tower's door, turn a couple of times, and use that tower's elevator to take you to your floor. To get to a room in the tower that the lobby is in, simply ride the elevator adjacent to the lobby to your room. I was in the first described tower across the street and do not know if there is a difference in each tower's rooms. The room average-to-large for a standard room with two beds. The rooms seemed semi-renovated: newer styled bed linens and accessories (lamps) but a little older style Marriott furnishings that were in good condition. The bathroom counter has been updated with granite and included basic+ amenities: shampoo, cond, lotion, & soap. The room was clean: no bath mold, carpet worn but not stained,etc. I found the bed comfortable, but I am easy to please in bed comfort. One thing I always notice is whether or not the bed pillows have a "sweaty head" smell and these did not (when they do, I grab the allergenic pillows from the closet). There was adequate outlets amd lighting for desk work. The room's window opened outward about four inches which is unusual to find nowadays. My room was 4 doors from the elevators and was quiet. The room had an ironing board & iron, as well as a coffee & tea with a maker. I did notice that the reception on my particular T.V. was somewhat fuzzy like older broadcasts before digital. I have posted pictures of my room from several angles before unpacking if that helps. I ordered room service twice and the food was good and well presented, and timely. I will say that at this hotel the extra costs of room svc at this hotel are 10-20% higher than other U.S. Hotels of the same caliber. I was here on a Tue/Wed and at 10:30pm the lobby bar was quite busy if you're interested in that. Everyone on the hotel staff was very pleasant--even those encountered in passing in the hallways. I would rate this hotel a 3&1/2-3&3/4 stars based on a JW Marriott or Ritz-Carlton being a 5. Hope the review and photos help you decide.

• Stayed June 2013
3 Thank IntlFlightAttendant
Rusty M, General Manager at Kansas City Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Thank you for your comments. We are very fortunate to have so many great reviews here on TripAdvisor and I greatly appreciate you adding your experience. I hope to see you return to us soon for another great Marriott experience!