“So many fabulous miniatures/houses/toys/marbles”

The National Museum of Toys and Miniatures
Ranked #17 of 153 things to do in Kansas City
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The National Museum of Toys and Miniatures, formerly the Toy and Miniature Museum of Kansas City, reopened on August 1, 2015 after an $8 million renovation. The National Museum of Toys and Miniatures features one of the nation's largest collection of antique toys and the world's largest collection of contemporary, fine-scale miniatures.
Kansas City, Missouri
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“So many fabulous miniatures/houses/toys/marbles”
Reviewed March 21, 2013

After 2 hours we didn't see everything. A great museum for adults especially -- lots of nostalgia items. Incredible artists have created true works of art. The museum is still actively collecting. My major complaint is not enough labels -- when were items created? what time period is represented in each room/house? I think children would need guidance to appreciate this museum, but there are some interactive activities, i.e. playing marbles or look for special activities for them.

Visited March 2013
1 Thank Ann1609

Chicago, Illinois
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“fun for girls & boys”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

An amazing collection that appeals to all kinds of kids for all kinds of reasons. My kids (one girl, one boy) were somewhat skeptical when I told them we were going here, but they were both very entertained and had a wonderful time. This is the kind of genuine place that kids will remember, and certainly doesn't give you that slick, commercial, manufactured kind of experience. Everyone in KC recommended this place to us, and now we know why! It will exceed your expectations.

Visited July 2012
Lawrence, Kansas
33 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 64 helpful votes
“Don't miss this place!”
Reviewed January 27, 2013

Something for everyone! Kids and adults love this place. I have taken out of town friends (adults) who thought it was astounding.

Visited August 2012
240 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 180 helpful votes
“Do not take toddlers”
Reviewed January 25, 2013 via mobile

I love this museum. It is a great walk down memory lane especially in the Barbie section. The miniatures are incredible. The doll house collection always give me new ideas for my daughter's dollhouse. I took my three year old grandson. There is too much looking and not enough touching for anyone under six. He did like the marbles but would have been happier if he could have played with them.

1 Thank Chouette222
Lincoln, NE
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Amazing craftsmanship!”
Reviewed January 13, 2013

While I agree with previous reviewers that the displays are heavily weighted to doll houses, there are many examples of amazing miniatures that both genders will appreciate from the craftsmanship of the work. We found it well worth the price of admission and time spent. Don't overlook the house itself and its history; it is beautiful and has an interesting story to tell! My only complaint was the heat in the upstairs area above the two story entryway - we couldn't stand to stay there very long. Hopefully additional toys - tractors and farm miniatures - could be added to broaden the appeal (and how about a few G.I. Joes?)

Visited January 2013