“Nice Clean Hotel”

Best Western The Oasis at Joplin
Ranked #12 of 24 Hotels in Joplin
Reviewed August 30, 2009

The rooms were very clean. The staff was very friendly. Breakfast was great. They offered a wide variety of foods.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Nathan N, General Manager at Best Western The Oasis at Joplin, responded to this reviewResponded February 4, 2015

Thank you so much for telling us about your stay and we really enjoy being able to see if our guest our enjoying their time here with us. These type of reviews make us know that we are doing a good job and I will inform my staff to keep up the great work. We look forward to you staying with us anytime that you are in the Joplin area.

Reviewed June 20, 2009

Very nice Best Western! Earlier this month I had stayed at 2 Best Westerns (one in GA, one in TN) and found them to be very disappointing, and on the way to being the next Motel 6, so I was very hesitant in staying at Best Western. However, this hotel in Joplin was VERY NICE! Very clean, and up to date!

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with friends

Reviewed April 10, 2009

This Best Western was pet friendly and people friendly. The room was recently renovated and clean. There was space to walk the dogs and the parkng lot was well lit. It's convenient to the highway.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed March 27, 2009

We stayed in a king suite / pet room because we have 2 dogs and upon arrival we found room to smell of pet urine, food / trash was on the floor next to bed and under bedside tables, coffeemaker had brown sludgy substance on opening of water tank, bed did not have a mattress cover / pad and when pulling the sheets back off bed, we discovered mattress to be quite soiled and stained, washcloths were soiled with brown and black spots, bed only had a thin blanket, no bedspread, shower curtain had brown crusty stuff dried on inside, shampoo and soap came from a dispenser adhered to tub wall and did not appear to be very sanitary, there was clear dried crusty stuff all over curtains in bedroom area. The photos of this hotel on website made hotel / rooms look very appealing and new, but not so. We will not stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sgaumont

I am very sorry about the cleanliness of your room and assure you that this is not typical for our hotel. We have made many improvements to our hotel and all of our staff takes pride in ensuring that our guest will enjoy their stay with us. I would love to have you come back and stay with us to see the new improvements we have made.

Reviewed October 20, 2006

This tied for the worst hotel on our trip, fortunately it ws also the cheapest. The room was tiny, the bathtub did not drain, there was no desk, the room was not very clean. The bed was uncomfortable. The young ladies at the front desk were clueless. There was so little room for breakfast that we went elsewhere. And I could go on. This hoteldoes not deserve to be a Best Western.

Our stay in this hotel was part of a 53 day US tour that took us over 10,000 miles, 36 different hotels, and a different restaurant every evening. We were on a budget so did not stay in luxury hotels or generally eat in expensive restaurants. This review is relative to what we found on average. We booked all hotels in advance over the internet, when available, and checked them all against reviews on TripAdvisor.com which we found very helpful.

• Stayed: September 2006
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank Wine_enthusiast

It is important for us to receive feedback from our guest because it helps us make improvements for future guest. We have completely remodeled our lobby and breakfast are to better serve our guest for breakfast. Our current staff takes pride in their work and strive to make sure every guest enjoys their stay with us. I would love to have you come back and stay with us to see the improvements we have made.

Reviewed October 15, 2006

We reserved eight rooms for two nights for a family reunion. We cancelled one reservation at the last minute, and the staff handled this cheerfully, without charging us for the room or a cancellation fee.

This hotel is a great bargain: decent rooms at about half the cost of nearby hotels. The only real problem -- and it's a potential show stopper -- is that this is a 3-story hotel, but it has no guest elevator. Rooms on the first floor are limited, although we were able to get one for my elderly aunt and uncle. Everyone else wound up lugging their luggage, babies, and child supplies up at least one flight of stairs.
It's truly mind-boggling that anyone would design a hotel without a guest elevator. No one wants to haul their stuff up stairs, and for some, it's a real problem.

When I checked in (late, very tired, and in pain), the only room with the specifications I needed was on the third floor. I explained to the staff that I had an injured back, and it would be quite painful for me to carry my luggage up to the third floor. The staff (two young girls) were snippy and rudely condescending (all other staff during our visit were wonderful). After I'd painfully dragged my luggage up the stairs, it occurred to me that there had to be a staff elevator, which they could've offered to let me use, or they could've offered to help or get someone to help me.

When my elderly aunt and uncle arrived at check-in time (3 p.m.) the next day, their room wasn't ready. They had to sit in the lobby for over two hours until their room was made up. They couldn't go wait in a relative's room because all of our other rooms were on the second or third floor (no elevator!).

The hotel has no meeting or conference rooms, and the lobby and breakfast areas are rather small.

Other reviews have mentioned being able to check out movies at the desk to watch in their rooms. This perq is no longer offered. At least some of the more costly suites have DVD players, but most rooms do not.

The web site sort of implies that the hotel has a hot tub or jacuzzi. Some of the costlier rooms have a jacuzzi tub, but most do not.

Other than the lack of a guest elevator, our stay was very good. We had seven rooms of people, and none of them had any problems to report. That's an impressive record for even an expensive hotel.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
1  Thank Laina2
Nathan N, General Manager at Best Western The Oasis at Joplin, responded to this reviewResponded January 29, 2015

Dear Laina,

Thanks for taking the time to tell us about your stay! I would love for you to come back and check out our new lobby and breakfast area. We have done a complete remodel on both and it is much bigger and better then your previous stay. Also, if you give us a call in advance then we would be more then happy to try and get you a ground floor room.

Reviewed April 7, 2006

I was visiting a friend and pre-booked this hotel. It is an older property but well maintained. Conveniently located on the main shopping street there are good dining places around.
The rooms open on to the balconies which could be a problem in wet weather. The rooms themselves are comfortable and clean. The lobby area is too cramped and the breakfast looked unappetising so I skipped it. The main selling point is the low cost of a room and the efficient staff.

Stayed: March 2006