“Enjoyed for a second time”

American Jazz Museum
Ranked #38 of 159 things to do in Kansas City
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Located in the Historic 18th & Vine Jazz District in Kansas City, MO, the American Jazz Museum showcases the sights and sounds of jazz through interactive exhibits and films, the Changing Gallery exhibit space, Horace M. Peterson III Visitors Center, Blue Room jazz club and Gem Theater. Since its inception in 1997, the Museum hosts thousands of students, scholars, musicians and fans of the arts for over 200 performances, education programs, special exhibitions, community events and more each year, providing an opportunity to learn about the legends, honor their legacy, or simply enjoy the sounds of modern day jazz.
Reviewed June 4, 2013

My second time and I enjoyed again, but several of the displays need to be repaired, so that they are working and have working headsets for visitors. For the most part they still work, but some were not and that can be improved. Otherwise the music and atmosphere is great. I learned more and enjoyed the unique styles of jazz from the different singers/composers. I showed my mom the cool wall in the Blue Room where last time I heard my first live Jazz experience. Too cool! I think there has been an addition since 2010, but I missed it this time too. The combo ticket is the way to go with the Negro league baseball museum truly a plus.

Reviewed June 1, 2013

Went to the museum because of the combo ticket deal with the Negro League museum. It was interactive letting you listen to how jazz is composed and even allowed you to mix some music. It had a good historical information on jazz musicians like Louis Armstrong and Duke Ellington. Spent less than an hour moving through. If you are already in the area for another reason or seeing the Negro League museum, then this would be worth a visit.

Reviewed May 27, 2013

See it with the combo ticket of the Negro Leagues Museum. A nice little museum that has a lot of recordings you can listen to. If you like jazz, give this museum a shot. Good historical info on jazz.

Reviewed April 22, 2013

I don't really like jazz music so I'm not the most qualified to rate a museum, however it is located in the same building as the baseball museum so we bought combo tickets.

I will stay that I learned a lot about jazz from the interactive exhibits, and that in itself was worth the price of admission. If you go, regardless of whether or not you're a fan of jazz, take time to put on headphones and play with the interactive exhibits, especially the ones where you get to make your own composition. It's easy and will increase your appreciation and enjoyment of jazz immensely!

One negative is that many of the interactive headsets were not functioning. That was disappointing to us and to other patrons.

Reviewed April 22, 2013

In April 2013 I took a road trip to KC with my sister for the BBQ & Jazz. Our father was a jazz musician & played piano. Naturally we grew up listening to him play his jazz music or having a jam session/practice at our house (didn't have those portable electronic pianos back then). So the Jazz Museum in the 18th & Vine area was a must see attraction for us. We went there at 10AM fully expecting to get through it in time for our 12:30 tour at Boulevard Brewing Co. We didn't realize that it's housed along with the American Negro Baseball Museum. So for $15 we each bought tickets to both museums from the ladies in the gift shop area. Then we were escorted to the museum entrance by a very friendly gentleman who gave us the scoop on how to tour the museum. We spent easily an hour & a half in the Jazz museum. The info & displays are excellent. Our only disappointment was that many of the listening stations were not working properly. We then went into the baseball museum but soon learned that we did not have enough time left to see everything there. As we exited that museum, our kindly gentleman informed us that our tickets were good for the rest of the month & that we could come back anytime & finish that tour. We would have never noticed that info on the ticket stubs. So we saved that for the next day. All in all it was a very enjoyable experience.

1  Thank Maralyn T