“Ordinary Hampton Inn”

Ranked #6 of 23 Hotels in Joplin
San Diego, California
“Ordinary Hampton Inn”
Reviewed January 1, 2012

This was a basic Hampton Inn; nothing special stood out. When we checked in, I asked the manager how secure the parking lot was. She admitted that they had had a break in the night before, a rare occurance. Although we appreciated her honesty, we were quite concerned and relieved to get a space within sight of the lobby. The breakfast area was a bit cramped and had the typical Hampton Inn fare.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed December 7, 2011

There were no surprises here, which I appreciate when I'm traveling for work. I'm not sure this building was originally a Hampton Inn, as it seems a bit more cramped and dark than the HI's I've been in, but it was clean and comfortable. It seemed a bit aged, but again, totally clean and very comfortable (I had a hard time getting out of bed!). The place where they really shine is in customer service -- everyone was so incredbily friendly and helpful, from the front desk to the maintenaince staff I passed in the hallway. It was an uneventful, pleasant stay and I look forward to returning.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed November 28, 2011

Stayed here one night at Thanksgiving. The room rate was excellent, the hotel was clean and quiet, and as usual breakfast was included. Really like Hampton room design with corner bathroom! Also when I called to get pricing and availability, I was immediately offered special holiday pricing for the room. I really appreciate that way of doing business, as opposed to Drury which was $30 higher and they didn't offer a cheaper rate til I told them I was going to check around. Hampton still beat them by $10!

• Stayed November 2011
York, Pennsylvania
Reviewed October 11, 2011

Cindy at the front desk is outstanding, great phone and inperson personality and good follow thru. The property was in excellent conditon. Our room was a tad smaller than most Hamptons but it was adequate for us,we stayed only one night. the hotel was quiet, the water was hot with more than adequate pressure. The sheets did not fit like those at most Hamptons, they were not bad but tight fitting like others. The breakfast was good, the staff kept the food filled and the area neat and clean. I would stay here again, plus there is an Outback right across the street.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bigbuster885
Toledo
Reviewed September 6, 2011

I lived at this Hampton Inn for 23 nights following the Joplin tornado.

The employees could not have been more accommodating given the circumstances they had to deal with at work (the number of guests both local and from out of town, phone calls re: availability, etc.) and I know some had their own personal concerns following the tornado.

The hotel is very nice and kept clean above the Hampton Inn standards.

One notable story from my stay that shows how helpful the staff was is one day I had just finished recovering items from my destroyed residence. My brother and I were cleaning off my filing cabinet in the hallway outside my room and made a mess on the floor with drywall debris and insulation. I went downstairs to borrow a vacuum. I returned upstairs and proceeded to clean up my own mess. One of the housekeeping employes (who I am almost certain was off the clock and temporarily living at the hotel as well... because I saw her just about everyday given that I was living at the hotel), saw me with the vacuum and offered to take care of the vacuuming for me, saying I was a guest and it is not my job to clean. I said thank you but no need to do that, I made the mess, I'll clean up the hallway.

With everything going on at the hotel in the week after the tornado, the hotel brought in a couple meals during that first week featuring sandwiches and still provided fresh, baked cookies at the front desk every night. Plus, the Hampton Inn brought it case after case of bottled water and readily handed it out to guests for free at the front desk.

I later stayed here for another night in the middle of July 2011, in the hotel's lone suite on the ground floor just beyond the front desk (very nice room what I thought was a great price).

This location is directly across the street from an Outback Steakhouse and just beyond that is a Steak and Shake along with an Olive Garden and a slightly upscale Mexican restaurant is nearby. The location is great as a Sam's Club is also next door to the hotel.

You may hear the music from the nightclub (about 100 yards away), but this Hampton Inn is just one of about a half dozen hotels around/near (not next door) to this night club so you'll more than likely hear it at any of the other hotels. And even at that, the music really wasn't that bad and when I say that, I wasn't sleeping much during this time because of work and other tasks on the to-do list that kept me moving non-stop, so it wasn't keeping me from sleeping by any means.

If you're in Joplin and want a mid-range hotel, stay at the Hampton Inn. Great rooms and great staff.

Room Tip: The hotel features one suite just off the lobby, it is one large room w/ a king bed, fold out couch...
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank BuckeyeHoosier
Houston, TX
Reviewed July 27, 2011

We stayed at this Hampton Inn for a week for a baseball tournament. Because of the May tornado that destroyed a good chunk of this city, the hotels still standing stay very full and because of the tournament everything was sold out. The front desk was constantly getting phone calls for reservations and every single time the front desk personnel was VERY polite and patient trying to suggest alternate nearby cities. They actually had a waiting list going and would call if a room happened to open up. That service is above and beyond! The phone rang so often I would have thought someone on the staff would have gotten annoyed but no one ever did. And then with all the people waiting to book a room, they again went the extra mile to accommodate our baseball team. We had a late game that if we would lose, we would go home...if we won, we'd have to stay another night. Even with all the people waiting to get a room there, they waited to see if we needed the rooms!!! We did end up spending the night but not having to worry about losing the room for the night took away alot of stress. Every staff member from the housekeeping to the maintenance was friendly and always willing to give us directions or suggestions....this was VERY helpful as your GPS will still bring you to a location that doesn't exist anymore because of the tornado.

The rooms are very clean and beds are very comfortable. A/C was quiet and worked great. Complimentary breakfast was ample...waffle maker, cereals, danish, fruit, yogurt, eggs, bacon or sausage, potatoes. Coffee/tea is always available and fresh cookies are offered every evening. I would have given 5 stars but I do have the following complaints....there is no wireless in the rooms, only in the lobby (if you have a room on the Sam's Club side of the hotel, you can attach to their wireless connection during store hours), they have no laundry facilities (laundromat was about a 5 minute drive) and they offer double beds instead of queens (I always prefer queens). There's an outdoor pool that's literally in the parking lot and a small exercise room.

It's also located in a great location...close enough to hop on the freeway but pushed far enough back where it's quiet. Grocery store is close and lots of restaurants are within walking distance...Denny's, Waffle House, Bob Evans, Olive Garden, Outback Steakhouse, Cheddars and a fabulous Mexican restaurant called Cabo del Sol (a little high priced but the food is really great! Guacamole is freshly made at your table...queso is REALLY yummy.)

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed June 6, 2011

I normally love Hamptons, they are good quality hotels for the price. I have just one complaint about this one, there is a bar nearby that plays very loud music. It is so loud you have trouble sleeping. We could hear the music from the ground floor on the front side of the hotel.

We informed the staff and they moved us.. no issues so ++ on the service.

Room Tip: Stay on back side of hotel - upper floors
  • Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends