“Outstanding hotel”

Ranked #1 of 13 Hotels in Jefferson City
White Hall, Illinois, United States
“Outstanding hotel”
Reviewed July 14, 2012

Through my work travel I find myself staying frequently at this hotel. It is beautiful both inside and out. The cleanliness of the rooms, the great customer service and friendliness of the staff rates a 5 with me. One of my favorite features is the attention to cleanliness, they even provide special TV remotes that are able to be sanitized between guests. I have worked in healthcare since 1978, this tiny feature can be so important to hygiene and health. If passing through Jefferson City, MO I would encourage you to choose this hotel for your overnight stay. Grab a fresh baked chocolate chip cookie as you register also, they are delicious!

Room Tip: I would also like to add that the indoor pool is equipped with a handicap chair lift. When travelin...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Decatur, Illinois
Reviewed July 5, 2012

We stopped here on the way home from Eureka Springs AR with three other couples and were amazed at how nice it is. The rooms are huge, nice, clean, the pool was great, chocolate chip cookies and Douwe Egberts coffee awesome...we hope to return here and just spend a couple of nights we like it so much.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed June 29, 2012

What a treat it was to stay at this hotel for two nights! The gal checking us in was pleasant and helpful. Our room was beautiful & large. It had a big bathroom with high counter, outlets everywhere, free WiFi, huge TV with many channel choices, big desk area, good lighting, couch, chair and coffee table. We travel a lot, and really were impressed. There were two night stands on each side of the King size bed. We felt like we were in a 5 star hotel! Breakfast was nice & free. The breakfast room was large and the staff made sure food did not run out. We didn’t feel crowded. The parking lot had good lighting and we felt safe. The only complaint we had was that the small frig did not work very well. They said they will take care of it. We used this as a base to do some sightseeing. Jefferson City is in a very pretty area. One night we ate at Oscar’s Classic Diner. That was nice. We did a free tour of the capitol. Check out the National Cemetery in town. Warm Springs Ranch where the Budweiser Clydesdales are bred is about 90 minutes away. That was the highlight of our trip to Missouri.

Room Tip: Ask if the frig is working in the room.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Springfield, Illinois
Reviewed June 28, 2012

The room is spacious, always clean and the little breakfast is a nice addition to our stay, we have stayed there 3 times al ready and we are planning to come back!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank vjung
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed June 24, 2012

I want to start by echoing what some of the other people said - I'm just blown away by the fact that this is a Best Western. If you just went by the feel of the place, it seems much more like a Hilton or a Sheraton.

Check in starts in a nice lobby (with free cookies!) and a very friendly receptionist. I had a pre-paid reservation so I gave her my name, she gave me my key at that was it - super fast. She did take a minute to explain to me the perks though - pool, hot tub, free breakfast.

The rooms themselves are huge! You've got a decent size bathroom, sitting area and then the bed / desk area. Free wi-fi. Huge TV (mine wouldn't turn on at first but a quick check of the plug in the back of the TV showed that the maid must have moved the TV and the plug came loose). One of the best TV line ups I've ever seen in a hotel - they had Comedy Central even and that is hard to find! Quite a few HD channels. The bed itself was good, nice sheets. I didn't use the sitting area but I could see holding a small (3-5 people) meeting there or using it for a place for the kids to sprawl out. The shower was good and the tub was actually nice enough that I felt comfortable taking a bath - some of those older hotels make me a bit leery of soaking. Plenty of counter space.

I would say the only drawback to the room was the AC. It was 95 when I was there and the AC was more than capable of handling that! It was a super freeze type. The problem was, the room really is huge. So you've got super AC on one side, making icicles, and the thermostat on the other side. The bed area would get to be freezing and the thermostat was still registering that it had a few degrees left to go. It wasn't too big of a deal for me, I left the AC on during the day to drop the temp of the room and then just turned it off when I got in for the evening, but if you were going to be in the room a lot, I'd recommend asking the staff for some sort of fan to circulate the air and a winter blanket for sleeping.

I didn't get a chance to try the pool area but it looked very clean and never too crowded. I did the breakfast one morning and it was good. Better than a lot of hotels, not as good as if you went out and paid for a nice restaurant. It was free and filling though, always nice :)

The maid situation was interesting. I don't like people in my room (I'm not worried about theft - I just really don't need a stranger folding my dirty underwear) so I always leave out the "Do Not Disturb" sign. After the first day I got a note under the door saying that they honored my request but their policy was to clean every other day so they'd be in the next day. I called the front desk, told them I really didn't want that and they did honor that. On my last day, I noticed a second door hanger on the desk which could be used to specify the exact level of cleaning you wanted, including what time you wanted it. Seems like a great idea and I assume if you filled that out on your first day, you wouldn't even need to call the front desk.

The hotel does share its large parking lot with a KFC if you wanted to get some quick dinner. Across the highway are several other restaurants - Country Kitchen, Perkins, Culvers, McDs. Or, if you leave the hotel and head back towards the highway but make a right at the light, there is a strip mall about half a mile up with Chinese, Mexican (great food!), pizza and Rolly Poly. I had hoped to walk to the Mexican place so I could have a margarita but there were no sidewalks anywhere.

All in all, I've been recommending this hotel to all my colleagues that travel to Jeff City on a regular basis. It's super cheap, convenient location with those little extra amenities that help it really stand out in a good way!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank SusanM223
Monett, Missouri
Reviewed June 11, 2012

We chose this location as a stop-over on a long trip. The Mrs. didn't want to leave. Staff was great, room was just right and they serve the best quality breakfast I've seen in a long time.

Room Tip: Looking for a quiet location, easy access to highway, and everything you could need for an overnigh...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Bloomington, Illinois
Reviewed May 22, 2012

When we got there, they gave us a room that hadn't been cleaned yet... At this point, we should have known that $100 was way too much for this place. We got a clean room after their blunder and suited up to get in the pool. It was filthy. I am an avid diver so I am used to a little dirt at the bottom of the pool... The water was so murky, I could hardly see even with goggles. Pools are obviously a big deal to me so this kind of ruined our time in Jeff City as it's a pretty boring city... Swimming was supposed to be the fun part.
The rooms: actually very decent. The only negative thing would be the bed. It was so uncomfortable I had trouble sleeping. The shower, however, was great. It was one that you could adjust the settings. I picked the rain drops:)
Lastly, the breakfast. Let's just say to sum to sum up: Free continental breakfast= Plan on eating elsewhere. Yuck.
If for some ungodly reason I have to travel to Jefferson City again, we will be staying somewhere else.

• Stayed May 2012
1 Thank DareU2Move
BWCapitalInn, Manager at Best Western Plus Capital Inn, responded to this review, May 24, 2012
Thank you for leaving your candid review. I apologize for you being checked into an unclean room. Our staff works hard to provide award-winning cleanliness for guests, so there must have been a mistake when turning rooms clean.

We are proud of our quartz-lined salt water pool and have never seen an instance where our indoor pool has been murky.

All our beds are newer high-quality Simmons Beauty Rest with Health Smart tops. I understand mattress firmness is a personal preference and ours do lean more towards the firm side.

I know breakfast is also very personal to many people. We prepare our scrambled eggs and hash browns every day without salt and pepper to best accommodate guests that cannot consume certain seasonings; therefore, we offer salt and pepper on the tables for guests to season to their taste. We hope that our variety of other breakfast options may suit tastes of those not wanting the scrambled eggs, hash browns or sausage.