“Looking forward to coming back”

La Quinta Inn Joplin
Ranked #2 of 23 Hotels in Joplin
Mo/Ar
“Looking forward to coming back”
Reviewed January 25, 2010

We stayed at this hotel the 2nd week of December in one of the 2 room king suites & loved it. The room as very nice, clean & the beds very comfy. There were several kids in the hotel as there were ballgames going on at that time but we never had any problems or disturbances at all. The breakfast buffet was larger than I have ever seen for a free hotel breakfast, all cooked fresh & very good. The staff are some of the friendliest people you will ever meet. We will definitely be back.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Phoenix
Reviewed January 23, 2010

On December 19, 2009 we stopped off the freeway to stay at the LaQuinta Inn in Joplin, MO. Upon arrival we checked in and request a smoking room with a king bed with an employee by the name of Brayden. He then stated that they had one smoking room left and that it may not be clean because people had walked into the room and decided they wanted two double beds and walked right out. He also stated if the room was not clean call him immediatley because his shift was ending soon and another person would soon be there and would not understand the situation. We arrived in the room and the room appeared to be clean. After being on the road for several hours we soon went to sleep. I set the alarm on my phone to awake me early so we could get back on the road. My alarm went off and my phone fell onto the floor just behind the bed below the headboard. I reached down blindly to pick up my phone and felt something cloth like. I turned on the light to look further and discovered and dirty pair of women's underwear. I was very disturbed by this with good reason. I then called down to the front desk and expressed my concerns with the young girl at the front desk. She explained to me that the manager was not on duty and she would have to call him and call me back.I immediatly got up and showered and while drying my hair the blow dryer attached to the bathroom wall overheated and sparked and did this in my hands while close to my left ear. It did not harm me, just scared me and it just quit working. I waited and waited and she did not return my call. I then went down to the front desk. She offered me a voucher for a free nights stay at another LaQuinta hotel. I then told her I was not happy with that and had no desire to stay at a LaQuinta again and would simply like my money refunded for this horrific experience. She said she would have to call the manager again and that she would call me in my room or I could come back down in a little while. I decided to stay there and wait. The manager would not talk to me. She then told me that she would refund half of my room and that the manager would be contacting me for sure on Monday morning 12/21/09 and he would be able to refund the rest of the money to me that she did not have the authority to do that. I then asked his name and direct phone number. Monday morning came around and I did not hear from the Mr. Grenager. I then decided to call him at 1:51PM. He did not answer and I left a message. That evening at 6:46PM he returned my phone call. I ansered the phone and he was very rude to me. He asked me what was going on. I explained to him the entire situation. With complete disregard to the dirty underwear situation he asked me "Was there smoke in the room" I responded that yes there was some smoke in the room when the blowdryer blew up and that it left an nasty burnt wire smell. He then said, "NO! Was there smoking in the room" talking to me as if I were a child. I responded: "Yes, there was smoking in the room, it was a smoking room." He said "NO it was not!" I then explained to him that when we checked in we requested a smoking room and that we were told there was one smoking room left and that, that was the room we wanted. The kid said no problem and took my credit card information. I also explained that he stated there was one smoking room available and that it should be clean and what he told me about people checking into it, then checking right out and that it was the end of his shift, etc. I also explained that we had absolutely NO IDEA that this was not a smoking room. If we were trying to sneak cigarettes we would have never left an empty pack of them in the garbage or left cigarettes butts in a cup of water on the table. I also explained to him that there was not an ash tray but we have stayed in many smoking rooms without an ashtray and that it was not unusual. I also explained to him that we could have very easily walked right outside to smoke if we had known it was not a smoking room. I then again brought up the dirty underwear situation and he did not even so much as apologize for this. He asked me who it was I booked the room with. I told him Braydenl, and he said he was not there tonight for him to talk to and that he would talk to him tomorrow and get his side of the story and call me back tomorrow 12/22. Mr. Grenager never called me back. I was shocked at his customer service skills to say the least. On 12/24 Christmas Eve I notice that there was a 300.00 dollar charge taken out of my account on 12/23/09. I was furious! Not only did he not call me back and completely disregard the entire reason why I called. He became vindictive and just took money out of my account when his employee made a mistake. I then called the hotel immediately to talk to him and Brayden answered the phone. I introduced myself and he said yes he remembered talking to me. He also stated that his boss had talked to him about the situation and then stated "I am 98.9% sure that I told you that was a non-smoking room" I then explained to him that he did not and he said he was very sorry. At least the teenage employee acknowledged the situation and apologized for all of the grief. The manager, Mr. Mike Grenager, was unavailable, so I left another message to please call me back at that time and he never did. I then attempted to contact the cooporate offices of LaQuinta and they were closed for the holiday. I then contacted Bank of America to file a complaint.

