“Great place to take a driving break”

The Wildcat Glades Conservation & Audubon Center
Ranked #2 of 26 things to do in Joplin
More attraction details
Owner description: Conservation area south of Joplin, Mo with extensive walking trails, museum, and wildlife programs & activities.
Reviewed July 2, 2014

Wildcat Glades is less than 5 minutes south of I-44. It's a terrific place to pull off the highway, stretch your legs and rest your eyes on something other than endless highway. The Audubon Center has great exhibits for kids. The natural area around the Center is beautiful and there are hiking trails. There are also many food options if you head north onto Main Street of Joplin or go one exit east and go to Range Line (where there are tons of restaurants).

All reviews
"wheel chair"
"blue jay"
"short distance"

Reviewed June 25, 2014

I love to go to the Glades for all different reasons: take a nice walk on the hiking trails; picnic lunch; a quick swim in the creek; BBQ with friends; or just some peace and quiet on a weekday. They have a wonderful trail system and a really nice visitor center and teaching facility, as well. The people running it are really nice and helpful, and they offer special programs throughout the park on a regular basis.

Reviewed June 23, 2014

My son and I recently stopped to walk the trails with our 2 dogs. We had barely gotten out of the car when an extremely rude conservation agent hurried over to my son, waving his arms, and yelled "we don't really allow dogs here!" Everyone else stopped and stared at us as if we had committed a haneous crime; my son was embarrassed and I was angry! As we were returning to our car, we observed a man walking his German Shepard past the building toward the trails and no one said a word. We drove to the parking area down by the water and continued our walk, passing at least 6 other dogs with their owners. If dogs aren't allowed, then signs should be clearly posted and enforced for everyone, we saw no signs. My real issue is the way in which the agent handled the situation. He could have simply walked over to us and explained the policy since it wasn't posted rather than yelling and waving his arms and upsetting my son and our dogs. Did I mention that the dogs are labs, one is small 40 lbs and the other was a 15lb puppy at the time, not huge menacing dogs. Overall, the trails are nice, but nothing spectacular going on in the building.

1  Thank ShelleyA564
Reviewed June 17, 2014

Stopped by to view the center and take a walk with my wife. Was disappointed when we walked in. The gentleman behind the counter just looked at us. Didn't say a word until I asked a question. The center itself is nice although very, very small. The trails are nice.