“Outstanding - a fantastic restaurant!”

Wilder's Steakhouse
Ranked #10 of 242 Restaurants in Joplin
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Wilder's Steakhouse is part of Joplin's past and future. As the third owners of the restaurant we find our selves stewards of a historical piece of the Joplin landscape. Originally opened in 1929 by Mr. Verne Wilder it grew to encompass the 1200 block of main street with banquet facilities, bar, package sales, dining room and featured speak easy functions upstairs. We wish these walls could talk - we have had some really great stories shared by guests of the restaurant. We purchased Wilder's in 1996 and are proud to have uncovered some of the original beauty of the 1908 building we dwell in. As a fine dining restaurant in Joplin we strive to give all of our guests a wonderful dining experience and uphold ourselves to very high standards. Please come in and join us for our hormone and antibiotic free Black Angus Beef or some wonderful Wild Caught Seafood. We are always accepting reservations. See you soon.
Reviewed June 9, 2018

This is a WOW of a place — located on the outskirts of downtown in an over 100 year old building with its own storied past. The ambiance is clubby but not stuffy - here is a place where you will dine well but can arrive casual, yet you won’t feel overdressed in business attire.
Reservations are pretty important, especially if you plan to dine with a group. The restaurant is popular and deservedly so.
There are private party rooms and the main dining area has a nice mix of booths and tables. Lighting is low — gives great ambiance. Service is attentive and friendly but not at all pushy.
We followed our waiter’s suggestion and shared a scallops appetizer. Presentation was wonderfully elegant and the scallops were perfectly prepared. Then we each had a filet dish and shared sides - cauliflower gratin and a 5 cheese truffle Mac and cheese — both were out of this world. Often these dishes can be heavy, but these were light but oh so flavorful. Again presentation was outstanding.
The house made bread pudding is to die for and a must try if you enjoy bread pudding as I do.
My only disappointment was that there was no espresso available - that would have iced the cake of our experience.
Just a few weeks ago we were in London and enjoyed several very elegant dinners. This absolutely topped them. Joplin is incredibly lucky to have such a fantastic restaurant as this one. We will absolutely return.

3  Thank kwagmeister

Reviewed June 7, 2018

We loved Wilder's and wish it was closer to our home. From the moment we walked in, the service could not have been any better. The restaurant is located downtown in one of the old buildings.

We were seated in a booth and Crystal our server immediately came over and greeted us. Giving us time to explore the menu, we felt relaxed and were enjoying a real dining experience without being rushed. Between the two of us, we had the Elk Medallions with mushrooms and one of the nightly specials of Chicken Piccata over homemade pasta. Once the food was delivered Crystal stopped to see how our meal was. She looked at the Elk Medallion and said that isn't cooked enough, please allow me to take it back to the kitchen for you. Wow, how often does that happen, she was awesome!! The elk came back to the table perfectly cooked.
Both meals were absolutely fantastic and we savored every single bite. The food is high quality and cooked well. You can taste the passion the chef has in his food, and you feel like family from the staff.

We truly loved our dining experience.

3  Thank beetrvln
Reviewed April 20, 2018

We almost passed on eating at Wilder's because we couldn't really figure out how to enter the restaurant (park in the back off main street). So glad we didn't give up. The food was better than anything we have eaten and we have eaten in some pretty famous places including the Old Tavern on the Green in NYC.
The shrimp cocktail was amazing. I have never seen shrimp that big and their homemade sauce was a cut above anything we have ever tasted. We both had steaks cooked to perfection and the salads were done exceptionally well. You won't regret eating here. I give the owners lots of credit for offering such quality food.

2  Thank NewGrandma01
Reviewed March 2, 2018

I was in town on business and learned of this restaurant. We showed up without a reservation at the opening time, 5.30 pm, on a Tuesday. No problem obtaining a table: only the two of us for an hour or so; however, it was freezing rain and locals considered this bad weather and stayed away.

An “Old-school steakhouse with an original 1929 art deco bar & booths …”. I loved the atmosphere.

I was unsure about the Grilled Romaine Salad to start, though had it after the server (Lauren) highly recommended: great presentation and delicious! The Rib Eye was great. The Double Baked Potato with Gruyère cheese I selected as I love this cheese; however, I could not discern the taste of the cheese, which disappointed, otherwise, it was fine.

I look forward to returning when next in Joplin.

2  Thank Finrep001
Reviewed February 20, 2018

My wife and I were celebrating Valentine's Day and decided to try a different place. It was a great choice, starting with the reservations that I made easily online from their website to the bagging up of our leftovers it was truly a great dinning experience! It had great atmosphere and the food was delicious. The spicy crab dip appetizer was good and the special Wilder's minion was wonderful. We topped it off with their bread pudding which was the best we'd ever had. We paid a little more than we're used to but it was well worth it! We'll definitely go back for our special occasions.

2  Thank Dkjcook