“Great Food, Excellent Lunch Buffet, Watch for Add On's, Bad Service”

CASA MONTEZ MEXICAN RESTAURANT
Ranked #150 of 225 Restaurants in Joplin
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Buffet
Description: Joplins oldest mexican restaurant, celebrating 45 years in business. Featuring sizzling fajitas, handmade tamales, carne asada tacos, and mouth watering carnitas. Our signature cheesedip has been voted best in the four states. For a lighter fare try our sante cruz enchiladas or our florentine burritos made with our unique white cruz sauce. Our famous magaritas have been selected as the best in missouri by AAA travel magazine.
Kansas
“Great Food, Excellent Lunch Buffet, Watch for Add On's, Bad Service”
Reviewed April 9, 2013

I love Casa Montez and eat there everytime I am in town. The Lunch buffet is by far the best at the best price. The menu is extensive with authentic Mexican food but the add on's are a killer and not noted on the menu. Wait staff seem to be clueless about the cost but when the bill comes it can range up to $4.00 extra per plate. A good example is I didn't want green peppers and asked for extra onion....extra charge, beans instead of rice...extra charge, different sauce that is offered on the same price item....extra charge, get the fajita's which are wonderful but you need 1 extra tortillia....extra charge and the list goes on and on. One day they will not charge for these items and the next time they will or things they never charged for all of a sudden have a $2.00 extra charge. I asked for no cheese but wanted extra lettuce instead....$1.25. It just gets old. If I remove a more expensive item then why must I pay more for a cheaper replacement? Sometimes big burrito and the other person that ordered the same exact item has a burrito 1/2 the size. Do you not think people sitting at the same table with the same food do not notice. No guac but sour cream in it's place....$1.25 charge. Come on a charge a price for your food and be done with this stupid add on's or maybe you should deduct what is not served and then charge for the replacement. Management is little to none and servers do what ever they want. Many times I have received cold food. Service is terrible so not sure who is running this place. I saw one server ask a family of 6 why they didn't leave him a tip and they said b/c their food was cold and bad service. Service became rude and told them not to return. So where is management when servers are telling customers not to return due to a tip?
I still return b/c the food is authentic and always good. Just tired of the add on's and bad service and so are other customers. There is a lack of leadership and customer service but the food is still amazing. If they would post the add on prices on the menu and don't surprise the customer when the check arrives would be a smart business move.
Still love the food!

• Visited March 2013

Boone, Iowa
“The buffet is a must try!”
Reviewed March 7, 2013 via mobile

This is my first time to Casa Montez. I came for the lunch buffet. very nice selection enchiladas, chimichamgas, fajitas and of course the rice and beans and chips with salsa or cheese sauce. tasted freshly prepared

1 Thank init4keeps
Pittsburg, Kansas
“Good Mexican”
Reviewed February 27, 2013

I like the unusual taste of this food. It isn't a generic flavor for accommodation or acceptance. I liked the staff and casual atmosphere.

Visited May 2012
Joplin, MO
“Good mexican food that's nice and affordable”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Well I've been going to Casa Montez for several years, and I think its great. I'll start off by saying that I only order a few things there, they have a good variety, but not everything is amazing. But it's pretty good food and very affordable. Plus it's one of the few non chain restaurants in Joplin that's managed to stay in business for a year.

• Visited January 2013
Neosho, Missouri, United States
“Casa Montez Mexican Restaurant”
Reviewed December 13, 2012

Great food, great service, they have a great all you can eat buffet that is well worth the money. Also enjoyed the atmosphere.

Visited August 2012