“Dishonest management”
Review of Sunrise Inn

Sunrise Inn
Ranked #21 of 24 Hotels in Joplin
Reviewed September 30, 2013

I arrived late in Joplin on a Wednesdy night too weary to search for a hotel. The first sign on the interstate advertised this place for $39 with a free breakfast so I thought "why not?". I was staying only one night and leaving early so I wasn't too concerned about amenities. The receptioist lady was nice and when I asked what time breakast was served she told me it started at 6:00 am. Perfect for an early start. The room was moderately clean - the bed sheets were clean but threadbare. Ditto for the towels. Noise from I44 is pretty bad. The tv was an old tube model. About what I expected for less than $40. I did not expect to be lied to. At 7:00 am I was ready to hit the road and went to the "breakast room" in the lobby the receptionist had told me about. No one there-no guests-no staff-and no breakfast. Several minutes a later front desk guy showed up so I asked about breakfast. He told me breakfast had been discontinued for several weeks. I told him what I had been told the previous night - he repeated there was no breakfast. I told him the sign said there was and asked for a small refund to cover the cost. He told me the price of the room had been reduced when breakfast was discontinued so there would be no refund. This was an outright lie. The sign - a very old sign that obviously hadn't been changed - advertised $39 rooms and free breakfasts. I can live with a room that isn't the Hilton for $39 but I can't tolerate dishonesty.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank oksooner1

Reviewed July 25, 2013 via mobile

This was the most disgusting room I'd ever stayed in. Mold covered bath mat, mildew on the shower curtain, a tick, yes a tick in a bed, dirt filled pool (the pool was filled in with dirt), and a nasty 'continental' breakfast. Yes bread by a toaster and cereal. On a positive note the coffee was good and the staff tried to be helpful. They used liquid plumber right after we check out. If you stay there bring your Hazmat suit.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed May 7, 2013

I just want to say that the place very sad. The breakfast was just some bread on a metal platter with what looked like yellow wash cloths, that are never cleaned, which, you have to toast yourself and cereal, that looks like it has been there forever. My room was your typical cheap room. Nothing fancy. The staff, however, was great. I was checked in by one of the housekeepers, whom I am guessing was filling in for the front desk attendant, she was nice enough, just not very put together. Later, in the day, I needed ice and went down to the lobby and the front desk lady, Jackie, had a very pleasing disposition and was very helpful. She was dressed very nice (nicer than even the hotel looked) and she never once rushed me or made me feel like I was bothering her. She went out of her way to make my stay welcoming. She remembered why I was here and my name. I really recommend stopping by and meeting this girl. She put a smile on my face and staying in a not so great place was worth it cause of her. She seemed like she knew what she was doing and I think is in management but to her people skills and the way she seems so at ease in her job.

Room Tip: The kind size room by the pool was nice.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank April F
Reviewed August 4, 2012

Check into this hotel. First the service was terrible. The gal at the seems like she doesn't even know what the hell she was doing. Very rude and unproffessional.

When I got into the room. It has this odor smells that makes me want to throw up. The bathroom was dirty, had stans around it. The towels was still wet. Didn't even have a remote control for the tv. The beds was nasty, the pillows smells like s h i t , the cover sheets had so many s h i t stans. And the door couldn't even be shut right. We try to find the phone to contact the front desk to fit our door and there wasn't even a phone in the room. You have to request for a phone. Don't be fool by the website page because it doesnt come with any of that in the room. And you can't cancel ur revs.

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed July 17, 2012

In all of our travels, this was the worst hotel. Ever. The room picture shown must be a room that was renovated for marketing purposes only. Our room door would not close properly--guess that is why there was a dead cricket on the bathroom floor. We did not feel safe. There were cigarette burn marks everywhere--bed cover, walls, furniture. The shower curtain was slimy MOLDY. The shower was stained. The carpet was garish (take a close look at the very colorful lobby carpet in the photos) and did NOT match the bed. Walls were bare. The sheets were clean (the pad underneath was not). We swallowed our pride at losing our money and fled to another hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for the room in the photo--the one that gets good reviews.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 2, 2012

By looking at these reviews and pictures we cant be talking about the same hotel. I was coming from Nashville Tn heading to Oklahoma City when I decided to stay in Joplin, mo. What caught my eye they have a big banaster that reads $39.99 nightly. So I say "what the hell" so I checked in I was amazed on the room. I have stayed in many hotels accros the country and I was expecting to get a $40 dollars room with problems, Not only the rooms was clean but the people was friendly and very generous. The next morning I decided to leave early so I went to checkout and I ask the young gentleman "Wheres a good place to get some breakfast? he replied "We have a continental breakfast and I was shocked. I told the young gentlemen that I always make this trip twice a year and that this is where Im going to rest for the night

Room Tip: Rooms are nice and quiet
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank aggies2010joplin
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 11, 2012

great location-very close to boubon and canal-great continental breakfast-super staff-frig came in handy as well as pull=out couch-its like you have 2 separate rooms-great for privacy
only bad thing-we were there for mardi gras on monday and there was a long wait to check in=we just left and came back later-they stowed our stuff-
also its a little inconvenient with the elevator situation=there is one to get to 2nd floor and then you have to go down the hall to the elevator for the rooms-
but i would definitely stay there again!!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with cheaprooms.com
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member