“Average Room, Sketch Place”
Review of Motel 6 Joplin

Motel 6 Joplin
Ranked #19 of 24 Hotels in Joplin
Reviewed July 1, 2014 via mobile

Check-in: VERY smokey. Unbreathable.
Room: Clean for the price, to the point. Emphatically minimalist, which extends to the towels and especially bed covers - paper-thin. Ugh.
Environment: Sketch. Had to walk through a large group of men drinking, smoking, and chattering (different language) to get to our room. Walked around a bit, and got a lot of staring from random guys hanging around on balconies. Wouldn't want to be a woman alone.

Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple

Reviewed June 29, 2014 via mobile

The rooms were updated, close to food, good price. The staff was funny. From the outside it didn't look like much but the inside was nice. I love the flat screen TV with inputs to hook up games or movies only thing was the shower head was in a weird place but still good pressure. I will stay again next time I'm in Joplin.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 25, 2014

I had in the past run into issues with this chain, so I wasn't expecting much BUT I was very pleasantly surprised with my stay from the start. *I knew this location had undergone a major renovation, but didn't know if that would be enough to improve the overall stay. The staff was great to work with - helpful, good attitude, efficient, adn clearly desiring to make it a good decision. This was top to bottom service: management, front desk, housekeeping, etc. BIG DEAL #1...no additional charge for my cat! BIG DEAL #2...offered a GREAT rate package, no credit card was required, no hassle check-in. Opened up the door to my room and was instantly pleased. The room had been outfitted with a system of furnishings that, though very minimalistic, when you looked closer provided all of the different areas/items needed for storing, hanging, eating, sleeping, watching TV, business and CLEANLINESS. Wood-look vinyl flooring is the smartest idea I have ever seen for a motel, and especially one allowing pets! No worries about bugs or fleas; No dust/pollen build-up; no stained carpet to try to keep clean. The surfaces of the style of furnishings are simple to clean and disinfect, too...and yes I am a germaphone! Then I noticed a refrigerator and microwave, which I had never seen in a Motel 6 - and was provided free wifi that worked well, cable TV on a big flat-screen, plus free local phone calls. My room was in the back of motel so there was no street noise, nobody loitering around or being loud after 9:30pm, and the pool was clean and ready to use if desired. There was a comfortable mattress, enough towels, and a coin laundry room with affordable prices on site, as well. I usually don't give higher ratings for locations unless there is really something that stands out, but they actually came close to a 5 with the combination of all these things!!! Here were the drawbacks that kept them at a 4: NO COFFEEMAKER IN MY ROOM and I am a hardcore coffee drinker [they did have coffee in the lobby but not early enough in the morning], no hairdryer, no ironing board <which I actually use regularly when traveling>, and little pillows. **The lack of breakfast and small toiletries was OK with me because I can get those things on my own for very little money when most hotels/motels use those items to severly jack-up the nightly room rate making them NOT free after all but more costly.---->>> I belong to more than one lodging "club" but may just start looking into staying at the Motel 6 chain more often after staying at this one and one in Arkansas!!!

Room Tip: I stayed in the back and had no noise problems at night. If you want to sleep in the daytime, though...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 20, 2014

No problems at all with this Motel 6 location. Clean, safe, and service was very good. Bathroom was clean and everything worked as it should. No worries staying here. Price was in the low $40s, so very economical stay.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank jason d
Reviewed April 21, 2014

It has been a few years since my last stay in a Motel 6, and I remember basic but comfortable accommodations. I have since stayed with most of the major hotel chains and have come to expect certain fundamental features and amenities. My family had business in Joplin and reserved a room because they offered a low rate, and allowed our dog to stay with us in the room. But the faded, outdated sign should have given us a clue of what to expect. The room was clean enough, and at least included a flat-screen TV and mini-fridge. But there were few towels, no hair dryer, no iron or coffee maker, and few outlets to plug devices into. You were treated to two small bars of soap, but no shampoo or conditioner. On the warmest night in weeks, the air conditioner went out. All the desk staff could do was tell us to open a window. The windows, by the way, open about six inches, and are covered by room-darkening curtains, which must remain closed to keep out the bright lights on the busiest street in Joplin. After an uncomfortable night, we checked out - the desk staff didn't ask if we enjoyed our stay. I think they knew already. I took the extra roll of toilet paper - it's not great TP, but they owed me something. Stayed the next night at the Super 8 in Carthage and slept like a rock. An e-mail to Motel 6's Guest Relations got the response that they keep prices low by offering sparse accommodations and nothing extra for comfort, and that this is what you should expect if you stay at Motel 6. So I'm here to tell anyone looking for a motel in Joplin that, if you want a sleepless night in an unattractive room for a low price, come to Motel 6. Just don't expect them to leave the light on for you - lights cost extra.

Room Tip: Find one at a different motel.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
4  Thank SleeplessinStLouis
Reviewed January 8, 2014 via mobile

Mid $40.00 for price. Close to food. Rooms clean. Was suprised by laminate flooring, but was easy to see that it was clean. Front desk called after I had been in room a while checking that it was OK. Bed feels good but haven't slept yet. I grabbed card at desk to keep address for future.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed December 30, 2013

I had to stop in Joplin due to bad weather on my way to Oklahoma on 12/20/13.
First off, the price was GREAT.
Secondly, they must've renovated because my room was VERY modern, stylish, and clean. The outside may not be much to look at, but I was VERY impressed with my room, and the bathroom which also looked like it had been remodeled with a new shower and updated sink and fixtures. I was VERY impressed. The flat screen tv was awesome, as was my VERY comfortable bed. I really liked the modern look to the room and wish I had taken pictures, so I could share them. The photos online of the floral bedspreads and wooden furniture are NOT current.

The only issue I had during my stay was that the upper balcony walkway became icy (I was there because there was an ice storm), but upon alerting the front desk, they had maintenance salt immediately. I was impressed that they handled the issue so promptly. Well done!

Room Tip: i enjoyed my corner room upstairs. It was perfect.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo