“Worst hotel I have ever stayed in!”

Capitol Plaza Hotel & Convention Center Jefferson City
Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Jefferson City
Reviewed August 17, 2012

I am a business traveller and i have experienced all sorts of hotels and motels in my time. This ranks as one of the worst. My first room smelled like someone was using it as a hair salon and mold factory all on one. There were large red stains on the carpeting which was also bunching up and seperating from the walls. Blogged of mold could be found from the bathroom to the bedroom along the walls and the ceiling. A remarkable group of stains ranging from what looked like blood to semen could be found on the bedding and pillows. And as the topper, a stain which resembled dried urine graced the wall. After my stay, I got my parting gift, big bites covering my arms, back and face. While the doctor could say for sure that they were bedbugs, it was his best guess. Avoid at all costs!

• Stayed: August 2012
2  Thank jakesales
CMac54, Manager at Capitol Plaza Hotel & Convention Center Jefferson City, responded to this reviewResponded October 5, 2012

The professional staff and management at this hotel are always eager to do our utmost to provide exceptional service to all of our valued guests. I am sorry that this issue was not brought to our attention at the time of stay. We would certainly have made every effort to resolve the issues described.

Providing a safe and comfortable environment for our guests and employees is of the utmost importance to hotel management. As a part of our hotel quality policies and procedures, we regularly review and conduct ongoing measures to ensure exemplary on-site health and safety and cleanliness standards are maintained.

I should add that all of our guest rooms are scheduled for renovation next month, and a licensed and certified entomologist has inspected our facility and pronounced it to be "bed bug free".

Reviewed July 23, 2012

I hold meetings at this hotel and actually spent my wedding night there. I have not one problem with this hotel. I love the renovations that are taking place. We just held the Joint Meeting Planners Tradeshow there and it was just perfect. This is a great location in Jefferson City and the value is perfect. Pleae come and see what they have to offer.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Cathy E
Reviewed July 16, 2012

Recently stayed here and do not recommend this hotel. It is a disgrace to be a John Hammons property. It is a poor example for a hotel in the capitol city of Missouri in my opinion. They have two elevators and one service elevator. At one point none of them were working. Most of the time we were there only one elevator actually worked. There are plenty of signs saying "pardon our progress" but they should say pardon our lack of progress this has been going on for way too long. The check in staff was unprofessional. The housekeeping folks were slower than molasses when called upon. The hotel staff in general had more excuses than carter has pills. Our room obviously was not clean because I placed my hand down on the half wall in our suite only to put it in a sticky substance? it appeared to be from a previous visitors glass of what ever.

Room Tip: look before you pay
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
4  Thank ray w
CMac54, Manager at Capitol Plaza Hotel & Convention Center Jefferson City, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2012

I am very dismayed to hear of your dissatisfaction with our hotel. While it is true that we are in the process of modernizing all of our elevators; our plan was to have only one down at a time thus minimizing the negative impact on our guests. So yes, it is taking far longer than any of would like. Regardless, these elevators have been workhorses for 25 years at our hotel and we will be happy to have this major project completed soon.
It is unfortunate that our staff was not on point during your stay. We are better than that and I offer no excuses. I am truly sorry that we were unable to meet the high standards that one can usually expect from John Q Hammons property. The team here works hard to satisfy our guests and we apparently did not rise to the occasion during your stay.
We do appreciate your feedback however, as we strive to improve and exceed the expectations of all of our guests each and every day.

Reviewed July 16, 2012

The room was clean, but there are no rooms on the main level. While I was there, one of the elevators was out of service. We had the option of using the main elevator or the staff elevator. I usually chose the staff elevator as I was there on a conference and there were many of the conference attendees staying at the hotel and the staff elevator was faster.

My room was clean and had plenty of space. The staff was friendly at the front desk; however, I heard one of the kitchen staff saying negative things while waiting on tables during our conference luncheon. Option for underground parking or on the hotel grounds. Close to the State Capitol and other visitor attractions. Easy to get off and on 50 highway.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the 2nd floor so that your elevator time is minimized while only one elevator i...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank jcoop246
Reviewed June 15, 2012

Spent a night in June while biking the adjacent Katy Trail. Comfortable and clean. Had to walk bikes through lobby to elevator. Courtesy shampoo was smallest I had ever seen- 3/4 of oz.
Good location two blocks from Governor's mansion. Pool and free internet.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank mark m
Management response:Responded June 26, 2012

Thank you very much for your review. We value your opinion. We do apologize for not communicating that we have storage on the first level for bikes. We are currently looking into our amenities package, although we are always willing to provide as many extra amenities at our guests’ request. Again, thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. We hope to see you in the future.

Reviewed June 13, 2012

I have stayed at a lot of hotels in my 15 years of business travel. This week I traveled to Jefferson Cuty for a convention and stayed at Capitol Plaza.

Issues -

One elevator working is not acceptable and not communicated at the time reservations were made.

Breakfast - not sure what I ate, and at 7:30am it is not acceptable to wait to be seated for 5 minutes when the restaurant was less than a 1/3 full. Staff walked by and looked at me like I was from mars. Maybe they don't know what a suit a tie business traveler looks like - I guess. Then when seated no one came to my table. I had to stop one of the three staff to ask if was a self service resteraunt, which is was including getting your own coffee and juice.

Smoking - it is so pleasant walking in and out of the hotel with smokers hovering the front door and enveloping you with secondhand smoke - to include hotel staff and construction crews working on the one elevator.

The decor felt like the 1980's

I am 6'2" feet tall. The shower head hit me in the throat...not the water stream...the actual shower head. I guess people were much shorter when the hotel was built.

Lunch - same comments as breakfast - I am not sure what I ate but I did order the hamburger. The young lady that finally noticed us was pleasant and accommodating. I think she realized I was the same guy from mars from breakfast and attempted to accommodate us.

The common areas - lobby, atrium, loot lobbies, etc - was humid and unpleasantly wam all day.

I will try another hotel or drive over from KC next time.

Room Tip: Chose wisely. Ask if there is construction. Aske if the elevators are working. The a/c n the 5th in...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
5  Thank Minelson
Management response:Responded June 26, 2012

We were very disappointed when we received your review. As a convention hotel we accommodate a large and diverse clientele. The food and beverage outlets usually receive exceptional comments, from the service to the product. We would like to apologize for your unacceptable experience. Thank you for taking the time to write the review. All comments are valuable to us regardless if they are positive or negative. There is always room for improvement.

Reviewed May 30, 2012

We stayed at the Capitol Plaza Hotel on May 25 while attending the State Track Championships. I felt lucky to get a room for the weekend! We were given excellent and friendly service from the front desk staff and we were not dissapointed by our room. The room size was good and there was plenty of space for our four family members. The front desk staff directed us to excellent locations to eat including Mel's Country Cafe (which we highly recommend; they have homemade PIE and excellent breakfast) and were helpful in giving good directions for Jeff City. Is it luxurious or fancy, no - but clean and they had great pillows. We thought the location was excellent too - good access to the highway and also to Lincoln College. As stated by another reviewer, you should bring your own conditioner and lotion as their tollitres consist of soap and shampoo, but if you are prepared for that, no worries.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family