“A mixed bag: decent sleep; poor breakfast”

TownePlace Suites Joplin
Ranked #8 of 23 Hotels in Joplin
Illinois
“A mixed bag: decent sleep; poor breakfast”
Reviewed May 18, 2009

Our reservation got mixed up and instead of getting the two beds we requested, we got one bed and a "sofa" sleeper. Found this out at check in and it could not be changed; hotel was full. The sofa folded out into a TWIN size bed, barely big enough for our teen son. We made a 'bed' for our daughter using the sofa cushions on the floor. Front desk had no more blankets, thankfully we had a few travel size ones in the car.

The room itself is nice and clean. Tiny kitchen is handy. Unique closet includes a door into the bathroom.

Front desk person tried to be helpful but just seemed young and inexperienced. When I pointed out to her that the pool towels were all gone, she gave me room towels to use (fine) but the pool towels were not replenished that evening at all.
Pool is fine if small. A very small fitness room is next door.

Breakfast was a chaotic mess. The standard feed-yourself-fare is set up in a small galley style hallway. It quickly became choked with guests trying to cook their own waffles, fix toast, etc....The area is entirely too small for the guests it needs to serve. Also, my husband waited for 15 minutes for coffee before giving up.

There is an outside walk that leads to the Cracker Barrel restaurant next door.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Bloomington IL
Reviewed February 19, 2009

This was a fabulous place to stay! Very clean, modern and quiet. The staff were very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
IL
Reviewed January 31, 2009

We stayed here in June as one night of our family vacation on Rte. 66. Absolutely loved the place! Large clean rooms, quiet and in a great location. Within walking distance to several restuarants. Indoor pool and fitness room. Nice breakfast area. Continental breakfast included hot/cold cereal, waffles, toast, juice, milk, coffee and tea. Great hotel!

• Liked — Very clean, friendly staff.
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
Huntsville, AL
Reviewed January 2, 2009

The hotel is pretty new and very nice. The entire hotel is very clean. The rooms are pretty and the bedding is white, so there's no problem figuring out how clean the bedspread is. There is a nice kitchen that has dishes and some beverage supplies. The continental breakfast was adequate and the fact that they had a waffle iron where you could have a "hot" breakfast item was a nice touch. The bed was a little firmer than I am used to, but was still comfortable. The only problem we had was getting the right temperature in the room. We never could get a temperature that we were really comfortable with. But, overall the hotel is great and I would highly recommend it.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — AC/Heater
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
Westmoreland, TN
Reviewed December 20, 2008

Very clean and comfortable. Staff was responsive, courtious, and helpful.

• Liked — Cleanliness
  • Disliked — Location
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
OKC
Reviewed December 4, 2008

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for 1 night on our way to Branson, MO from OKC. This was our first time to stay at a Townplace Suites although we are Marriott reward members. I must say I was impressed. Since we were really only there to sleep, unfortunately we didn't get to take advantage of all the amenities such as....the indoor pool, free DVD rentals, exercise room, kitchen, etc. We did eat the free continental breakfast and it was ok. Muffins, pastries, hard boiled eggs, cereal, oatmeal, juices, milk, coffee, etc.

The only complaint that I had was the bathroom was kinda small. Not so much the bathroom, but the vanity area. It did have drawers though which is unusual at a hotel. No toilet lid to close and set my overnight bag on though. They offered the complimentary shampoo and conditioner, but no lotion which would have been nice.

The small kitchen was wonderful although we weren't there long enough to use it. But we did purchase some microwave popcorn in the little store they have and popped that. Full size microwave, even a dishwasher. The bed was very comfortable and the bedding was nice too. Very clean. Reminded me of a small studio apartment.

We would definitely stay here again if we're in the area. We only paid $69 and that was a weekday (day before Thanksgiving too). I was thrilled at that. The area seems safe and convenient to I-44. Before long there will be all kinds of other restaurants, hotels, etc. in the area I'm sure. It is located directly behind a Cracker Barrel. There is a new and very nice casino about 8 miles away on exit 1. This hotel is located at exit 8a. They do allow pets because we saw several there. I think they charge a non refundable pet fee of $75, I think I remember reading.

Give it a try, you won't be sorry.

• Liked — homey feel
  • Disliked — small vanity in bathroom. And I forgot to mention in my review, there was no one at the front desk when we checked out. Had to just leave my key.
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Oklatraveler
Owensboro, Kentucky
Reviewed December 31, 2007

I reserved what was supposed to be a "larger suite" to stay in while my husband, son and I visited family in the area. The truth is, these are not suites in any sense of the word, they are just regular rooms with a kitchenette. There was no separation between the beds and the so called "living area" which didn't even have a couch, so we had to go to bed when my son did.

• Liked — Refrigerator
  • Disliked — Not a suite
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family