“Fun place to stop!”

Hallmark Visitors Center
Ranked #22 of 152 things to do in Kansas City
More attraction details
Owner description: See everything behind the world's most popular greeting card at the company's factory headquarters.
Rockford, Illinois
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fun place to stop!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2013

The visitors center is a nice stop if you are in Kansas city. It is a self walk through exhibit, you can take your time to look & listen to everything, or just walk through and take a look. I spent probably 45 minutes there. There is the history of Hallmark, lots of cards & merchandise from way back when. I enjoyed seeing cards from when I was a child, and to see how the styles and artwork has changed over the years. There are designer Christmas Trees made by employees, Some ornament collections, and props from various Hallmark Movies. And so much more. The ladies at the front desk were very nice and at the end of the visit, I was given a Hallmark recordable storybook. The only fault with this area, is driving downtown and finding your way around in this area.

Visited December 2012

Killeen, Texas
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“Out of the way, but an interesting, free place to check out..”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2012

We were at Kaleidoscope next door and found this by mistake....not sure what it was at first, but the ladies at the desk were sweet and gave us a pamphlet and told us where to start...ha!

This is a walk through exhibit of Hallmark products and history throughout the years. Sounds kind of boring in itself to "hear", but to actually "look around" and see what they had to offer was fun. There were all kinds of ornaments, cards, decorated trees, a bow making machine, a person printing actual greeting cards, etc to see. You can even make your own electronic greeting card that adds a hat (near the end of the tour).

Depending on how much you want to read and how many of the videos you want to watch, allow between 20-60 minutes to stroll through. We really enjoyed a video stream on how crayons, markers and silly putty are made. Oh, and I guess we were there on a lucky day as our child received a free Hallmark recordable storybook!!

Visited November 2012
1 Thank DownhereinTX
Ft. Worth, TX
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“AAA Does Not Do It Justice”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2012

I have lots of memories of visiting "The Card Shop" with my mom, so when my husband planned a visit to the Hallmark Museum / Visitors Center on our trip to the mid-west, I was relishing my trip down memory lane. I was not disappointed!

The Museum truly has something for everyone: the historian can appreciate the "through the years" exhibits -- highlights of the decades with headlines and front covers from the journals of the day; kids will love all the hands-on exhibits and activities (including a mechanical bow-making machine, which fascinated us "big kids"); the sentimental will enjoy the Hallmak commercials exhibits (bring Kleenex!); the chroniclers will love the opportunity to pose for a picture while "crowned" and have it sent to her email address; those who prefer audio-visual to print will enjoy the theater presentation; although the press operator was not there the day we toured, those interested in manufacturing will enjoy watching actual cards being made; and everyone should love the generosity of the Hallmark personnel -- they are helpful, kind, and seem to have an endless supply of gifts! Wow! Aside from the bows we made and the postcards that we were encouraged to take, we received two nice packages upon leaving. I am guessing that the gifts change during the year, but my gifts were first-class and useful -- a very generous offering!

I think if you want to amble through and enjoy the exhibits without carefully reading the background stories behind them, an hour is plenty of time to allow. We read lots and spent a good deal of time at each exhibit, so we spent between 2-3 hours. My husband, the non-card person, declared at the end of our tour, "The AAA does not do this museum justice!" Stop by; you'll love it!

Visited November 2012
1 Thank Linda E
Oakhurst, California
35 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 47 helpful votes
“Great Story”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2012

The museum tells the story of Joyce Hall, the founder of Hallmark. There are interactive details of how cards are created and of course the ornaments through the years. We especially enjoyed the gallery of one of a kind Christmas trees designed by the employees and given to Mr. Hall. The center is located in the middle of a huge shopping center so you can also see Hall department store. Worth checking out.

Visited October 2012
Virginia Beach, Virginia
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“A different view of corporate America”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

My husband and I spent about an hour at the Hallmark Visitor's Center while in Kansas City. It is not flashy or noisy. It is a thoughtful reminder of Hallmark products throughout the years. I admit that I am a sap--and have been known to cry at Hallmark commercials, but I did love the retrospective of their products--from the earliest post-cards to their movies. Maybe it was just a "snow job" but this company seems to value their employees (ARTISTS!). This is such a difference with the way corporate America generally works. It gave me hope.
I wish Hallmark "the very best." And, I think that this is a wonderfully relaxing way to spend some KC time!

Visited October 2012