“Just okay” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #21 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
Rochester, New York
“Just okay”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2012

I stayed at this hotel the last week of January 2012. I was underwhelmed by the lobby since they are in the process of renovations. The front desk staff not very friendly and our service in the restaurant was not very good. The sleeping rooms were nicely appointed and clean, the housekeeping staff did an excellent job.

• 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (275)
Saint Louis, Missouri
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2012

I stayed at the hotel on business for a week, then returned the next week again on business, so have spent a grand total of 2 weeks at the hotel and by the end of next month will spend another two weeks here.

The hotel and staff are very helpful from the concierge to the bell hops to the maid staff everyone was pleasant to deal with.

Bonnie in the concierge lounge {20th floor} was very nice to chat with in the evenings. The room, king, was large and fairly spacious {unlike some hotels, I did not have to leave the room to change my mind}

The only thing, if I had to find fault with the hotel, is that there are no safes in the rooms. I was on business and was carrying about $4K in laptop and other equipment. I carried my backpack when I was at Libbys or when I was at the lounge because there was no safe in the room.

However, with that said, the hotel and staff are great, and if you go across the street you can watch the light show they put on across the facade.

Beavercreek, Ohio
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2012

I stayed at this property in the older tower for a little less than a week on business. Maybe the newer tower is better, but the old tower was tired and in serious need of renovations. For a Marriott property in a convention area, this place needs to be updated. The furniture was all beat up and the tv stand wasn't changed when they went with flat panels. The desk was small, made even smaller by all the junk that was on the desk. Buy new tv stands, and all that can go with the tv - give me my workspace.Power outlets were scarce and difficult to access. Paint on the ceiling was cracked and chipping. I was afraid the bathroom countertop would fall off at any moment, the plumbing might have been holding it up.

On the bright side - internet connection was quite good, but that's about the only good thing at this property.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Goshen, Indiana, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2012

I stayed at this hotel in October 2011 and accidentally left my toiletry bag in the room. I immediately called and the front desk connected me to their security office. They assured me they would mail me by bag and I should receive it in the next few days. After several weeks I called the hotel and was told they sent it to the wrong address and it was returned to the hotel. They would resend. Again I waited and then called multiple times only to be assured over and over again that someone would get back to me. NO ONE HAS EVER CALLED ME. Finally in December I was told my bag had been delivered way back in October only to the wrong address and was never recovered. I am disappointed in the entire staff including the property manager's office who I also called and was promised a call back. I'm still waiting!!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Syracuse, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2012

Stayed at this hotel for an annual conference, and most definitely enjoyed my stay!! The beds are incredible, some of the best sleep I've had in I couldn't even tell you how long!! The staff were ALL extremely friendly, attentive and helpful. The only negative I could say is with regard to the restaurant, the service my day of arrival was hit and miss, buffet wan't the highest quality one would expect from a Marriott. The coffee shop on the lobby level is amazing, highly recommend!!

Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for 7 nights in January 2012. I had a room with 2 doubles on the 6th floor. The room was a very good size with lots of storage space and a huge closet. The room and bathroom were spotlessly clean. The bed was super comfortable.

I love the coffee maker, I have used one of these in another Marriott before and they are great. Shame there was only 2 coffee pods left per day but I'm sure they would have left more if I had asked!!

I had breakfast and dinner in the hotel most days. The dinner menu, while not extensive was good and I enjoyed anything I had. There was plenty of choice at breakfast and everything I tried was nice. Most of the waiting staff in the restaurant were friendly and attentive and a special shout out to Joe who was absolutely wonderful!!!! The staff at the front desk and guest services were all very helpful and welcoming.

I had planned on using the pool but I ended up being busy during the week and never got around to it. Shame.

I really enjoyed my stay here and hopefully my job will send me back to Kansas City and the Marriott in the not too distant future.

In my opinion, this hotel would score a 5, except for the following 3 things, they did not affect my enjoyment of the hotel but could have been better.

1. No safe in the rooms, I know there was safe deposit facilities at the front desk, however I would prefer a safe in the room where I could have easy access to my valuables

2. The water in the shower kept changing temperature. I would have it at a nice temp and it wouid suddenly get too hot, I would turn it down slightly and it would be fine for a while and then get too cold, so I would turn it up slightly and it would be fine for a while and then get to hot ........... etc etc etc

3. The picture on some of the TV channels were not so great, some worse than others - however the main ones were still watchable

Room Tip: Apparently there are great views from the higher floors so ask for one of them!
Kansas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2012

We stayed at this hotel on January 21, 2012. We accidentally made reservations at the Marriott on the Plaza and the two hotels worked together to get our reservation moved to this hotel that was booked on Rewards Points.

When we arrived, the driveway was packed with parked cars. My wife checked us in while the rest of us waited in the car. The front desk person did not ask her about parking and when we went to park at their parking garage under the hotel, there was a sign stating the garage was full. After driving around the block, I spoke with a Valet Parking guy who told me the garage was full and Valet parking only cost a couple bucks more. Later found out it was $5 more. I went back into the lobby and asked the desk person where we were supposed to park. She asked if we were self parking and told her we were. She told me to park in their garage. I told her the sign said it was full. She said they had some activities going on at the hotel, but most of the people were leaving.,She made a call, and after hanging up, said their garage was still full and I would have to park in a parking garage 1/2 block away and parking would be $13. Why would you not keep the parking for your overnight guests instead of people who are not staying? A question I didn't get an answer to from 3 different people.

Once checked in, we realized we had forgotten a comb. We called to see if they would have any and they advised they thought they did and someone would bring one up to our room. No one ever showed up or called. We checked at the front desk for a comb, the clerk acted like she didn't know what a comb was. After calling to see if they had a comb, they advised they didn't have any. We also asked for 3 more towels as we had 4 people in our room and there were only 2 towels. Again, the clerk looked at us like we had holes in our heads! But the towels were delivered very quickly to our door.

Don't know the cost of the room as we stayed on Marriott points. Room was clean, nice and comfortable. Very busy hotel, close to convention center.