The following Monday 12/28/09 at 8:35AM I contacted the corporate office again and was able to speak to someone and file an official complaint. I was then given a case number . I was also told that they were very sorry and they would have to contact the manager and that he had 3 business days to respond and if it was not resolved they could then step in and take over the situation. They told me someone would contact me within 3 business days. I did not hear back from them so on 12/31/09 at 1:04PM I contacted them. I spoke with Jameka. She read to me the managers response to the claim and it stated that the customer, myself, had lied about the blow dryer overheating and that it was working fine and that I was trying to hide the cigarette smoking with that story. It also read that I was charged the 300.00 for damage to the room. I asked them what damage? They did not know and told me it would have to go to Mr. Grenager's manager at this point. I then explained to her that I was told if this was not resolved that cooporate could get involved, she stated because now I was being charged for damage to the room they could not get involved. I then asked to speak to a manager and was told that there was not one available. I was then told it would go to the area manager in Joplin, MO. and that someone would be contacting me after the New Year's holiday. I did not hear back from anyone. I then called back on 1/8/10 and was told to call back on 1/11/10. I then called back on 11/11/10 at 2:30 PM and was then informed that they were not going to refund my money that I damaged the room and encouraged me to contact my credit card company to further dispute the situation. They did credit me the 50.28 for the room. However, this charge of 300.00$ is completely unjust and as a consumer I have been treated poorly and retaliated against for complaining about a legitimate situation.

I have NEVER experienced such poor customer service. It basically came down to my word against the manager of the hotel's word and he blatantly lied and unfairly charged me money for retaliation reasons only. I did nothing wrong and did not deserve to be charged 300.00.

1 Thank mandylin2
Union
Reviewed January 21, 2010

You cant honestly find a better hotel for the price to stay at than the LaQuinta Inn in Joplin,MO.

The staff is very friendly and knowledgable, The rooms are very comfortable and have very nice ammenities. Cant beat the breakfast buffet which is also included in the price. I will continue to stay here as long as I travel through this part of the state.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
missouri
Reviewed January 19, 2010

the beds are simply the best i have ever slept in at a hotel.
the service is great and the price is right.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
NM
Reviewed January 15, 2010

When I called to cancel my reservation, they said they couldn't find a reservation for me. And then they billed me for the room, so they obviously had it! Now they won't refund me, and told me I have to go through my credit card company to dispute it. What a load of crap. I love all La Quintas and they are always so nice and helpful, but the Joplin management is rude and steal money from you...that's always great, isn't it?

Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank KC2004
Morris, Illinois
Reviewed January 12, 2010

We were very pleased with LaQuinta. The rooms were large, clean and recently renovated. The staff was very pleasant and helpful. My only concerns were that the sheets were a little nubby and they ran out of eggs at breakfast. Overall, it was a great hotel for our purposes.

Tyler, TX
Reviewed October 17, 2009

I would rate this motel a 10 out of 10 regarding rate, very friendly staff, cleanliness, breakfast, quality of bed, quietness, and service.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple