“It's a U.S. Marriott & Exactly as Expected” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Kansas City Marriott Downtown

Kansas City Marriott Downtown
Ranked #22 of 112 Hotels in Kansas City
“It's a U.S. Marriott & Exactly as Expected”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013 via mobile

This downtown KC Marriott's rooms are furnished and their layouts are identical to many other Marriotts across the U.S.. My company is directly billed and I have no idea how the cost range for the rooms and can only give my impression without a cost-value basis. Hopefully, my description will help you decide if you think your projected cost will equal the value you're seeking! First, the area immediately around the hotel seems as safe and clean as other cities downtown with convention centers 2+/- blocks away. There are two towers at the hotel and to get to the tower across the street from the lobby you must ride yhe lobby elevator to the 2nd floor, walk a few yards and proceed over a skywalk for several yards to the 2nd tower, use your room key to open that tower's door, turn a couple of times, and use that tower's elevator to take you to your floor. To get to a room in the tower that the lobby is in, simply ride the elevator adjacent to the lobby to your room. I was in the first described tower across the street and do not know if there is a difference in each tower's rooms. The room average-to-large for a standard room with two beds. The rooms seemed semi-renovated: newer styled bed linens and accessories (lamps) but a little older style Marriott furnishings that were in good condition. The bathroom counter has been updated with granite and included basic+ amenities: shampoo, cond, lotion, & soap. The room was clean: no bath mold, carpet worn but not stained,etc. I found the bed comfortable, but I am easy to please in bed comfort. One thing I always notice is whether or not the bed pillows have a "sweaty head" smell and these did not (when they do, I grab the allergenic pillows from the closet). There was adequate outlets amd lighting for desk work. The room's window opened outward about four inches which is unusual to find nowadays. My room was 4 doors from the elevators and was quiet. The room had an ironing board & iron, as well as a coffee & tea with a maker. I did notice that the reception on my particular T.V. was somewhat fuzzy like older broadcasts before digital. I have posted pictures of my room from several angles before unpacking if that helps. I ordered room service twice and the food was good and well presented, and timely. I will say that at this hotel the extra costs of room svc at this hotel are 10-20% higher than other U.S. Hotels of the same caliber. I was here on a Tue/Wed and at 10:30pm the lobby bar was quite busy if you're interested in that. Everyone on the hotel staff was very pleasant--even those encountered in passing in the hallways. I would rate this hotel a 3&1/2-3&3/4 stars based on a JW Marriott or Ritz-Carlton being a 5. Hope the review and photos help you decide.

• Stayed June 2013
3 Thank IntlFlightAttendant
Rusty M, General Manager at Kansas City Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Thank you for your comments. We are very fortunate to have so many great reviews here on TripAdvisor and I greatly appreciate you adding your experience. I hope to see you return to us soon for another great Marriott experience!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (260)
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

When you first walk into the Lobby it gives a WOW factor to it and as a Platinum member the Front Desk graciously Upgraded us to a HUGE Suite you could have thrown a football in (not to worry GM we did not) decorated with comfy chairs and sofa, large dinning area for 6, and a king bed in another section.
Well with a room like this we had to order room service for breakfast and I kid you not... after hanging up the phone our hot meal was delivered in 10 minutes - THE FASTEST EVER for us.
Thumbs up for us we had a great time even if it was for 1 night. This was our favourite hotel on our 30 day road trip across the USA.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank advcardio
We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback regarding your recent stay with us and want to thank you for your great comments regarding your guest room and room service! We take pride in our Midwest hospitality and we are delighted that your stay was an enjoyable one! We look forward to having you back soon!
Louisville, Kentucky
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

The hotel lobby is new, open and fresh. First rate coffee bar and snack shoppe.

The concierge lounge was the best one I have ever experienced at a Marriott; Really top shelf with soup, grilled cheeses, and a very well appointed and large room.

The room itself was the definition of average.

The check in process, which I began with Paula, was unacceptable. She refused to believe that Concierge was sending emails asking for room preferences. After I showed her the emails and proved it, her manager - Ms. McCray - apologized and made things much better. She is top notch. Paula needs training.

Valet was ok and room service was ok too. Room Service should use a cart and not force the server to carry a tray - that seems unfair to her.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank KeithAHall
Rusty M, General Manager at Kansas City Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
We are very pleased you enjoyed our Midwest hospitality during your stay at the Kansas City Marriott Downtown and also that you enjoyed our Concierge Lounge! We thank you for your feedback and we hope to have the pleasure of serving you again in the future.
Medina, Minnesota, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

On the second night of my visit I had trouble with my internet and inabiilty to charge a meal to my room because I wasn't listed as 'registered' despite the fact that I had checked-in and had a funcitioning key. I called the front desk and I was assured the problem had been addressed, At approximately 1 am I learned that the problem had not been addressed when a stranger entered my room with a newly issued key. Despite that bizarre and awkward encounter the most disturbing thing was yet to come. In the morning after working out my key didn't work. I went down to the front desk for a new key. I was asked for ID which I of course didn't have. I suggested that they send someone up to the room with me to verify my identity. The front desk clerk simply asked for my name and issued me a new key without really knowing who I was???? That carelessness made it clear to me how this unfortunate incident occurred.

Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank Brian M
Rusty M, General Manager at Kansas City Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. We're very sorry you experienced an undesirable stay and level of customer service. The issues you mentioned are not typical of our hotel and we are incredibly sorry for every inconvenience. Please contact us directly for further assistance with any of these matters. We do appreciate your alerting us to this issue and we hope you will give us a second chance if your return to Kansas City.
Dallas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

This recently refreshed hotel has really undergone a transformation. In the heart of downtown and close to the convention center, it is within safe walking distance of the Power and Light and Crossroads districts. The rooms are quiet and comfortable, and the new lobby is just spectacular. They also upgraded the concierge lounge to be one of the nicest in North America.
For the most part, the staff is friendly and helpful, but there does seem to be some confusion. While staying on a weekend, they provided me with a free breakfast voucher, good for two, since the Concierge Lounge is closed. Since I had my two kids, I asked for a second voucher and was given one with a smile. However, on Sunday when I asked for an extra voucher, I was told no, and that it was limited to one per room. Since the CL is open to the entire family, I debated this with the staff for a bit and was finally told that children aren’t allowed in the CL anyway (which is COMPLETELY inaccurate). A manager overheard this and stated that actually there is no charge for children at the breakfast buffet anyway, so I wouldn’t need the extra voucher. Happy, I proceeded to an enjoyable breakfast, but then had to have the same argument with my server!

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank jmtrup
Rusty M, General Manager at Kansas City Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Thank you for taking a moment to share your experience. I am happy to hear you found our newly renovated hotel to your liking. Please accept our apology for the confusion with your breakfast on Sunday. We want you to know that the comments we receive from our guests are taken very seriously and we have addressed this situation in an effort to minimize this happening in the future. We hope you will let us serve your travel needs at the Kansas City Marriott Downtown should you return to the Kansas City area in the future.
Berkley, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for a conference held in early June 2013. The service received at the Hotel was fantastic! As you walked thru the Hotel, every staff person said "Hello" or "Good Morning". Many asked how my stay was going and if I needed any assistance. I was looking for a Diet Coke in one of the towers and one of the staff ran to the back to assist me. The next morning they saw me in the hall and asked if I needed another Diet Coke - and got me one! Can't thank them enough for the great service. The rooms weren't luxurious, but very clean and comfortable. I had no issues with excessive noise or temperature in the room. I would highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Marge B
Rusty M, General Manager at Kansas City Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, June 13, 2013
Thanks for staying here at the Kansas City Marriott Downtown. We're glad you experienced our caring service and comfortable guest room. We know it's the little things that make your stay more comfortable. Hope to see you again soon!
Albuquerque
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

We attended an airport conference at the Marriott Hotel in Downtown Kansas City June 2-5, 2013. The staff at the hotel from the front desk to the wait staff to the cleaning person was friendly and attentive. As you walked through the hotel, whoever you encountered said hello and made you feel special. Since I was here for a conference, you never know what to expect for the conference food. Oh My Gosh!! Our Welcome Reception had delicious home made crab cakes and a crisp pastry with shrimp and seafood which were my favorite!! Every meal had fresh fruit which was sweet and fresh. How can I go home knowing I won't get fresh sweet strawberries, cantaloupe, or honeydew with my meal. The pastries whether served at breakfast, break, or lunch were superb!!! I loved my oatmeal raison bread, my chocolate mouse, my cheesecake with strawberry sauce, and the cakes for dessert. I never tried the cookies so I can't comment about them. I did have breakfast in the restaurant our first morning before the conference started and loved it. I had the oatmeal with fresh berries and an English muffin. It was so much food!! And delicious! And a value at $10 which included juice and coffee or tea. What my husband did find was the coffee in the room was better than the coffee in the restaurant. While I do have to say I had a wonderful experience at this hotel, two things made it fabulous: the food, because I was at a 3 day conference which included breakfast, lunch, and breaks, and the SERVICE. Everyone was so friendly!! You would pass an employee in the hall and they would say hello, and I am an outgoing person so I like that! I think this hotel has more going for it than 5 star service!! If I ever have to return to Kansas City, I will come back to the Marriott Downtown!!

Room Tip: Stay in the main tower. While the Muelbach Tower had been refirb, we enjoyed the view from the main...