“Do not stay here!!!”

Ranked #9 of 23 Hotels in Joplin
Houston, TX
“Do not stay here!!!”
Reviewed August 9, 2007

Do not stay here. The customer service was terrible. We booked our room in advance and when we arrived, we were told that they had already given our room to someone else and charged us anyway! They said that was 'how we do things here'. We ended up having to call the Corporate Office and were refunded. We had other friends that had already checked in earlier so we ended up staying in their room. The room was absolutely filthy. The tub had mold growing all over it and the room smelled of mildew. I will never stay here again.

Stayed August 2007
1 Thank MyExperience07

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
LDM1969
Reviewed June 27, 2007

We were in town for a little league baseball tournament. We left our room at 8:30 in the morning and returned with our entire team at 6:00PM. Upon returning, our room was flooded. It had standing water in our bathroom, our bedroom carpet was wet, it ruined our personal items. We requested to be moved. They moved us directly above our flooded room. The room they moved us to was DIRTY. It had sliced tomatoes on the floor, the toilet had dried urine on the seat. The coat hanger was literally hanging by one screw. The tub was dirty. We asked to have our room cleaned. After waiting 4 hours, the 'manager' (although he never identified himself to me as the manager, he never apologized etc - I found out the next day that he was the manager)and his wife came and changed our sheets. I told them that the sheets were not the issue, the dirty toilet, tub and floor were. I specifically requested that the toilet be cleaned. I left and gave them room to finish. Upon returning to my room, my toilet had not been cleaned. I called the front desk and told them that the toilet was still dirty. The front desk man came and cleaned the toilet. The next morning, I requested to speak to the manager when he came in. 20 minutes later, we were asked to leave because we complained about a dirty room. Come to find out, everyone that complained about dirty rooms, or soiled linen, was asked to leave. I asked if this was their standard business practice. I was told to leave. They told me that my kids flooded the room. We left early in the morning and returned in the evening. We had several other parents with us when we entered our room. There was water coming through the ceiling, running down the mirror. My kids would have had to throw trash cans full of water to do damage like that. The dirty room they moved us to, was located directly above our first room. Outside the room was a trashcan collecting water dripping through the ceiling tiles; but my kids flooded the room - right! I have pictures and witnesses of the condition of the room (s) and the hotel. One couple had a large yellow dried stain in the middle of their bedding and they were asked to leave because they asked for their linens to be changed. POOR MANAGEMENT!!!! THe same man owns the Ramada in Joplin too.

• Liked — NOTHING
  • Disliked — It was DIRTY - Poor Management
  • Stayed June 2007
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank LDW1969
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed June 24, 2007

We booked a block of rooms for my son's State Baseball Tournament.

When we arrived there were people outside of the hotel having a party and drinking. They made rude comments to my 16 old daughter.

When we got to the entrance of our room there was a leak from the ceiling with a waste basket right outside our room catching the water that was dripping, along with pieces of the ceiling tile on the floor.

When we got inside to our room, the bathroom was in terrible shape and the floor looked like it hadn't been clean in a long time. There was hair all over the floor and dirty towels hanging on the back of the door.

We asked to change to a different room that was clean. They only had smoking available, but I didn't mind as long as I had a "clean" room.

I moved to the new room and didn't notice until the next morning that one of the beds had a soiled spot on the bedspread, which looked like a urine stain. I left a note, since we were going to be at the ballgames all day, to ask that they changed the bedding since it was dirty. When I arrived to my room they had cleaned the room, but did not touch the bed where I had left the note for them to change the bedding. I called the front desk asking them why it wasn't changed or even made? They said they would get to the bottom of who and why and also have someone come and change the bedding. I waited 4 hours and still no one had come to change the bedding. I called the front desk again, and then about an hour later someone "finally" changed the bedding.

The next morning I woke to my phone ringing and it was the front desk indicating that I must check out immediately. The only reason that they gave me, is because I asked that my bedding be changed! I was appalled and actually couldn't believe what I was hearing.

The condition of this hotel is ridiculous and they shouldn't be allowed to operate under these conditions. The Fire Marshall was also contacted regarding all of the fire codes that are being violated . There was not one emergency exit posted on any of the doors in any of our rooms.

I would have checked out the first night if we wouldn't have been there as a group. Needless to say several of us checked out and moved to a different hotel.

• Liked — There was nothing good about this hotel
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed June 2007
1 Thank Cordova1
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed June 16, 2007

While not thrilled to pay $65 for a basic hotel, I was happy with the days inn. All hotels in Joplin seemed to be more expensive than their counterparts elsewhere, but what do you do. The breakfast had eggs, sausage, biscuits, bananas, frozen waffles and pancakes, and cereal. I would say excellent for a continental breakfast. Also, the rooms were clean, the pool was good sized, the hotel was quiet. The only bad thing was housekeeping knocked on the door at 8 am. Make sure to put up the do not disturb before you go to bed.

• Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank BearlyUsed
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 12, 2005

After a 600 mile day, me and the dog were both ready for a rest. As I entered the lobby, there was a sign saying "no dogs". As I was already in the lobby, I asked if this was for the lobby or the entire facility. The clerk replied that it was everything. As I prepared to leave, a voice from the corner inquired as to what type of dog. When I responded a small terrier, he advised the clerk it was OK for us to stay. I believe he must have been the owner. The room was large, comfortable, and well maintained. We had a comfortable night considering the incredable thunderstorm going on outside. We subsequently stayed in 2 more Days Inn's on our way to California.

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Claremont, CA
Reviewed June 25, 2003

Finding a pleasant motel with some character in Joplin seems to be a losing proposition. Joplin is also surprisingly expensive (especially in value for the dollar) compared to the much better choices available in Springfield, just a hour's drive northeast.

The Days Inn, like most motels there, is located on a motel strip just north of the Interstate. The price was typical for Joplin at around $50 or so and is pleasant and clean enough with typical Days Inn amenities, though I'd rank this one below the more attractive Days Inns in some other locations. Room was large, clean, decent TV selection.
Personally, I really don't care for "enclosed" motels that seem to be spreading around. On road trips, it's definitely preferable to pull up outside the room and have a door right there to haul stuff in. This motel, like all the fake "hotel" types, mean a much longer haul to get to your room, plus having to pass the locked exterior door first (not good when both arms full of crap from the car).

If you aren't passing out as you hit Joplin, perhaps just as well to pass by.

10 Thank thamnosma