“follow up is terrible!!”

Kansas City Marriott Downtown
Ranked #22 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
Goshen, Indiana, United States
“follow up is terrible!!”
Reviewed January 30, 2012

I stayed at this hotel in October 2011 and accidentally left my toiletry bag in the room. I immediately called and the front desk connected me to their security office. They assured me they would mail me by bag and I should receive it in the next few days. After several weeks I called the hotel and was told they sent it to the wrong address and it was returned to the hotel. They would resend. Again I waited and then called multiple times only to be assured over and over again that someone would get back to me. NO ONE HAS EVER CALLED ME. Finally in December I was told my bag had been delivered way back in October only to the wrong address and was never recovered. I am disappointed in the entire staff including the property manager's office who I also called and was promised a call back. I'm still waiting!!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (287)
Syracuse, New York
Reviewed January 30, 2012

Stayed at this hotel for an annual conference, and most definitely enjoyed my stay!! The beds are incredible, some of the best sleep I've had in I couldn't even tell you how long!! The staff were ALL extremely friendly, attentive and helpful. The only negative I could say is with regard to the restaurant, the service my day of arrival was hit and miss, buffet wan't the highest quality one would expect from a Marriott. The coffee shop on the lobby level is amazing, highly recommend!!

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed January 30, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for 7 nights in January 2012. I had a room with 2 doubles on the 6th floor. The room was a very good size with lots of storage space and a huge closet. The room and bathroom were spotlessly clean. The bed was super comfortable.

I love the coffee maker, I have used one of these in another Marriott before and they are great. Shame there was only 2 coffee pods left per day but I'm sure they would have left more if I had asked!!

I had breakfast and dinner in the hotel most days. The dinner menu, while not extensive was good and I enjoyed anything I had. There was plenty of choice at breakfast and everything I tried was nice. Most of the waiting staff in the restaurant were friendly and attentive and a special shout out to Joe who was absolutely wonderful!!!! The staff at the front desk and guest services were all very helpful and welcoming.

I had planned on using the pool but I ended up being busy during the week and never got around to it. Shame.

I really enjoyed my stay here and hopefully my job will send me back to Kansas City and the Marriott in the not too distant future.

In my opinion, this hotel would score a 5, except for the following 3 things, they did not affect my enjoyment of the hotel but could have been better.

1. No safe in the rooms, I know there was safe deposit facilities at the front desk, however I would prefer a safe in the room where I could have easy access to my valuables

2. The water in the shower kept changing temperature. I would have it at a nice temp and it wouid suddenly get too hot, I would turn it down slightly and it would be fine for a while and then get too cold, so I would turn it up slightly and it would be fine for a while and then get to hot ........... etc etc etc

3. The picture on some of the TV channels were not so great, some worse than others - however the main ones were still watchable

Room Tip: Apparently there are great views from the higher floors so ask for one of them!
Kansas
Reviewed January 22, 2012

We stayed at this hotel on January 21, 2012. We accidentally made reservations at the Marriott on the Plaza and the two hotels worked together to get our reservation moved to this hotel that was booked on Rewards Points.

When we arrived, the driveway was packed with parked cars. My wife checked us in while the rest of us waited in the car. The front desk person did not ask her about parking and when we went to park at their parking garage under the hotel, there was a sign stating the garage was full. After driving around the block, I spoke with a Valet Parking guy who told me the garage was full and Valet parking only cost a couple bucks more. Later found out it was $5 more. I went back into the lobby and asked the desk person where we were supposed to park. She asked if we were self parking and told her we were. She told me to park in their garage. I told her the sign said it was full. She said they had some activities going on at the hotel, but most of the people were leaving.,She made a call, and after hanging up, said their garage was still full and I would have to park in a parking garage 1/2 block away and parking would be $13. Why would you not keep the parking for your overnight guests instead of people who are not staying? A question I didn't get an answer to from 3 different people.

Once checked in, we realized we had forgotten a comb. We called to see if they would have any and they advised they thought they did and someone would bring one up to our room. No one ever showed up or called. We checked at the front desk for a comb, the clerk acted like she didn't know what a comb was. After calling to see if they had a comb, they advised they didn't have any. We also asked for 3 more towels as we had 4 people in our room and there were only 2 towels. Again, the clerk looked at us like we had holes in our heads! But the towels were delivered very quickly to our door.

Don't know the cost of the room as we stayed on Marriott points. Room was clean, nice and comfortable. Very busy hotel, close to convention center.

Allen, Texas
Reviewed January 21, 2012

I have stayed at the Kansas city Marriott downtown twice and each time I have stayed there the rooms are exceptionally clean, modern and well kepted. The food is about average although and not much to talk about. The people at the desk are friendly and very helpful in directions and finding resturants, stores etc. I would stay here again.

• Stayed January 2012
Cynthia S, Director of Marketing at Kansas City Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, February 20, 2012
Dear Camarynok1;
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments about your stay. Each guest and their feedback is extremely important to us. I was glad to hear your room was comfortable. We hope that you will give the restaurant another try when you return as we ould like the chance to exceed your expectations there as well.
Cynthia Savage
Director of Marketing
Saint Peters, Missouri
Reviewed January 18, 2012

Our car was broken into during our overnight stay in the Hotel's secured Parking Garage. The parking garage has a security booth, cameras and police officers patrolling the garage during night shift. Our vehicle along with at least 3 others had windows busted out and items stolen from the vehicles. The hotel security was useless. We were encouraged NOT to make a police report from hotel security, when asked about the hotel's policy, we were given a name and a phone number and told to call the person the next day. After contacting the head of security David Tait, we were offered NO apology, NO compensation for parking, NO compensation for our stay. His comment "not our problem, not our responsibility we have signs posted." We have left a message for the hotel manager and have not received a call back yet. We have also reached out to corporate with no call back either.

3 Thank Pam B
Findlay, Ohio
Reviewed January 17, 2012

these folks generally have their act together – – I've been there for five times for various business meetings. Meeting rooms are generally well-equipped and the staff is certainly willing to find anything you may need no matter how unusual. The food is generally good to better than that and the attitude almost always excellent.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Kahuna2030
Dear Kahuna2030:
Thank you for choosing the Kansas City Marriott Downtown when you are in Kansas City on business. Our staff is trained to give the best possible customer service and we are very glad that this is the experience you had with us. We look forward to seeing you when your travels bring you back to Kansas City.
Cynthia Savage