“Great Greasy Spoon”
Review of Fred & Red's

Fred & Red's
Ranked #71 of 242 Restaurants in Joplin
Description: Fred & Red's is an iconic diner and restaurant in Joplin MO serving tamales, chili, hamburgers, cony hot dogs and its celebrated spaghetti red. Since 1923 the restaurant has been serving its legendary chili and today the recipe has remained in-tact. When you order a plate of chili, you will taste the same famous original recipe created nearly 100 years ago. The restaurant has been visited by many celebrities, but our joy comes in serving the local residents. Come out and enjoy a piece of history at the original and famous Fred & Red’s in Joplin MO.
Reviewed August 2, 2017

We have been a few times since they reopened with new ownership. Chili isn't as greasy as it was with the previous owners. I think it's better. Their cheesburgers and fries are excellent. Service has been good every time we have gone. I can't wait to go again.

Reviewed June 15, 2017

I have not been to Fred & Red's in over 20 years but when I had it last month it brought back great memories and the Spaghetti Red tasted exactly the same. Can't wait to take my kids.

Reviewed February 11, 2017 via mobile

Food tastes the same as it always does. I always get Spaghetti Red and my husband always gets the Tamala spread. Have eaten here over them past 40 years and am so glad they reopened. Seating is limited meted so be prepared for a wait if you go at noon or 5:00pm. Plan accordingly.

1  Thank Sue C
Reviewed January 4, 2017 via mobile

First, let me thank and congratulate the new owner on his opening and improvments. It was with great anticipation that we went to try out the new Fred & Reds.
Things we noticed (when compared with 'before'), the chili seemed gritty; the pickles/onions come on the spaghetti now, instead on a separate place-resulting in less chili; we felt the actual spaghetti was dry; and finally, the crackers were not warm.
When I asked the waitress for some more chili to 'cover' the spaghetti, she took care of it. She was friendly and prompt. We were surprised that the cashier didn't thank us for coming or about our food, itself.
We wish the best for the restaurant, but know that the management has big shoes to fill, trying to replicate a tradition and landmark.