“Decent BBQ, HUGE PIES!!!”
Review of Big R's Bar-B-Q

Big R's Bar-B-Q
Ranked #8 of 237 Restaurants in Joplin
Cuisines: Barbecue
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Smoked barbecue, brisket, pulled pork and ribs being most popular. They also have a large variety of homemade pies that are served as huge slices. very rustic decor and friendly service.
Reviewed August 11, 2014

As many BBQ places go, it is rustic themed. Not new or exciting but a good BBQ. Bar on one side with tables and other side is a small dining room. Wait staff is good and attentive. Usually busy but worth a stop. Nice BBQ 1/2 (huge) or full size chef salads.

Reviewed August 7, 2014

The food is great. Will definately pay with cash if we choose to eat at this restaurant again.

We left a cash tip for the server... a week later I found the card receipt in my purse, and was charged for an additional tip :( Called the management team and was told the server should have told me she added a tip on the receipt? ! Not too happy....I thought it was customary the customer should pick the amount of the tip.

1  Thank J H
Reviewed August 5, 2014

I read about the food in a magazine several months ago, so when the opportunity came to travel to Joplin, I said "YES" send me to Joplin to get the job done. I arrived during lunch time and parked in front of a building that looked pretty run down (It proves you cannot tell the book from it's cover). Inside was a real décor of country items. The waitress was outstanding and drinks were served in quart fruit jars. The steak sandwich was absolutely the best, very tender and the beans - well, I could have made a meal of those. I did not try the pie since the dessert came with the meal. Next trip - a whole coconut pie will be coming home with me. They are remodeling this week so look forward to seeing the change. Can't wait!

Reviewed July 28, 2014

I hadn't been to this restaurant in quite some time and was looking forward to eating what I remembered as good barbeque. However, I quickly found out that it had changed greatly. Last time I visited Big R's was when I was probably 12 or 13 (6 years ago), and I remembered the food was EXCELLENT. I visited Big R's this weekend with a couple of my friends for one of their birthday's to which neither of them had ever tried this place. I was like "oh my gosh! we have to go there it's so good" and I made a liar of myself. The service was terrible, our waitress was WEIRD and looked at us like we were dumbed when we would ask for more rolls or a refill. Food was cold, ribs were tough and had the texture of beef jerky. I literally thought I was eating beef jerky, not kidding. My side salad was watery and the ranch turned to water because of all the water the lettuce had on it, and my baked beans tasted funky. My friends both got the Cattleman's burger which looked good and was HUGE along with the portion of suzie q's they got. They both said their burgers tasted burnt and the onion rings on the burger were gross because the onion slid out of the crust!!!! They both thought the susie's tasted good, but I thought they tasted like OLD GREASE! The ONLY thing I found that I was satisfied with was the rolls and applebutter that they serve with the meal. Heck, I practically had to fill up on the rolls because the ribs sucked and so did the baked beans. I was highly disappointed because this place USE TO BE good barbeque. For a $15 meal, it WAS NOT WORTH IT AT ALL!!! I am willing to pay a lot for GOOD ribs but these were no where near "ribs." This place made a liar out of me because the food WAS TERRIBLE! I probably won't be going back when I can get GOOD ribs at Rib Crib!!! Their homemade pies did look good though even though I didn't end up getting a slice!

Reviewed June 30, 2014

My wife & I recently tried Big R's for the first time. We went for lunch and were promptly seated. The restaurant even for lunch was 80-90% full. Our waitress was very attentive & outgoing.

We ordered their fried mushrooms for an appetizer. These were the BEST fried mushrooms my wife & I have ever had!

My wife then ordered a 1/3lb burger & fries. I ordered their Fried Pork Tenderloin dinner with a salad & potato salad. Both of us were very impressed at the portion size for your money & the quality of food was outstanding!

We then split a piece of Strawberry Lemonade pie for desert. Which was the best pie we have either one ever had!

All in all we both were extremely impressed & will be going back. If you're looking for somewhere in the Joplin area to get 'down home cooking' this is the place to go!

Been to Big R's Bar-B-Q? Share your experiences!