“Furniture is all worn out.”

Capitol Plaza Hotel & Convention Center Jefferson City
Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Jefferson City
Reviewed January 11, 2010

We have stayed here before but it may not be a good choice any longer. The furnishings are worn out. Chairs have dirt and tears. The lobby has been freshened lately. The room service prices are better than some. A big problem is a strong musty perfume smell. I have to wonder what is being covered up when strongly scented cleaners and carpet powders are used.

2  Thank SeattleME

Reviewed October 26, 2009

We stayed here for my son's soccer tournament, a group of boys 11-13 years old. After a long drive we arrived at the hotel just before midnight. Check in was quick. When we got to our room we were a bit upset that it only had one bed for the 3 of us after I reserved 2 double beds. The toilet seal leaked every where so I had to call the front desk and switch rooms, they moved us right next door into a room with 2 beds..what?! Why weren't we given this room in the beginning? This hotel was the smokiest, smelliest place I have stayed in. I was glad that at least our room did not smell too bad, but as soon as you walked into the hallway or lobby the smell of smoke was EVERYWHERE- not a good place for kids! The elevators inside were filthy, as were the floor in the hallway, and room.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank ShelO
Reviewed September 14, 2009

My family recently stayed at this hotel because we were unable to find vacancy in the town that we were visiting. Upon entering our "Executive Suite", we found that a light bulb and television remote control needed to be replaced, The replacements were brought up in a acceptable amount of time. The room itself, however, had a terrible smell. We asked to change rooms, but because of a convention, we were unable to do so. The rug in the bathroom looked like it had never been cleaned (it was white). The shower had spots of mold. We decided to have the buffet breakfast. At 9:30 a.m., the food was already cold and we had to wait for the food bins to be replenished. This would be a very last resort hotel in the future. The one positive was that it was across the street from the state capitol which was very nice.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank papasgirlkoka
Reviewed July 31, 2009

My family and friends just stayed at the Capitol Plaza for a graduation. The hotel itself was attractive despite being a little bit older. Check in was quick and efficient. The only slow part was waiting for an elevator (there are only 2) as the hotel was full. Our room was clean and comfortable, we were on the 7th floor. Our king size bed was comfortable and the rooms nicely appointed. Nice open atrium area with a waterfall. The hotel had a resatuarant where you could order off menu for breakfast or get the breakfast buffet, or room service. Overall, it is a comfortable stay for the money ($59 with a group discount!). Free parking. A good family stay or business stay on a budget.

Stayed: July 2009, traveled with friends
3  Thank sunandbeachSt.Louis
Reviewed July 23, 2009

My family just stayed at the Capitol Plaza for a conference. The hotel itself was attractive despite being a little bit older. Check in was quick and efficient. The only slow part was waiting for an elevator (there are only 2) as the hotel was full. Our room was clean and comfortable. I had read earlier reviews and was concerned about the room, but the only odor we noticed was a residual scent from bathroom cleaner. The beds were comfortable and the rooms nicely appointed. The hotel had a breakfast buffet which was a little pricey for a family of 6 ($10.95 adults and $6.95 kids) and although it had a nice selection, the food was a bit bland and not overly impressive. But if you are really hungry, I guess it's a good deal. Every staff member we encountered was efficient and polite to us. The pool was a bit small for the size of the hotel. Overall, it is a comfortable stay for the money ($67 with a group discount!). It is a grand dame showing a bit of age but still clean and comfortable. If you are expecting gourmet food or fancier details, you are asking a lot considering what the rates are here. Free parking. A good family stay or business stay on a budget.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled on business
2  Thank Lisa T
Reviewed April 8, 2009

I keep reading all these reviews that say "musty smell" and "the room had an odor." In my opinion, the place has got to have mold growing inside the walls. You may THINK that the indoor fountain is cool, but when you get a better look at it, you'll see the paint chipping and mold growing around the edges. Not very healthy or sanitary. Where is the health department when you need them?

I stayed here for a convention this past weekend and was extremely disappointed. The food was terrible, the housekeeping staff came into the room, without announcing themselves, to find me in my bra and underwear, as I was walking to the door to see who it was, and the maintance staff felt it necessary to vacuum the GLASS elevator at 9:30 at night just as we were getting out of our evening session (200+ hungry, 'cause the food was awful, exhausted, impatient women is not a pretty site). Unfortunately, the conference is scheduled to be at this hotel again next year. And although I will be attending the conference, I will NOT be staying at this hotel. There is a Doubletree right up the street that will be getting my business....even if it costs more.

I'm not a snob about hotels. As long as it's clean and there's a working bathroom, I'm usually pretty happy - rarely diappointed. But I just couldn't get past the dirty smell of mold.

Being a meeting planner and travel coordinator, I am just sad to know that I have booked people to stay at this hotel for other conferences. It is shoking to me that this hotel can stay in business.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank moviegirl74
Reviewed July 8, 2008

We got a smoking low rate here as part of a large wedding party that booked a block of rooms in advance ($59 a night!!). Hotel is like a Hyatt Regency in that it has a HUGE central atrium surrounded by nine floors of balconies and rooms. It is actually pretty spectacular for a moderately priced hotel. It has a watefall that keeps the air from getting too dry with the heavy AC that it needs to keep cool. Rooms were fine, not five star but good sized, clean and comforatble. The real shining stars here are the staff. They are just plain nice, from housekeeping to front desk to wait staff and bartender. The food needs some attention though. They served us fruit cups that had fruit that had started to ferment, probably left over from the buffet. Oatmeal is GREAT, done just right and cheap too. Food prices are very low for a hotel, so remember to tip generously, the waitresses probably don't earn much. They work hard and are really gracious. Housekeeping does a good job here too. Nice gym and pool too, very clean. I'd come back.

• Stayed: July 2008
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank 377