“World Class”

Kansas City Museums Parks And History Segway Tour
Ranked #2 of 164 things to do in Kansas City
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Drop in for an hour, come for lunch, or spend the entire day wandering through world-class galleries. The Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art is the cultural jewel of Kansas City and just three blocks from the Country Club Plaza, and admission is free. The Nelson-Atkins, recognized as one of America’s finest art museums, strives to be the place where the power of art engages the spirit of community. With 40,000 works of art, the Nelson-Atkins is best known for its new Bloch Galleries, featuring Impressionist and Post-Impressionist art, plus its Asian art, photography, American paintings, American Indian and Egyptian galleries. The Donald J. Hall Sculpture Park, a beautiful setting for a walk or picnic, is an oasis in the city and home to notable sculptures.
Reviewed February 18, 2013

I make a point of visiting art museums in every major city I visit, but this is the first time I have reviewed one of them. I knew when I drove up that I was in for something special. The outdoor sculpture garden goes from whimsical to abstract, and I will never forget the chrome tree "growing" amongst the real trees. Inside the original structure of the museum, you will find paintings from the masters, statues both ancient and modern, and enormous displays from Native American culture, Asia, and Egypt. More than a person can appreciate in a single day. Move over to the recent addition to the Museum (which unfortunately lacks any architectural appeal...whatsoever) and you will find contemporary works. This museum was one of the highlights of my visit and I will visit again.

1  Thank winenotwhine
Write a ReviewReviews (2,664)
All reviews
"country club plaza"
in 32 reviews
in 110 reviews

Reviewed February 16, 2013

I used to love . . . LOVE . . . the 'Nelson'. It was my favorite place in KC, with my favorite restaurant (the Rozzelle Court). But then, they built this huge monstrous warehouse addition called the Block Addition, and they changed the restaurant from an informal, friendly buffett-setting, to a formal sitdown theme . . . . and I can't stand to 'set foot' in the building anymore. The old 'Nelson' was (is) a beautiful, classic structure, which they totally 'dissed' by attaching the new ultra-modern wing to it. I would have been happier if they'd demolished the old building and started anew. Furthermore, whereas we used to be able to walk directly into the Nelson, and into "art" -- now the only viable entrance is through the new Block building, where we have to walk seemingly hundreds of yards past bare walls. I know the museum is nationally respected, and the Block addition was highly regarded -- but it used to be a warm, friendly place, and it's not, anymore.

2  Thank Steve P P
Reviewed February 13, 2013

The outdoor sculpture garden was neat, even though it can get muddy if you go off the side walks. They have art from many different disciplines. In fact, there was so much to see, that we got tired and skipped out early. I'd recommend this to anyone in KC looking to kill some time and appreciate art.

Entry was free, though you do pay for parking if you use the garage.

1  Thank J W
Reviewed February 12, 2013

My family has visited the museum since we were all children. The museum has such an inviting atmosphere. I recommend that locals and visitors make this a destination.

2  Thank yana2005