“worth it for the view!”

Ranked #19 of 108 Hotels in Kansas City
Kansas City, Missouri, United States
“worth it for the view!”
Reviewed April 30, 2012

The view of downtown Kansas City from the 18th floor was amazing! So worth checking out. My King Room was spacious

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (276)
Reviewed April 26, 2012 via mobile

I was coming to Kansas City for a conference that was being held at the Marriott D/T, so we had a pretty fair rate even though there were some cheaper rates nearby but for these conferences it sometimes better to stay in the conference hotel. When I checked in was told our room was in the Mulhebach Tower which was across the bridge, so trudged up the elevator, across the bridge and up to the room. Asked for higher floor but the trainee at the desk really couldn't figure it out, got a middle floor which was OK. Room was basic room with desk and corner chair, tried to get my computer set up and looked for outlets in desk or lights but there weren't any, had to pull lamp plug and put in the power cord I carry in computer bag. Room never really cooled down

Stayed April 2012
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed April 23, 2012

I spent the night of April 13, 2012 at the Downtown Marriott because I was in town for a conference. This is a nice place by all standards, and there is no reason not to feel comfortable here. This is the main thing I liked about being here-we were able to walk around downtown in that 24+ hour time without having to take our car out of the parking garage. However, you actually have to pay to park at the hotel. I'm not used to that. $13 to park yourself and $18 for valet.

The thing I didn't like was the inavailability of snacks and beverages by the ice machine. We started at the 2nd floor (I think) and went down, and did not find any beverages/snacks by the ice machines and went to the bar and got a small bottle of water for $1.50 (possible reason there were no machines?-inducement to trade at restaurant, bar?). We decided to see if we could find any beverages/snacks as we were told they were to be one or the other on every floor. We did find beverages (a much larger bottle of water for $1.75) on the 4th floor and at that point gave up our search.

Also, this hotel is in two separate buildings (actually according to Wiki there are three http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muehlebach_Hotel). We stayed in the Muehlebach building which I was in several times as a kid and remembered it's grandeur then. I wish I'd gone in and seen the original lobby. We, however, went in the main entrance and walked quite a distance across a skywalk. This is a nice place, just for the price, I'd expect free parking and accessibility to beverages, etc. In some ways, middle-class digs provide more for less.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank ponyexpresstown
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Reviewed April 23, 2012

great room, great service, wonderful for what we were there for (conference). we were in the second tower (across the pedway from the main lobby) and found it to be great access to the convention centre, and all the amenities we needed. close to the power and lights district (a few blocks) and the beautiful square across the street for enjoying the sunshine. Lilly's had good food as well as the lounge (although the service in the lounge was TERRIBLE, the service during the day at the restaurant was excellent.)

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Olathe, KS
Reviewed April 22, 2012

We stayed at this hotel while celebrating our anniversary a couple weeks ago.

We were greeted by very friendly and helpful staff and by our surprise, we were upgraded to a beautiful suite on the 20th floor! It was the such an amazing view of the city at night, and the room was HUGE and very clean! The General Manager personally assisted me with our reservation and was so sweet and kind.

You have the option to pay for valet parking, or you can self-park as well. It's only a couple blocks from Power & Light and the Sprint Center. It's so nice to be able to drop off your bags and go out for the night without ever needing to drive.

We have stayed at a few of the hotels downtown, and this was by far our best experience. The rooms were more spacious, extremely clean, and the staff was very professional. I will definitely be returning!

I would absolutely recommend this hotel for the business traveler, couples, and/or families. They seem to be very diverse and able to accommodate all guests.

Room Tip: The higher the room, the better. :)
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jessarnie
Omaha, USA
Reviewed April 20, 2012

The downtown Marriott is a conference hotel. It’s large, contains a number of meeting rooms, and is adjacent to the enormous KC Convention Center.

I stayed three nights for an academic conference held in the hotel, and the meeting facilities were fine.

This is actually two separate hotels: the main Marriott building and the Muhlebach Tower, which is across the street and connected via Skyway.

I’ll admit upfront that I am not a fan of the Marriott chain. I’ve always found them to be generic-looking, bland, and overpriced. Therefore, my opinion might be skewed.

That said, a few things were irksome. Internet access is now free at most bargain hotels, but it costs $10 per day here. (In addition, the signal was weak.) The blinds let in quite a bit of light, no matter how much they were adjusted. The clothes iron in my room seemed like it might have cost around $3 at Wal-Mart; it leaked water and got a stain on one shirt.

The downtown Marriott is a perfectly adequate place to stay for a conference, assuming your company is paying. It’s conveniently located and offers all of the usual amenities, and my limited interactions with staff were all fine.

If you are vacationing or paying your own bill, I would find somewhere else. There are several other options in the downtown area that might better fit your needs.

Room Tip: The views are probably nice from the higher floors, particularly at Christmas time. KC puts up milli...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Austin, Texas
Reviewed April 19, 2012

This hotel is undergoing a remodel. Normally that would be very disrupting. While here (for three days) I have not seen any of the workers or the "undergoing construction". The hotel is clean, the rooms nice and comfortable, and the area is very pleasing.

Room Tip: Choose one that looks at the downtown. The gym is on the 22nd floor - it is the best I have seen at...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business