“No Problems”

Kansas City Marriott Downtown
Ranked #17 of 111 Hotels in Kansas City
Reviewed October 31, 2007

I stayed at this Marriott while exhibiting at a conference and had no problems. The hotel appeared to be undergoing some renovations and I had a room on an upper floor. It appeared to have been remodeled and I had not problems with it.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Write a ReviewReviews (1,208)

Reviewed October 17, 2007

We were so nicely surprised by the Marriott Downtown. It is the Marriott next to Bartle Hall, Lyric Theatre, Municipal Auditorium, Folly Theatre and near the new Sprint Center. What a lovely hotel. Our south-facing room on the 19th floor was clean, bright, tastefully decorated and comfortable. We had a beautiful nighttime view of the city. The bed was very comfortable. We ate one meal at Lilly's, I would consider to be average, as was the service. However, I must say, the buffet dinner for our conference was one of the best hotel buffets we'd every had. They actually served food people would eat. The prime rib was delicious, and cut in a generous portion, unlike many hotels where it is shaved in a thin manner. There was a nice array of vegetables, salad, desserts. I was impress, and I am seldom impressed with banquet meals or buffets. Kudos to the chef. My only complaint for the entire stay was I lost $2 in the crazy vending machine on my floor. I didn't bother to complain, just went the next floor and b ought my nighttime junk food.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled on business
2  Thank Khawnee
Reviewed October 13, 2007

Spent a very comfortable 4 nights here while attending a conference. My king sized bed room was clean, fresh, & beautifully updated with luxurious pillows, bed linens, bed, & aesthetically appealing amenities from Bath & Body Works. My room in the main tower was quiet even though the hotel was full due to our conference, NFL football weekend, wedding & other events in the hotel. Checkin was no hassle & efficient despite the large number of arriving guests. Front desk staff professional & courteous. Concierge staff helpful for recommending restaurants & other useful information. Housekeeping staff exceptional-professional, each one greeted me nicely each time I was coming & going. And I didn't have to ask for anything-my room was as I expected it to be each day.
Had breakfast & lunch in Lilly's a couple times-very good menu choices & reasonable prices considering this is a convention hotel. Restaurant staff also courteous & pleasant. My only complaint is that I requested a late checkout & was denied because too many other guests had already requested. Only other issue was spotty wireless internet connection; I was charged ony for the day I actually was able to use it. I would stay here again!

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled on business
Reviewed September 30, 2007

My new husband and I reserved a room at the Downtown Marriott in Kansas City for our wedding night, thinking it would be classier than most and still yet somewhat affordable. We opted for the "Romance Package," which included champagne upon arrival and breakfast for two the next morning. At the time of reservation, we notified the hotel we would be arriving late, and I called to double check that with the hotel on the day of our wedding. They had us down and were expecting us at 11:30pm. We arrived at 11:20pm, and checked in. When we checked in, we asked the man at the front desk to make sure that our champagne would be waiting for us, and he told us that it was too late for him to do anything about it, but we could call food services ourselves. We called food services, and there was terrible confusion over our reservation, and they told us they were closed, which didn't make much sense to us, but someone was still there who could bring us our champagne. So, the champagne arrived almost two hours later, and we were both asleep, so that was a giant waste of money. The next day we found out we needed to have coupons for breakfast and we should have picked those up the day before. No one had told us this during any of our conversations with the hotel. They ended up bringing us breakfast, though, there was just a bunch of confusion surrounding that, as well. We were in the second 'tower' of the hotel, so I'm guessing that it had not been included in the renovations at the hotel. The bed was very nice and comfortable, but the rest of the room was not up to date. The bathroom was fairly dingy, but once we figured out how to rig the shower head, we did have decent water pressure. The majority of the staff we dealt with were fairly unfriendly, with the exception of the food delivery staff and the cleaning staff, who we ran in to on the way out of the building. Anyhow, if we had to do it all over again, I would not have chosen this hotel, nor would I recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank goobywife
Reviewed September 19, 2007

This hotel has customer service and staff training issues.

In a four-night stay, we encountered:

A shower that didn't drain and that required two calls to the front desk before it was fixed. (That's not counting the call where the phone rang and rang without anyone ever picking up.)

In-room phones that stopped working. We called once (from a cell phone) to have them fixed, but no one ever came. We gave up.

Requests for extra towels not fulfilled.

Slapdash housekeeping -- dirty glasses left on tables, room service door-hangers for breakfast not replaced, that sort of thing. Also, housekeeping should have noticed while cleaning that the shower wasn't draining and reported it.

Long lines to get into the self-park garage. The curbs along the hotel drive were filled with parked cars, which meant that cabs and cars loading and unloading stopped in the middle of the drive, blocking access to the garage.

Spotty wireless Internet service, despite the $9.95 per day charge. (If you have a T-mobile account, save your $9.95 and walk 3 blocks up the street to Starbucks.) A call for help with the wireless resulted in 2 transfers, a long time on hold, and then an invitation to leave a voicemail. We declined.

The hotel was full up when we visited, and a glitch or two wouldn't have been a surprise. What was shocking was the total indifference of the staff when problems were reported. "I'm sorry about that problem, Mr. X, we'll get right on that." Isn't that Customer Service 101? You don't even have to MEAN it, for heaven's sake. Just say it!

Two positives:

The decor in the redone rooms is nice.

Michael at the bell desk had good restaurant suggestions. He, at least, seems to understand that he works in the hospitality industry.

• Stayed: September 2007
1  Thank sks028
Reviewed August 5, 2007

We came to Kansas City, MO for a conference at the convention center. Our first experience at the Marriott was a rather rude parking valet. The front desk was understaffed and there were many people trying to check in for the conference. I had called ahead several days prior for a single queen or king bed room, however we found our room to have two double beds. We were put in the Muehlenbach tower. We had a corner room, which was a good size, but the carpet was very worn and dirty. Our bathroom sink constantly made gurgling noises. The bedding was pretty nice. The cleaning service did not come around until about 3 or so in afternoon. Be forewarned that the hotel charges $12 a day for parking and that the wireless internet is also pricey. The worst part of our experience was dining at Lilly's restaraunt in the main tower. The first day we ordered off the menu and the waitress came back later and told us we should get it ourselves from the buffett. The food at the buffett was cold by that point. We decided to give it a second try the next day and it was even worse this time. The waiter who served us first had a grill (like the hip hop musicians have) in his mouth and this meant he had a hard time speaking. After this we had to wait 10 minutes just to get someone to take our order and the restaraunt was certainly not busy at that point and it was 10 am. While we were eating the staff started vacuuming around us. We quickly finished and left. We did not raise a fuss and acted quite politely through all of this.
Due to errors in booking we had to leave a day early, but for this we were actually relieved. We would recommend staying in another hotel and certainly do not eat at the hotel. We had very pleasant dining experiences down at country club plaza.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled on business
Reviewed May 16, 2007

We were in town for a dance competition. The Convention Center is right across the street from the hotel. The lobby is beautiful and the front desk staff was quick and courteous. There was a huge line at check in, so probably not alot of time for friendly chit chat. We were asked by every hotel employee we passed if we needed help with bags or parking or finding something. Our room was awesome!! We had a view of the park across the street and the Convention Center and fireworks later that evening! The bathroom is gorgeous, but needs a vent fan! That is really the only thing negative I can say about the room. It was very comfortable and clean! The beds are too die for!! All the other parents in our group couldnt say enough about the beds and bedding. It was the best nights sleep I have ever had in a hotel!!! We had dinner in the casual resturant and the wait staff was almost too friendly. From what we saw of the hotel, restuarant and pool - everything was very clean, no foul smells, and nice, friendly staff. We will definately stay at this hotel again - we actually can't wait for next year's competition!!!

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled on business