“Nice property in the heart of Downtown”

Kansas City Marriott Downtown
Ranked #21 of 108 Hotels in Kansas City
Dallas
“Nice property in the heart of Downtown”
Reviewed June 14, 2013

This recently refreshed hotel has really undergone a transformation. In the heart of downtown and close to the convention center, it is within safe walking distance of the Power and Light and Crossroads districts. The rooms are quiet and comfortable, and the new lobby is just spectacular. They also upgraded the concierge lounge to be one of the nicest in North America.
For the most part, the staff is friendly and helpful, but there does seem to be some confusion. While staying on a weekend, they provided me with a free breakfast voucher, good for two, since the Concierge Lounge is closed. Since I had my two kids, I asked for a second voucher and was given one with a smile. However, on Sunday when I asked for an extra voucher, I was told no, and that it was limited to one per room. Since the CL is open to the entire family, I debated this with the staff for a bit and was finally told that children aren’t allowed in the CL anyway (which is COMPLETELY inaccurate). A manager overheard this and stated that actually there is no charge for children at the breakfast buffet anyway, so I wouldn’t need the extra voucher. Happy, I proceeded to an enjoyable breakfast, but then had to have the same argument with my server!

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank jmtrup
Rusty M, General Manager at Kansas City Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Thank you for taking a moment to share your experience. I am happy to hear you found our newly renovated hotel to your liking. Please accept our apology for the confusion with your breakfast on Sunday. We want you to know that the comments we receive from our guests are taken very seriously and we have addressed this situation in an effort to minimize this happening in the future. We hope you will let us serve your travel needs at the Kansas City Marriott Downtown should you return to the Kansas City area in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (291)
Berkley, Michigan
Reviewed June 12, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for a conference held in early June 2013. The service received at the Hotel was fantastic! As you walked thru the Hotel, every staff person said "Hello" or "Good Morning". Many asked how my stay was going and if I needed any assistance. I was looking for a Diet Coke in one of the towers and one of the staff ran to the back to assist me. The next morning they saw me in the hall and asked if I needed another Diet Coke - and got me one! Can't thank them enough for the great service. The rooms weren't luxurious, but very clean and comfortable. I had no issues with excessive noise or temperature in the room. I would highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Marge B
Rusty M, General Manager at Kansas City Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, June 13, 2013
Thanks for staying here at the Kansas City Marriott Downtown. We're glad you experienced our caring service and comfortable guest room. We know it's the little things that make your stay more comfortable. Hope to see you again soon!
Albuquerque
Reviewed June 5, 2013

We attended an airport conference at the Marriott Hotel in Downtown Kansas City June 2-5, 2013. The staff at the hotel from the front desk to the wait staff to the cleaning person was friendly and attentive. As you walked through the hotel, whoever you encountered said hello and made you feel special. Since I was here for a conference, you never know what to expect for the conference food. Oh My Gosh!! Our Welcome Reception had delicious home made crab cakes and a crisp pastry with shrimp and seafood which were my favorite!! Every meal had fresh fruit which was sweet and fresh. How can I go home knowing I won't get fresh sweet strawberries, cantaloupe, or honeydew with my meal. The pastries whether served at breakfast, break, or lunch were superb!!! I loved my oatmeal raison bread, my chocolate mouse, my cheesecake with strawberry sauce, and the cakes for dessert. I never tried the cookies so I can't comment about them. I did have breakfast in the restaurant our first morning before the conference started and loved it. I had the oatmeal with fresh berries and an English muffin. It was so much food!! And delicious! And a value at $10 which included juice and coffee or tea. What my husband did find was the coffee in the room was better than the coffee in the restaurant. While I do have to say I had a wonderful experience at this hotel, two things made it fabulous: the food, because I was at a 3 day conference which included breakfast, lunch, and breaks, and the SERVICE. Everyone was so friendly!! You would pass an employee in the hall and they would say hello, and I am an outgoing person so I like that! I think this hotel has more going for it than 5 star service!! If I ever have to return to Kansas City, I will come back to the Marriott Downtown!!

Room Tip: Stay in the main tower. While the Muelbach Tower had been refirb, we enjoyed the view from the main...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Rusty M, General Manager at Kansas City Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, June 6, 2013
We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback regarding your recent stay with us and want to thank you for your comments. We are glad you enjoyed all of your meals and our Midwest hospitality during your stay! We hope to see you return to us soon for another great Marriott experience!
New Orleans, Louisiana, United States
Reviewed June 5, 2013

I stayed there about a month ago. The property itself is pretty average (was clearly super nice about 5-10 years ago) but it's clean and comfortable, and the concierge lounge is great except that alcoholic drinks are quite pricey. The one way in which the hotel really annoyed me was that the hair dryer was from approximately 1980 and did nothing for me - bring your own if you need one. But, I managed to lose my house keys while I was there and they found them and mailed them back to me free of charge. Such excellent customer service!

Room Tip: The Muhlenberg tower rooms are harder to get to from the lobby, so I'd avoid them if possible.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Lauren K
Thank you for taking a moment to share your experience. We are happy to hear you found our customer service to your liking! We look forward to serving your travel needs at the Kansas City Marriott Downtown should you return to the Kansas City area.
Boston, MA
Reviewed June 4, 2013

I stayed here for a night in May 2013 for business. The rooms were average - clean and comfortable. I'm not sure I'd choose the hotel for a leisure trip, but it was good for an overight work stay. I was put in the building across the street, which was not an issue for me. The location was close to both my office as well as the Power & Light District for dinner, which was nice.

Room Tip: Should request to be in the main building if that is important to you.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Rusty M, General Manager at Kansas City Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Thanks for your kind comments about your recent stay with us. Hope to see you return again soon. Safe travels!
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed June 3, 2013

I had not been back to KC in over 20 years but attended a wedding over the weekend and found this hotel to be a total gem. A very service oriented place with everyone from the bell staff, restaurant and bar servers to front desk staff totally on top of their game. I stay at many other Marriotts across the country on a regular basis but have not found one to be any more impressive than this location.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Rusty M, General Manager at Kansas City Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
We are very pleased you enjoyed our Midwest hospitality during your stay at the Kansas City Marriott Downtown! We value your business and we strive to meet your expectations. We thank you for your feedback and we hope to have the pleasure of serving you again in the future.
West Palm Beach, Florida
Reviewed June 3, 2013

I recently completed a tour of the midwest and attended six major league baseball games in six cities, and overall this was a great location and hotel. The room was clean and bright and staff at the front desk was excellent. My toast from room service was a little soggy though.

Overall, it was ok and I may be back next time I go to a Royals game.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking a moment to share your experience. I am happy to hear you found the Kansas City Marriott Downtown to your liking. We look forward to serving your travel needs when you return to the Kansas City area.