“AAA Does Not Do It Justice”

Hallmark Visitors Center
Ranked #28 of 164 things to do in Kansas City
More attraction details
Owner description: See everything behind the world's most popular greeting card at the company's factory headquarters.
Reviewed November 24, 2012

I have lots of memories of visiting "The Card Shop" with my mom, so when my husband planned a visit to the Hallmark Museum / Visitors Center on our trip to the mid-west, I was relishing my trip down memory lane. I was not disappointed!

The Museum truly has something for everyone: the historian can appreciate the "through the years" exhibits -- highlights of the decades with headlines and front covers from the journals of the day; kids will love all the hands-on exhibits and activities (including a mechanical bow-making machine, which fascinated us "big kids"); the sentimental will enjoy the Hallmak commercials exhibits (bring Kleenex!); the chroniclers will love the opportunity to pose for a picture while "crowned" and have it sent to her email address; those who prefer audio-visual to print will enjoy the theater presentation; although the press operator was not there the day we toured, those interested in manufacturing will enjoy watching actual cards being made; and everyone should love the generosity of the Hallmark personnel -- they are helpful, kind, and seem to have an endless supply of gifts! Wow! Aside from the bows we made and the postcards that we were encouraged to take, we received two nice packages upon leaving. I am guessing that the gifts change during the year, but my gifts were first-class and useful -- a very generous offering!

I think if you want to amble through and enjoy the exhibits without carefully reading the background stories behind them, an hour is plenty of time to allow. We read lots and spent a good deal of time at each exhibit, so we spent between 2-3 hours. My husband, the non-card person, declared at the end of our tour, "The AAA does not do this museum justice!" Stop by; you'll love it!

1  Thank Linda E
"wonderful history"
"hall of fame"
in 13 reviews

Reviewed November 9, 2012

The museum tells the story of Joyce Hall, the founder of Hallmark. There are interactive details of how cards are created and of course the ornaments through the years. We especially enjoyed the gallery of one of a kind Christmas trees designed by the employees and given to Mr. Hall. The center is located in the middle of a huge shopping center so you can also see Hall department store. Worth checking out.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

My husband and I spent about an hour at the Hallmark Visitor's Center while in Kansas City. It is not flashy or noisy. It is a thoughtful reminder of Hallmark products throughout the years. I admit that I am a sap--and have been known to cry at Hallmark commercials, but I did love the retrospective of their products--from the earliest post-cards to their movies. Maybe it was just a "snow job" but this company seems to value their employees (ARTISTS!). This is such a difference with the way corporate America generally works. It gave me hope.
I wish Hallmark "the very best." And, I think that this is a wonderfully relaxing way to spend some KC time!

Reviewed November 1, 2012

I have a greater respect for a Hallmark card. The visitor center and not real easy to find, tucked back in with the corp. offices. A lot of reading. Make sure you see the short film they have as an option to see about the family that started Hallmark. Also the complex they built with their own proves that a company can make it work.