“Outstanding Hotel with Above Average Service”

Kansas City Marriott Downtown
Ranked #21 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
Reviewed October 9, 2012

Recently stayed at this hotel on a business trip. Upon arrival I was greeted and recognized for being a platinum guest with Marriott. I was offered an upgrade to a suite which had 2 bath's a living room, dining room, work area and bedroom. They had already put extra pillows in my room as well.

The front desk went above and beyond to ensure I had a great stay. The valet parking staff did a great job as well. The concierge lounge had a nice selection of refreshments for happy hour, the breakfast was very good and its located in dowtown KC.

I would highly recommend this hotel if you visit KC.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Cynthia S, General Manager at Kansas City Marriott Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded November 9, 2012

Thank you for your kind words. They mean so much coming from a guest with the travel experience of a Marriott Platinum Rewards traveler.

Reviewed October 8, 2012

Stayed here for a conference. Rooms comfy and clean and staff very helpful. Walking distance to a range of bars and restaurants. Concierge service good and quick check in. Lobby bar has been refurbished since previous trip.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 5, 2012

Newly renovated, with still an original charm. Staff was excellent, location was great, lobby bar was more than fine. Happy to return for our upcoming convention in Jan 2013. The bar district was walkable

Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Daryl J
Reviewed October 2, 2012 via mobile

Stood here one night to be close enough to the Power & Light district...(within 2-3 blocks walking- less than 5 mins)

The good- Location! Literally a walk to local eateries, night life ect. Very well maintained hotel with employees directing & asking of your needs upon getting inside. The room was an ok size- standard suite. I was told I had a view of the river which I looked forward to- instead had a view of a parking lot... @ least in the evening it was pretty to look at the buildings an lights--but not what I was told.

The "bad"- not bad. Just veryyyyy pricey. Our room was a very basic standard room- very basic- Didnt even have a mini fridge or a microwave. For all the $$ we spent it consisted of a bed(comfy) pillows, a sofa n desk. Shower with just two towels. Disappointed that I couldn't even have a cold bottle of water or soda in the room if I wanted to without having to pay 4$ at the vending machine down the hall- after paying a few hundred for the room. That was a big "turn down" for me.

Parking- is a mess! Upon getting to the entrance of the hotel, your "stuck" in a traffic line for a while--(waited about 25 mins) due to valet & the way the cars were parked. Valet is 18$- & is charged per day. Meaning... If you check in @ 7pm & step out for the night & come after midnight- you may get charged again-since it's the beginning of a new day. -.-
There is a parking lot in the hotel, that has enough slots for a local gas station. & it is so crowded- and no signs in the garage, was unsafe to drive in there,
So you have to either find parking behind the hotel or on the streets.$$ of course.

Didn't try the breakfast or room service as the prices were of A high end restaurant for such low end items.

Would I stay again?? The location was great to the Power & Light. But doesn't even out w the price. since I'm not a drinker- next time ill drive or take a cab downtown to save $$ & have a decent room with more amenities- such as a lil fridge.

• Stayed: September 2012

I am sorry that you were disappointed with your experience. We try to make our rates, services and amenities clear on our web site but we also recognize that attempts to be completely transparent can lead to information overload confusion. I do apologize for the parking inconvenience that occurred during a busy check-in period.

Reviewed September 27, 2012

Check in was quick and easy. Front Desk was a little hidden but staff was very friendly. Nice clean room on the 9th floor. My husband and I really enjoyed our stay. We had a nice quiet relaxing time. We also paid for my son and daughter in laws room and they loved it. Check out was a breeze. although you do have to watch your bill. We were charged for valet parking, when we did self park. The Hotel is convenient tot he Convention Center and Music Hall so if that is your destination, its a great place to stay.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

It is always a privilege to be involved in one of the most joyous times of a couple's life. We are glad you enjoyed the experience at your son's wedding and apologize for the billing error. Thank you for bringing it to our attention.

Reviewed September 27, 2012

Great service from the moment we checked in to the moment we left. Front desk attendant was extremely helpful, pleasant and courteous. They welcomed us to Missouri and gave us instructions and information for entertainment and dining. Our room was fantastic with a great view of downtown. We ordered room service and the meal was delicious and prepared perfectly. The room accommodations were comfortable and very clean, spacious and modern and newly decorated. This is a great hotel and very close and convenient to everything within walking distance. Definitely a must stay.

Room Tip: Request one with a view of the city. They are sunny in the morning and romantic in the evening.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

We are so glad you enjoyed your stay. Kansas City has a wonderful tradition of hospitality that our staff lives into.

Reviewed September 21, 2012

I stayed at the hotel for a conference and was housed in the conference wing of the hotel. The common areas were nicely decorated and while the room was a nice size, the furniture was a bit worn and it had the loudest bathroom fan that came on with the light. Much to my utter amazement, the room had only TWO electrical outlets; one of which was in the bathroom! And the room outlet was full with the desk lamp and coffee maker. So in order to use my computer and plug in my phone, I had to go without light and couldn't make coffee. There is a charge for internet usage and although I have a wifi gadget, I kept getting bumped off and switched back to the hotel internet. Adding insult to injury, there is no business center in the conference wing, and the center on the other side (across the walkway and then across the lobby which will seem miles away if you are rushing to print a document for a presentation) is operated by an outside vendor. A fact I learned when my credit card was charged $65 to access and print 10 pages (yes I had to swipe my credit card to get on the computer). The vendor did issue a credit for the overcharge caused by a system malfunction that would not allow me to terminate my session. Overall, it is by no means the worst hotel in the world, but given it is a convention center, I expected basic business traveler conveniences like outlets (I just returned from Indiana and the hotel not only had outlets on every lamp in the room, they had a 6 plug power cord on the desk!).
On the plus side, the food was good and room service was excellent!

Room Tip: Stay away from the convention side and try the Marriott side where everything, including the pool, i...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business