“Coco Key Nice hotel Stay, Decent Indoor Water Park”

CoCo Key Water Resort
Ranked #62 of 159 things to do in Kansas City
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Gather your friends and family and splash into CoCo Key! At CoCo Key Water Resort, you'll discover a wide range of attractions and activities to complete your water resort experience. See website for hours and pricing.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Food available for purchase, Activities for young children, Activities for older children, Lockers / storage
Reviewed April 26, 2013

For the money Coco Keys water park and hotel is more bang for your buck compared to Great Wolf Lodge. The accommodations are better maintained and luxurious compared to Great Wolf Lodge. The water park was entertaining for all ages. Overall our experience was fantastic!

RyanG601, Manager at CoCo Key Water Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 28, 2013

Thank you for your review! We are pleased to hear that your experience was fantastic! We are also happy to offer reasonably priced day passes year round. Hope to see you soon at the slides!

Reviewed April 22, 2013

I just stayed at CoCo Key KC this last weekend and frankly it was terrible in almost every way. I just want to tell someone. I am not someone who rights reviews all the time and am very optimistic when it comes to customer service. I really don't have time to write reviews but this last weekend's stay drove me to a much needed review. We were booked for 2 nights. We NEVER EVER saw a manger in the whole entire place and time we were there. This place needs an Undercover Boss or Hotel Rescue show come and help or at least some mystery shoppers. It seems like someone just took the cheap and easy route and attached a water park to a dumpy hotel and claimed it as new.

Hotel: We checked in and the front desk looked board out of their minds. There were no carts to help unload luggage or an employee helping. So I asked the front desk and they referred me to a "janitor" type closet and said there might be some in there. They did not offer to help and I felt weird being in this closet on my own. There were no CoCo Key brochures of any kind outlining the activities or water park features. The elevators were too small, to slow and one was broken out of the 3 for 15 floors. Our room a/c was broken. There was a random hair dryer on the counter in the bathroom. ??

Kids Membership: We had to ask someone to open up the Kid’s Membership place because there was no one in there after the opening time of 8am. The hours were not even posted on the Kid’s Membership door.

Water Park front desk and Arcade: Some of the staff was not in uniform and there was different color hair, crazy piercings and jewelry. There was only one person working the front desk of the water park so there was always a very long line. There was another person back there, but she had no uniform on. I found out later she is just in charge of the arcade ticket recharge card feature. So, I want to buy an arcade card. The sign states 20$ and get a free card. The employee informed me that was an outdated sign and there was no free card. The arcade room was NEVER attended to by staff members so if a machine didn't put out tickets or take the card swipe, who do you tell? A good percentage of the machines were broken. On the arcade card swiper it doesn't state which way to put the card in so everyone was wondering why their cards were not working. Again who would help you with this? The one person at the front desk around the corner? Also on the card swiper for the arcade games it states: Example: Price chips 6, VIP chips 5.4. I asked the front desk what this meant and they had no idea. We then went to cash in our tickets and the man behind the county was very rude, things were mismarked and what my son thought was 200 tickets, he said was 1000 from the little tag on the item. Also most of the items were either mismarked or not marked at all. Then I asked the employee for an item and he stated he could only help one person at a time and the girl before us had not decided what she wanted yet.

Water Park: First of all there was no clock in the entire water park. Why not have a huge one on the wall for everyone to plan their day by? The lifeguards didn't even have watches. Then we wanted to Tye Dye, and there was no one at the Tye Dye station. The employee holding the door for people to enter the water park said she would do it. The employee attending to the slide did not want to be there and it seemed there was no method to the timing of people going down the slide. We ordered food at the Gator’s Grab N Go and they had no To Go boxes. They had them upstairs in the Casey’s restaurant but not in the Grab N Go. Lastly the hours of the water park and arcade are stupid, 10-9? What does everyone do waiting for it to open?

The Market Place: This place barely sold anything for having so much square footage and no one knew the hours of operation.

Dining restaurant Casey’s/ bar: This was the only thing that was great! The staff here was excellent. They were attentive, very nice and very knowledgeable, talked to my children in a way that I could sense they actually liked children and changed the TVs for them. This was our only good experience in the whole weekend. The food was timely and good.

Staff (outside of dining): They all seemed to hate their jobs and really not like children. Again we never saw a manager.

DO NOT STAY HERE. Save your money for Great Wolf Lodge.

