“Very Good for the Money, Best Wyndham Group Motel in Joplin”

Econo Lodge Inn & Suites Joplin
Ranked #14 of 24 Hotels in Joplin
Reviewed January 24, 2012

I stay here on a regular basis, the staff in general is friendly, but like any place, from time to time, new staff evening staff might not be as friendly as say the day staff. Because I do stay here on a regular baisis I have got to know all the staff over several years. I have stayed at every Wyndham property in Joplin and none match this motel in quality (it is not even close). I have also stayed at other "brand" motels in Joplin and many "Brand" Motels across the country and I do not care what you can usually find a problem with any of them if you look hard enough. Can you get better in Joplin, naturally, but you will pay for it and it will not be that much better, the staff may not be friendly, and you may have to listen to the trucks on the Interstate all night. I noticed many are comparing this location now vs the past, no it is not as good as it was before the tragic death of a past manager, but most of what I have seen in degradation is more attention needs paid to maintenance and they, like most motels across the country are cutting costs where they can; for instance reducing lighting. I do not believe the before and after the tornado is a fair comparison.

Room Tip: Stay in a inside room if available and northside rooms are quieter. I can not recommend the Denny...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
Pamela C, Front Office Manager at Econo Lodge Inn & Suites Joplin, responded to this reviewResponded November 14, 2012

We are so glad to hear that you enjoy your stay with us, and look forward to having you back. I would like to point out that we are under new management, and she has been working continuously with the owner to make more improvements in the appearance, and comfortably of our hotel.

Reviewed January 19, 2012

I stayed here in May last year (before the tornado) and had no problems. When I stayed a few days ago it was like a completely different hotel. The price went up. The halls were dingy and didn't look like they had been cleaned in a long time. When we entered our room we noted a strong smell of body odor. Turning on the heater alleviated this some by simple circulation. However, one of the beds smelled exactly like the body odor we smelled upon first entering the room. Needless to say nobody slept in this bed during our stay. The other bed was uncomfortable with a major dip in the middle of it so you were fighting to stay on the edge of the bed the whole night. The trouble continued into the bathroom. The floor was sticky and the shower was so dirty we didn't use it. It looked like it hadn't been cleaned in months.

I will never stay here again. It is a shame to the Baymont name.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
Pamela C, Front Office Manager at Econo Lodge Inn & Suites Joplin, responded to this reviewResponded November 10, 2012

We are very sorry that you had that experience! I can only speculate on how things ever got to the state you described, but I can assure you it is no longer. We got new management this fall and have been hard at work tackling many of the previous issues, from cleanliness to maintenance to staff professionalism.

In light of the changes going on around here, we hope you’ll reconsider and give us another chance.

Reviewed November 12, 2011

Small rooms, VERY small bathroom, low ceilings, "queen" beds are really doubles, warn and dingy hallways. Not anywhere near the standard of other Baymonts I have stayed. Overdue for a major renovation.

• Stayed: November 2011
1  Thank Hendrixfootball

While we have not done any major renovations, we did come under new management this fall. Since then we’ve done a little updating and some additional maintenance with an eye toward helping some of the existing space open up a little more. This has also helped with that “dingy” feeling you mentioned. In light of this, we hope you’ll be willing to give us another chance.

Reviewed October 13, 2011

I stayed at this place when I came down to see my family & I was so disappointed. The room was dirty. It didn't even looked like the carpet has been cleaned & the bathroom was nasty. I found hair in the tub,on the floor & the toilet hadn't been cleaned properly. The hallways was dirty it looked like they never get cleaned. The elevator was dirty & the tile in front of it was dirty also.
The breakfast wasn't very good either I had to go somewhere else to get a decent meal.
The manager was very rude & she wasn't dressed like a manger should be she looked very sloppy.
I will never stay at this place again. It was not what I had expected from a Baymont.

Room Tip: go to another hotel
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Sam J
Pamela C, Front Office Manager at Econo Lodge Inn & Suites Joplin, responded to this reviewResponded November 9, 2012

It is most regretful that our hotel ever went through a time like the one you and several of the 2011 reviewers experienced. We hope you are pleased to hear that this past fall we received new management. Since that time we have seen improvement in both cleanliness and the professionalism of our staff. We hope you’ll consider staying with us again next time you’re in town.

Reviewed September 8, 2011

I really don't know what happened to this place. I had stayed here back in April and was very pleased with my room,but this time it seems like the place went down hill fast. The room was very dirty,tub and toilet was nasty. I found trash under the bed and the room looked like it hadn't been dusted for weeks. To top it all off the manager was very rude and didn't seem to care about how dirty the room was. I will never stay here again and I advise other people not too either.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Allen S

We are so sorry about your experience here. It sounds like you will be among the most pleased to know that we are under new management. Under the leadership of our new General Manager, we have been steadily improving all fall, from the overall cleanliness of the building to the professionalism of our staff. We’re confident that if you give us a second chance you will see a night-and-day difference from what you wrote about in this review.

Reviewed August 10, 2011

Halls, elevator, rooms all very dirty. Carpet stained. Holes in wall/hall. Lamps in room didn't work. Front desk staff rude and indifferent to the mess. Definitely NOT worth the cost. Never stayed in Baymont before; never will stay in Baymont again.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family

We are terribly sorry to hear of your experience at our hotel. I would like to assure you that the conditions you have reported are neither characteristic of the Baymont name, nor of this specific hotel—especially since getting new management early this fall. In light of the improvement we’ve been making and our new General Manager, we hope you’ll consider giving us another chance next time you’re in Joplin.

Reviewed June 7, 2011

The pricing isn't too bad if you're here for an extended stay. We're in the older part of the building so I'm guessing the rooms in the newer area are a bit nicer.
But overall the bed is comfortable, theres a decent size fridge in the room along with a microwave. Large closet and pretty bathroom sink and mirror.
The area is basically hotel row and is very busy.
I think there are several nicer hotels in the area but everything is booked due to the recent tornado.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business

We’re glad to have been able to offer accommodations to meet your needs, even in the midst of the chaos of that time.

We still offer the same great amenities, at competitive pricing. Our service is improving since coming under new management this fall, and we hope you’ll choose to stay with us again next time you’re in the area.