“Very Pleasant Stay”

Kansas City Marriott Downtown
Ranked #21 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
Reviewed November 14, 2007

My husband and I stayed here for two nights while he was in Kansas City for business. His employers booked the room for him and it was a standard room. I was pleasantly surprised at the lovely lobby, efficient customer service, room service and the very nice downtown view from our room. All of the hallways and common areas were lovely and well maintained. There was an overall feel of luxury. Our room was beautifully decorated and very comfortable - very clean and well maintained. It had a large couch and chair with ottoman, very large and well lit desk and work area, large closet, and nice bathroom. Overall I was very pleased with the hotel. It was conveniently located
to many restaurants and jazz clubs in a safe area for late night walking back to the hotel. I had a very relaxing weekend and would have enjoyed staying longer!

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Kansas City Marriott Downtown

Reviewed November 8, 2007

We stayed at this property during a recent trade show. The hotel seemed extremely understaffed for the number of guests staying at the property.

We were given a room in the Muehlbach Tower which was a far walk from the main tower and less desireable. The rooms were old and not renovated like the main tower. The main tower rooms are clean and recently updated. Definitely request a room in the main tower. Most of the rooms have lovely views of the city skyline.

Two employees stood out during our stay. The General Manager Tim and one of the bellman.

The room service food was great and the hotel restaurant and bar were also good.

This property would be exceptional with additional staff, a higher level of customer service and friendlier concierge and front desk staff.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled on business
Reviewed October 31, 2007

I stayed at this Marriott while exhibiting at a conference and had no problems. The hotel appeared to be undergoing some renovations and I had a room on an upper floor. It appeared to have been remodeled and I had not problems with it.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled on business
Reviewed October 17, 2007

We were so nicely surprised by the Marriott Downtown. It is the Marriott next to Bartle Hall, Lyric Theatre, Municipal Auditorium, Folly Theatre and near the new Sprint Center. What a lovely hotel. Our south-facing room on the 19th floor was clean, bright, tastefully decorated and comfortable. We had a beautiful nighttime view of the city. The bed was very comfortable. We ate one meal at Lilly's, I would consider to be average, as was the service. However, I must say, the buffet dinner for our conference was one of the best hotel buffets we'd every had. They actually served food people would eat. The prime rib was delicious, and cut in a generous portion, unlike many hotels where it is shaved in a thin manner. There was a nice array of vegetables, salad, desserts. I was impress, and I am seldom impressed with banquet meals or buffets. Kudos to the chef. My only complaint for the entire stay was I lost $2 in the crazy vending machine on my floor. I didn't bother to complain, just went the next floor and b ought my nighttime junk food.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled on business
2  Thank Khawnee
Reviewed October 13, 2007

Spent a very comfortable 4 nights here while attending a conference. My king sized bed room was clean, fresh, & beautifully updated with luxurious pillows, bed linens, bed, & aesthetically appealing amenities from Bath & Body Works. My room in the main tower was quiet even though the hotel was full due to our conference, NFL football weekend, wedding & other events in the hotel. Checkin was no hassle & efficient despite the large number of arriving guests. Front desk staff professional & courteous. Concierge staff helpful for recommending restaurants & other useful information. Housekeeping staff exceptional-professional, each one greeted me nicely each time I was coming & going. And I didn't have to ask for anything-my room was as I expected it to be each day.
Had breakfast & lunch in Lilly's a couple times-very good menu choices & reasonable prices considering this is a convention hotel. Restaurant staff also courteous & pleasant. My only complaint is that I requested a late checkout & was denied because too many other guests had already requested. Only other issue was spotty wireless internet connection; I was charged ony for the day I actually was able to use it. I would stay here again!

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled on business
Reviewed September 30, 2007

My new husband and I reserved a room at the Downtown Marriott in Kansas City for our wedding night, thinking it would be classier than most and still yet somewhat affordable. We opted for the "Romance Package," which included champagne upon arrival and breakfast for two the next morning. At the time of reservation, we notified the hotel we would be arriving late, and I called to double check that with the hotel on the day of our wedding. They had us down and were expecting us at 11:30pm. We arrived at 11:20pm, and checked in. When we checked in, we asked the man at the front desk to make sure that our champagne would be waiting for us, and he told us that it was too late for him to do anything about it, but we could call food services ourselves. We called food services, and there was terrible confusion over our reservation, and they told us they were closed, which didn't make much sense to us, but someone was still there who could bring us our champagne. So, the champagne arrived almost two hours later, and we were both asleep, so that was a giant waste of money. The next day we found out we needed to have coupons for breakfast and we should have picked those up the day before. No one had told us this during any of our conversations with the hotel. They ended up bringing us breakfast, though, there was just a bunch of confusion surrounding that, as well. We were in the second 'tower' of the hotel, so I'm guessing that it had not been included in the renovations at the hotel. The bed was very nice and comfortable, but the rest of the room was not up to date. The bathroom was fairly dingy, but once we figured out how to rig the shower head, we did have decent water pressure. The majority of the staff we dealt with were fairly unfriendly, with the exception of the food delivery staff and the cleaning staff, who we ran in to on the way out of the building. Anyhow, if we had to do it all over again, I would not have chosen this hotel, nor would I recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank goobywife
Reviewed September 19, 2007

This hotel has customer service and staff training issues.

In a four-night stay, we encountered:

A shower that didn't drain and that required two calls to the front desk before it was fixed. (That's not counting the call where the phone rang and rang without anyone ever picking up.)

In-room phones that stopped working. We called once (from a cell phone) to have them fixed, but no one ever came. We gave up.

Requests for extra towels not fulfilled.

Slapdash housekeeping -- dirty glasses left on tables, room service door-hangers for breakfast not replaced, that sort of thing. Also, housekeeping should have noticed while cleaning that the shower wasn't draining and reported it.

Long lines to get into the self-park garage. The curbs along the hotel drive were filled with parked cars, which meant that cabs and cars loading and unloading stopped in the middle of the drive, blocking access to the garage.

Spotty wireless Internet service, despite the $9.95 per day charge. (If you have a T-mobile account, save your $9.95 and walk 3 blocks up the street to Starbucks.) A call for help with the wireless resulted in 2 transfers, a long time on hold, and then an invitation to leave a voicemail. We declined.

The hotel was full up when we visited, and a glitch or two wouldn't have been a surprise. What was shocking was the total indifference of the staff when problems were reported. "I'm sorry about that problem, Mr. X, we'll get right on that." Isn't that Customer Service 101? You don't even have to MEAN it, for heaven's sake. Just say it!

Two positives:

The decor in the redone rooms is nice.

Michael at the bell desk had good restaurant suggestions. He, at least, seems to understand that he works in the hospitality industry.

• Stayed: September 2007