“Won't Be Back”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Reviewed August 18, 2013

I have been here over a dozen times and it’s hit or miss. The food is usually very good, but you can get there on a day when a menu item is listed as grilled and served deep fried....the explanation “we forgot to change the menu or tell you it was changed when you ordered”. I’m not a fan of deep fried anything, so this was a big error for me. On my last and final visit, I was totally disgusted. A server went to pick up an order and also picked up a few fries from a plate to eat themselves. The fries got inches from the server’s mouth when a kitchen staff person said something. The server put the fries back on the plate and served the order. I was shocked that the kitchen staff didn’t redo the order....not even the fries that were touched and almost eaten. About fifteen minutes later, the same server was eating standing up at a table. They took a handful of food (no utensils were used), put it in their mouth, wiped their hands on their butt and went behind the bar to get drinks. Not once stopping to wash their hands or even use a napkin or towel. They served the drinks and went back to eating....with their hands.
I understand that you can’t control all your staff. The thing that got to me and the reason that I will not be returning is that NOT ONE other employee said a word. I noted that most of the kitchen and bar staff saw the server repeatedly doing unsanitary things but never said a word. It makes me think that that is the norm and also makes me wonder what other sanitary issues are being overlooked and/or tolerated as the norm.

4  Thank MeepersTaz

Reviewed July 29, 2013

Service was incredibly slow. They were busy, but I could see the staff just standing around. All I wanted was a hot dog for my son. I will NEVER go back. I even got a personal apology from the owner (through a mutual friend). He's a nice guy but his business was a disappointment.

4  Thank Momof2boysathome
Reviewed July 29, 2013

These hot dogs are amazing. I've yet to have a bad one. The toppings are unconventional but delicious. High quality hot dogs with just the right amount of "snap" when you bite into them.

1  Thank lanstar4
Reviewed July 10, 2013

I don't even like hot dogs but loved the ones at Instant Karma. This restaurant is interesting and their food is fabulous. We were traveling from Dallas to St. Louis and searched trip advisor and Urbanspoon. Instant Karma was #1 on Urbanspoon and they definitely deserve that spot. We stopped at the top restaurants in each city and on the way there and back. This one was one of the best along the entire trip and we were surprised to find it in such a small town. We dared my daughter to try the burger on donut buns and she loved it. I had the cole slaw which was outstanding. My husband had the pizza hot dog. The food sounds crazy but is delicious. The owner came to our table to take our order and explained the beers and menu and helped us choose. She made us feel well taken care of. We will definitely return each time we travel to and from St. Louis.

2  Thank natalie g
Reviewed June 2, 2013

This place is great! It has a nice local flare, local art work lines the walls. On the third Thursdays Art Walk there is often times a long waiting line. Food is great too.