“The food excellent, atmosphere and service not so much.”
Review of Madison's Cafe

Madison's Cafe
Cuisines: Italian, Seafood, Steakhouse
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Madison's Café, a ‘Jefferson City Tradition’ since 1982, offers casual, relaxed, yet elegant dining, with a focus on northern Italian, American and eclectic cuisine: mouthwatering appetizers, salads, soups, sandwiches, pasta, hand-cut steaks, seafood, and a variety of signature dishes. Our menu changes often, reflecting use of locally sourced products: from tomatoes and vegetables, to herbs from our own herb garden. Our gluten-free fare, whole wheat pasta, and a wide variety of vegetarian fare pleases the most sensitive palate. Our environment is unique and inviting—a gathering place for family and friends, or perfect for that romantic evening out. We have two excellently appointed private dining rooms for any special event or business meeting. Off-site catering services are available from small intimate gatherings to over 300. Carry out is always available. Al fresco dining on our large patio is wonderful when weather permits! Come to Madison's where you restore your spirit and share the simple pleasures with family and friends…one delicious bite at a time Located in beautiful downtown, two and a half blocks from the Capitol; a half-block from the Governor's Mansion; five blocks from the historic Missouri State Penitentiary; three blocks from the Amtrak Station; about a 1/2 mile from the bridge bike/walk crossing to the Katy Trail, and directly across the street from the Madison Street parking garage.
Reviewed February 25, 2013

My husband and I tried Madison's on a weekend trip to Jefferson City. The decor is really old and a bit dusty looking. The dining room they sat us in was fully lit and a bit "fast food" feeling. So we asked to be moved to the other dining room which was off of the bar and more dimly lit, a bit more cozy. The entire time we were eating, the servers who were off the clock were sitting very close to us at the bar finishing up work or just chatting. It was really distracting and a bit unprofessional. (We are both former servers and thought it weird that management allowed this.) Our own server, while nice, seemed agitated and jumpy. He was really scatterbrained. Everything was served in a timely manner and the dishes we ordered were excellent. I mean, really really good. We shared the lobster ravioli and the steak modega. The salads were large for the price.

We will return, but maybe not for a special evening.

Reviewed February 21, 2013

When I think of a cafe, I think of a diner food type experience. Don't get me wrong, I love diner food too, but in my mind Madison's is defintiely not where you will experience diner food. This is an extrremely nice restaurant serving wondrful food. I know the cafe is a throwback to the many years it has operated close to the capitol and provided nutritions for the thosdands of lawmakers who frequently visit, but back to the food. We were there on a Wenesday on purpose because the specialty is Chicken Marsala. If you are near the capitol of MO on a Wenesday, then lunch is a no brainer; go to Madison's for the Chicken Marsala. We dine in Madison's whenver the opportunity presents, and have tried several of the menu items. We have never been disappointed. The service at Madison's is wonderful as well, and is a throwback to how we envisioned quality restaurants years ago. Fresh baked bread is brought to you table, and your servers will ask if you would like butter or vinegar and oil with fresh gound pepper and parmesan cheese. I don't ever recall that option in my favorite diners. Our food was served in courses and presented very promptly. The served was prompt, but at the same time, we did not feel rushed. You will have a salad option at Madison's and our faviorite is the combination salad. It comes with iceberg lettuce, black olive, cherry tomato, creamy italian dressing and loaded with provolone cheese. The bread and the sald could almost be a meal. Eating at Madison's is just a great dining experience. If only the walls could talk. I can not imagine the number of deals that have been contrived by those dining in Madison's. As an example of the excellent service, I mistakenly left a personal item af out table. One of the staff took the time to leave the restaurnat, walk accross the street and find us in the parking garage to return it. By the way, do park in the public parking garage accorss the street, and have your ticket validated at he restaurnat. Your parking will be free. Do take the time to go to this wonderful restaurant, or cafe, you will be very happy you did so.

Reviewed February 20, 2013

Our group just found this place by chance and decided to try it. I got the stuffed mushrooms and the salad. The salad was awesome (except for the iceberg lettuce), but the mushrooms were so awful...just extremely bland. I hate giving bad reviews but I was so disappointed. The service was great and atmosphere was pleasant but I paid 20 bucks for a meal I didn't eat. I would give them another chance for sure but if you are going don't get the mushrooms. I tried the fried zucchini which was amazing. I would give them another chance if I was here in the future.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

We selected the restaurant based on reviews and brought our friends, who we were visiting. They live in JC and had been at Madison's before. The past was very good and the salads delicious. Our waitress was efficient but not interested in us at all. Someone neglected to tell her we are guests.

Reviewed January 6, 2013

We typically love to eat here and the food is always good. I love the combination salad. Their pastas are always good. We were seated by some serving area off to the left when you go into the main dining area. All the servers kept reaching behind my wife's head to get water and stepped on her purse a few times. It was odd. I would ask to be moved if I was ever put there again. We will go back, it just wasn't a 5 star night.

1  Thank Kemper07