“Mediocre at best” 2 of 5 bubbles

Woody's Smokehouse
Ranked #25 of 223 Restaurants in Joplin
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Good for: Dining on a budget, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Seating, Takeout, Television, Wheelchair Accessible
Carthage, MO
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Mediocre at best”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2012

Having lived in Texas I have experienced many great BBQ restaurants. I was excited to try Woody's as its appearance and setup reminded me of many amazing BBQ places I've eaten before--heavy use of wood decor with picnic tables and bottled drinks in ice bins. It's very cute in aesthetics, but the look is nothing out of the ordinary and it's obvious someone worked very hard to get the contrived rustic look.

The food was so-so at best. The brisket was tender but had no bark or smoke ring, and it seemed to be heavily seasoned with pepper. I don't like overwhelming smoke flavor, but this seemed a bit light on smoke for even me. We tried each of the sauces they had to offer and both my husband and I found them inedible. I'm perplexed by the reviews that rave about the sauce. I guess if you like overpowering celery seed flavor then you'll be fine. The ribs were okay but without sauce were bland, a bit tough, and they tasted like they had been par-boiled. (Sorry, but that's a sin in Texas.) We tried the sausage as well, which was okay but nothing special.

If you've never had great BBQ you will probably be happy with Woody's. The place did seem very clean. To me though, the food is just average and is a bit overpriced. I don't care to pay that much for just the ambiance. It's unfortunate because I was really hoping to like this place.

• Visited June 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Jaye S

Joplin, Missouri, United States
“Great BBQ, great price, easy dining w/ TV for football games”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2012

It has several choices in meats & poultry & you can pretty much get it any way you like it. Excellent corn on the cob & baked potatoes. They also have potato salad, cole slaw, a bland iceberg salad & desserts, but I usually only get the meat since it's sooo good! It's enough all by itself.

Visited June 2012
Missouri
“Good BBQ”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2012 via mobile

We usually get the brisket. If you enjoy BBQ then give this place a try and you will not be disappointed.

Pittsburg, Kansas
“The boss IS the sauce!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2012

The brisket is melt in your mouth good. The ribs are also good. The food is reasonable priced. Their BBQ sauce is so wonderful that you can eat it with just a slice of bread.

• Visited February 2012
KTCL
“Good BBQ”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2012

The first time you go try a little bit of everything. You can get as small a potion (one rib) as you like. See what you like and then the next time double down. You won't be disappointed. Don’t be put off by the location (quik stop gas station). Atmosphere isn’t everything. My favorite BBQ in Joplin and I hit it every time I’m in town.

• Visited February 2012