2  Thank Bre B

Thank you for your review! We are happy to hear that your service was excellent in our Casey’s restaurant and that the food was timely and good! I apologize that you encountered troubles while at our resort. I have shared your comments with our hotel manager to ensure they are addressed. I have also shared your comments with our arcade and water park managers to ensure all your areas of concern are reviewed. Thank you for taking time to give us your feedback!

Reviewed April 21, 2013

fun, but super crowded! Try to go during the week. Also, the arcade was a lot of fun and the people working were really sweet to my 5 year old son. I think I would go back just for the arcade.

1  Thank CareyCarey

Thank you for your review! You are correct that Saturday is our peak time for visitors in the hotel and water park. Guests wanting to avoid larger crowds can visit on Sundays or weekdays during our summer hours. Also, there are typically less guests in the morning if you are looking for even more room while you are swimming. We are happy to hear that you and your family had fun during your visit to our water park and that our arcade team was able to add to your experience. We hope to see you again soon at the slides!

Reviewed April 18, 2013

We're looking to plan a trip to Coco Keys. We live in Lincoln so Omaha would be closest but if the resort in Kansas is bigger/better we wouldn't mind going there ( we'd also like to stop by the T-Rex cafe anyway). If anyone has been to both or if management could comment, that would be great! Thanks so much!

While we are not affiliated with the CoCo Key in Omaha, we can say that they too offer a Great arcade and Fun water park in addition to their hotel. If you are looking at the Kansas City area then CoCo Key KC has lots to offer. Sitting adjacent to Arrowhead Stadium and Kauffman Stadium CoCo Key KC is perfect for adding to the enjoyment of a Chiefs game or Royals game. We are also only minutes from The Kansas City Zoo and Worlds of Fun amusement park. If you are looking for shopping then we suggest the Independence Center Shopping Mall, Crown Center or the Country Club Plaza. Plus, the barbeque alone is worth the trip to Kansas City! With either decision, we hope you and your family have a great time together on the slides!

Reviewed April 11, 2013

Well first off it was March, freezing and spring break! so everybody wanted to be at the only indoor water resort that's open to the public (meaning you didn't have to be a hotel guest to swim there) The cost is normally $10 (go to visitkc.com they generally have 2 for 1) but because of spring break it went to $25 yikes! i'm not a fan of price gouging:( . I would not reccomend going on holiday etc. It was crazy packed. We had 4 adults and 6 kids from 3yrs-15yrs. The parking was a nightmare as mentioned so be prepared to have quite a hike. You might want to drop the kids off at the door. The pool area was clean.I was able to get 4 lockers so that was not a problem. I think it was $4 for a small $6 for a large. Just a side note when I was done with the lockers I gave them away and just gave them the code (my good deed for the day:) ) Other reviewers have commented on the lack of ventilation. It does need work. I'm sure it's better in the summer because they can open the adjoining outside area but for winter the cholrine is trapped in the air so it's tough on the eyes. we had one table that sat 4 that was luck. I saw drink cups etc. but noone coming to drink them so the table was available they just didn't have the staff to babysit who was coming and going. We ordered pizza it was $14 for a large, which under the circumstances was reasonable. It wasn't that great for my taste but the kids ate it up. They had vip rooms with a tv in it available I believe for an extra $50 I think it would have been worth it if you plan on spending the day there which you should for the money:). As expected the 3-6yr olds couldn't get enough but the teenagers were done after a couple times down the slide (the lines were very long) so they spent most the time spending money in the arcade which they could've done without spending money on a waterpark pass. They did have a good area for the younger ones. one the size of a baby pool with slides. I wasn't too impressed with the life guards the LG to kid ratio was out of control,the kids owned that place so keep a good eye on your kids because they most likely won't. the other area where the big bucket is for the roughly 4-10 was also good it actually was gated with only one way in/out so it was easier to keep an eye out. Be careful though I let the 3 1/2 year olds in there and the bucket came down and they went flying...I know funny but not funny:) The hot tub that was suppose to be for the adults , was not for the adults and was luke warm at best. Overall I think the kids had a blast and would give it 5 stars but as a parent who didn't get to sit sown for 5 hours (and that's not why it gets a 3 my comments speak for themselves) I needed a break from the break:) Hope this helps, Remember to smile, life's too short:)

Thank you for your review! We are happy to hear your kids had a blast! I will share your comments with the water park managers to review with our water park team. Thank you for taking time to give us your review and we hope to see you again soon!